Juke or puke?

pukorjuke

• Total voters

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I'm kind of in love with the new Nissan Juke. It's sporty, has a small amount of off-road capacity, is extremely efficient due to direct injection, has a reasonable 0-60 time, AWD for the snow, and a small footprint for traffic and parking.

Shame it's so ugly though.

So let's have it...is it Juke, or puke?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is this like kinda digging a fattish chick, but you wont date her youre worried about what your friends will think?

If you like it, go for it.
I really don't care personally about what other people think about it...I kind of like that it's so ugly. I'm just wondering. My decision to buy one or not is mostly based on whether I can afford one, and whether my audi craps out or not.

I forgot the best part...the damn thing comes loaded at 23gs...nav and all.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I really don't care personally about what other people think about it...I kind of like that it's so ugly. I'm just wondering. My decision to buy one or not is mostly based on whether I can afford one, and whether my audi craps out or not.

What exactly is "loaded"? Banks give you a free Garmin just for opening a savings account and depositing $100

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

Ive seen it irl a couple times now, thought it looked better then in the pics for what its worth.
And the price is definitly sweet.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I was looking at this as well. It is very interesting given the possibile utility and 1.6L direct inject turbo motor. The weird part is the combination of the turbo, AWD system with the CVT transmission. If it had a 6spd sequential instead of the CVT I would be more intrigued. Good news is my Fiance' likes it too, so we may go test drive one just for fun.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The weird part is the combination of the turbo, AWD system with the CVT transmission. If it had a 6spd sequential instead of the CVT I would be more intrigued.
why is that so weird? it would be weird if Nissan didnt use their CVT.
6spd "sequentials" arent really used by anyone besides luxury or "supercar" mfgs. a DSG would be a better option then a "normal" tranny, but they still arent as efficient as Nissan's CVT

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My decision to buy one or not is mostly based on whether I can afford one, and whether my audi craps out or not.
Well since it is an Audi I'd say the chances are 100% (ok, 99.999999999%) that it will crap out.

Don't gemme wrong, I love Audi but they don't hold up that well IMO.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
why is that so weird? it would be weird if Nissan didnt use their CVT.
6spd "sequentials" arent really used by anyone besides luxury or "supercar" mfgs. a DSG would be a better option then a "normal" tranny, but they still arent as efficient as Nissan's CVT
Sorry I meant DSG not sequential. The CVT is still weird a little weird to me (I have driven a few in rental cars), I am not saying its bad. It would just seem more appealing (mostly to folks like us) with a 6spd or 6sp DSG option vs the CVT in the AWD version.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sorry I meant DSG not sequential. The CVT is still weird a little weird to me (I have driven a few in rental cars), I am not saying its bad. It would just seem more appealing (mostly to folks like us) with a 6spd or 6sp DSG option vs the CVT in the AWD version.
it does take some getting used to, but after enough time with one, getting back into a normal tranny seems weird. i put about 30k hard miles in less than a year on my '09 Altima and loved it's transmission.
CVTs are much simpler, always in the right gear and Nissan offers a 10/120k warranty on the tranny alone.
while a DSG might have better performance, they arent better in mileage dept.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can a bike fit inside with the wheels on?

If not, kill it, kill it with fire.
Extremely doubtful...but I have never owned a car that you could do that in...even with a blazer and a wagon...but taking the front wheel off, well maybe. Regardless, I'm sure you can get a hitch for it, eventually, and that's a much better solution for carting bikes around, as I'm learning.

What exactly is "loaded"? Banks give you a free Garmin just for opening a savings account and depositing $100
CVT, AWD, navigation, heated seats, etc. Yeah, they'll give you a garmin from 8 years ago....it's a compact car that wants to be an SUV. It's not going to replace a jeep, but it'll do a lot better than my lowered S6 getting into the highland parking lot...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Huh. I've never owned a car I could NOT do that in.

Anyway, since you don't care what other people think, I won't tell you I think it looks like the butt-ugly sister of a Pontiac Aztek and an Infiniti.

:rolleyes:
too true.

I guess I should preface that by specifying DH bike, with a boxxer and 1.5" HT, meaning zero turning radius, and 32" handlebars. It would probably swallow my trek whole, I just never bothered to find out.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was a moped nerd before I turned 16 and grew to hate the belt drive cvt, I had the perception it was limiting the potential of my 50cc Puch.

I vote Juke for the future cult potential.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was a moped nerd before I turned 16 and grew to hate the belt drive cvt, I had the perception it was limiting the potential of my 50cc Puch.
for low powered vehicles, yes, CVT's are teh suck. but a underpowered moped with a real 2-speed is even worse.

i was into mopeds as a kid as well :cool:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would find out how it drives. There was a scathing review from a Toronto paper on the Cube, and I lost all interest immediately.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Total fail in my opinion. If they'd gone for something that looked slightly less... cartoony it might be a different story, but do you honestly think that that look is going to age well? In another 4-5 years are you going to look at it and still think that it looks funky and cool?

Specs look great ($20k for 180hp turbo'd 1.6, AWD), but there's no way you'd catch me in that thing...

edit: It also has half the cargo space of a Fit, primarily thanks to it's design. Um, yeah, no thanks.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
There was a scathing review from a Toronto paper on the Cube, and I lost all interest immediately.
thats because that thing is a POS and looks even worse than the Juke. they must have been smoking crack when they designed the ass of that thing

if you want a shoebox, that Kia Soul is the best looking car of the bunch...and i say that gingerly