Quantcast

Jump Jam in New Orleans?

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
We're thinking of holding a jumping comp here in the crescent city, would anyone out there be interested in throwing down? Probably 20 and 26inch catergories(bmx and mountain) sometime around mid february. This would be the first event at our new KONA funded jump park out at the bonnie carrie spillway, Food and music and jumping and good times. Let me know. Peace.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
can't get me off my mt. at the present time.

gotta get new stuff built and fully detailed before your next visit.

Yeah guys this is for real.:monkeydance:

Me,Squirrel (yes the flying squirrel who throws BIG no footers over the windrock road gap)and some other guys built this thing over the summer with some start up $$$ from Kona and a few shops in town.
Stay tuned will post some pics later .

Besides our crew rolling on 26's most the rippers in town are on BMX bikes so we welcome feash meat .......
Come on,the weather is mild, the food is great and the partying/live music last ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT. Seriously the bars NEVER close.

If you wanna come to New Orleans for MardiGras in february then pm me or squirrel and you'l surely get the "local" treatment.:brows:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hmmmm mmmmm. very tempting! I always see you in the craziest places anyways, so who knows! :pirate2:

hell yeah.
we always have a great time when this crew drives up here to ride.

post some photos of your goods squirrel/loo.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hell Yeah Scurban. We just had mega rain so we dug again yesterday.....wow i'm tired.
Details and pics to follow after x-mas. Stay tuned.
i got yer tired right here.:)
try seven long days in a row up here, where you have to hike up about 1,200ft. just to get to where you gotta work.

you flatlanders crack me up.

but hey squirrel.
that place looks like a whole lotta fun.
too bad i'm too old for that stuff.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I wrote the grant application that got that place started. Damned if I am not happier then a pig in **** to see that something came of it after I ran away after the hurricane.

Solid work NOMAMBO and the builders, wish I could have been there to help.

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
I wrote the grant application that got that place started. Damned if I am not happier then a pig in **** to see that something came of it after I ran away after the hurricane.

Solid work NOMAMBO and the builders, wish I could have been there to help.
Thanks very much, if it wasnt for this place I wouldn't know what to do with myself! I guess I'd do like the rest of the people round here and get wasted all the time :)

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
That was the reason I did it. Four solid years of drinking and Big Daddy's in the Quarter left me with a powerful urge to find new and creative ways to injure myself. Glad y'all are getting some mileage out of it, I need to get my tubby ass down there and ride it.

You ever ride the trail, or just the DJ's?

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
Yeah I've ridden the trail, kinda boring. I like comite trails in baton rouge though, plus there is a little "drop zone" nearby to get the hucking skills refreshed.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Post K did they take all of the drops out of the NOLA trail? Is the teeter still there? It wasn't bad for what it was while I lived there, and was a lot easier at 4:00 on a Tuesday to go ride, which is why I liked it. Before all the fun happened we were in the process of getting five or six more drops put in, along with a skinny section running over the water and through the woods after the teeter. not sure what is happening now.

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
Was Gene there?
That is affirmative, mean gene was in the house. Hey, i'm trying to get everything organized for this gathering, I've got a DJ lined up and trying to get support from the local shops. I'm thinking of holding on sunday the 18th of February, coinciding with the mardi gras parades, weather permitting, it has been raining a lot lately. so we'll see what happens. I hope there will be some outside rippers coming down for what should be a great time. Let me know if some of y'all are interested, I'd love to have a large attendance out there.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Hey, this just came from Dan, one of the leaders of NOMAMBO, the ones responsible for the dirt jumps and trail out there. Thought I'd pass it along.

