Quantcast

Juicy Carbons vs Saints

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
Hey guys,

At the moment I'm running some 06 Juicy Carbons on my Balfa. I don't have any real complaints about them, they don't seem to be overly powerful though (and I'm not huge) but they work well enough.

I've just been offered a deal on a swap for some pretty much brand new Shimano Saints, plus an extra $125nzd/about $100us my way. I'm in need of a bit of cash so I'm pretty tempted to go for it, but I'd thought I'd get a few other opinions first.

I've got a Deore brake on my DJ bike, I'm pretty happy with it but due to a broken wrist I haven't had much of a chance to test it out. I like the levers on my Juicy's a bit more though.

How do Saints compare to the Juicy's? I'm guessing they have the edge on power and reliability? (from what I've gathered reading around about them)

Just doing a rough add up of the weights of the calliper/lever/brake hose I've come up with a weight of aout 360g/end for the Saints, which would put them at about 80g heavier than a Juicy Carbon. Can anyone confirm these weights?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Sam.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
You could just pick up some Code calipers. You could probably mate up the new Formulas with Juicy levers too.

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
Would like to do that but can't really afford to. If I swap for the Saints I'll have some extra money in my hand, hence why I'm asking for opinions on them. What I want to know is whether Saints are a better brake and if it's a good deal. Thanks.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I have 3 sets of Juicy Carbons and I love them. I've ridden a couple of my friends bikes that have Shimano's. I think they run the XT's but they could be the Saints. Whenever I've ridden their bikes I always found that they locked up a little too easy. I had a hard time learning to control them. They seemed to be pretty much on/off. Eventually I got it down a bit, but I am far more comfortable with my Juicy Carbons.

-Kevin

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
hey why not swap the brakes out, get the money, try the brakes see how you like them. if not sell them and buy new ones when you have the money. live life, take a chance.

and plus your wrist is broke anyway.

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
Yea thats what I'm thinking. He claims the Saints are only two rides old, whereas my Juicy's have had a bit of a hard life. Brand new sets of Juicy Carbons go pretty cheap on the net anyway I guess.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Sorry, I read it incorrectly. I thought you had to pay $125 (and you really wanted new brakes without spending a ton of money). Definitely go for it. Saints are great. They're powerful with good modulation and are easy to bleed.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
juicy carbons got an upgrade this year as well making yours worth a bit less, i'd do the switch and see what you think. Part of the fun is trying new parts when you can. You'll gain maybe 20g each side at most.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
yea, its really not worth worrying about and they are really only weigh a hair more. They're killer brakes. They're reliable, are easy to maintain, and are strong brakes.

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
Exactly, I always thought they were at least 100g heavier an end so my bike would've gained half a pound. Even then I would still be pretty much convinced.

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
Oh cool, thanks for that. I put in the weight for two brake hoses instead of one haha

"Lever = 122g
Calliper (incl. Pads) = 119g
Brake Hoses = 120g
Total = 361g"

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
had my saints for a year now, and they are amazing, so simple to bleed, always work, and you can get parts anywear... When i was out in the alps they were the only brakes that could take a whole season...lol

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
go for the saints.
got them as stock on my '08 glory dh and was a bit skeptical. but they work really good, and as mentioned above, are hassle free, easy to bleed and use mineral oil.