Quantcast

jump building

S

seespotendo

so ive started to build a jump to gap a driveway. :lighten:
i measured it out and its about a 15ft gap to a downhill so i think a landing will not be needed.
any ideas about the size of a jump i will need?
i can post some pics if that will help.

thanks
nick

S

seespotendo

speed is not an issue, heres a pic off the approach.
i think i needed a race type jump with a bit of a lip. but im not really sure . ive never built anything like this.:imstupid:

Based upon the flatness of the landing, I personally would suggest a flatter type of lip because a lippier version will put you higher and on flatter landings it wont be very smooth but a flat lip like on a race course will give enough height to clear it without putting you up super high. I would say a 2-3 foot tall lip thats about as long with a 45 degree angle on the lip

Wood or dirt lip?

S

seespotendo

do u have a suggestion on how i should build it?
i.e. all dirt, wood/dirt, rocks/dirt or whatever

If it need to be removable, wood is obviously best, and they are more durable, but once its built its built which means it a bit of a pain to adjust length and angles of the lip. But with a dirt lip, you are not set on the angle its built at, and its cheaper to build as dirt is pretty much available always. It depends upon your soil compound. In colorado rocks are a way of life and so all of our jumps have them in them. We pull them out of lips at least on the face but they help with the stacking at least. If you have a lot of clay in the dirt, just build it out of clay and dirt. I dont like logs as they deteriorate and the lip falls apart quicker.

Regardless, if built with dirt, water water water, shape let set up and then ride. If adjustments need to be made, you can do them pretty easily with dirt

S

seespotendo

alright thanks.
i think i will use some rocks under the dirt to decrease the amount of dirt i need.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Just build a small one and make it bigger and bigger after testing it.
Its a not that big of a gap so you could prolly clear it with a good bunny hop.
Make it as big as you want as long as you have the landing for it.

But to actually help you a bit. 30 or 40cm high and about 1.5m long will do just fine. Just build it bigger as you wanna jump further down the landing.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
45 degree lip 4 feet tall but since u will be going fast make the part of the jump you ride on pretty long. but endin at 45 degree