Parking at the dirt jumps - please read
Today at 10:13am Quote Quote
Folks,

Just some quick guidance on parking at the dirt jumps. The Corp has asked that we either part at the bottom of the levee in the grass or on the EAST side of the road at the top of the levee (the side of the road that is away from the jumps. The reasons are that:

* Cars parked on BOTH sides of the road can cause a bit of a traffic jam with guys towing boat trailers through there
* When cars are parked along the WEST side of the road (the side adjacent to the jumps), oncoming traffic can't see bike riders who might shoot out from in between parked cars

Please try to follow these recommendations and pass the word on to others out there who might not read the forum. The Corp is being pretty cool about letting us park on and ride on the levee so let's work with them.

They are pretty excited about the success of the jumps - they're cool folks who enjoy seeing people get good recreational use out of the land they manage.

Also, (don't get too excited about this yet as it's a long way off) we're working with them to eventually get a gravel parking area installed at the jumps and at the trail head, like what the ATV park has.

Thanks,

Dan

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
the winter splinter comp in atlanta is on feb 18th also FYI. not sure how many people would be driving for the jump jam so it might not affect attendance though

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That is affirmative, mean gene was in the house. Hey, i'm trying to get everything organized for this gathering, I've got a DJ lined up and trying to get support from the local shops. I'm thinking of holding on sunday the 18th of February, coinciding with the mardi gras parades, weather permitting, it has been raining a lot lately. so we'll see what happens. I hope there will be some outside rippers coming down for what should be a great time. Let me know if some of y'all are interested, I'd love to have a large attendance out there.
Who gives a damn if Gene was there. Was his very hot wife there?

P.S. I used to live near the sandwich shop she opened on St Charles.

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
the winter splinter comp in atlanta is on feb 18th also FYI. not sure how many people would be driving for the jump jam so it might not affect attendance though
Thanks for the info, I would like not to interfere with other events so I may rethink the date, Mostly I'd like to know if anyone is serious about attending, so I can things rolling. I'd love to see what peeps around here in the south got in their bag of tricks!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Just a couple quick thoughts...

1. If you're going to do something out there you're advertising on here as some sort of competition, you need to make sure to loop it through NOMAMBO and the Corps. That spot can be easily bulldozed if the Corps is not tended to with kidd gloves.

2. If you are out there riding a lot, and a lot of your fellow riders are out there, you need to join NOMAMBO. Its only $20, and its those dues that maintain that area. That was not a free spot, and it was not free to build, a lot of money and effort went into it.

Check out http://www.nomambo.com, see what you can do about getting together with them. They're a great group, and are into pushing the sport down there. A few of them are even freeride types, and are down for putting stunts/jumps into the trail.

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
Just a couple quick thoughts...

1. If you're going to do something out there you're advertising on here as some sort of competition, you need to make sure to loop it through NOMAMBO and the Corps. That spot can be easily bulldozed if the Corps is not tended to with kidd gloves.

2. If you are out there riding a lot, and a lot of your fellow riders are out there, you need to join NOMAMBO. Its only $20, and its those dues that maintain that area. That was not a free spot, and it was not free to build, a lot of money and effort went into it.

Check out http://www.nomambo.com, see what you can do about getting together with them. They're a great group, and are into pushing the sport down there. A few of them are even freeride types, and are down for putting stunts/jumps into the trail.
I know most of the people from nomambo, mostly the "freeride types" we've all been talking about this as a way to help promote the area and get more people exposed to this type of riding. I know a lot of hard work went into building this place, I helped. Personally I'm glad to see it come into fruition, and I would hate to see it go as it is the only place around here where people like me can go and ride. I have a real bead taste in my mouth with some of the people around here that are scared someone is going to get sued. All of the folks that do this type of riding understand they are putting themselves at risk when they do it. I know the corps and nomambo together need to know what is going on especially when it comes to holding an event, I'm sure we will have to get waivers signed by all the riders releiving the corps and nomambo of all liability. I was trying to generate some interest in having a competition here by posting it on this website, maybe I shouldn't have done that. I wont do it again, as well, I probably wont be posting anything on here. You all can lick my balls.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Don't take it like that, jeebus h big brown tittys...

You just have to be careful down there. NOLA/NORCO is a litigious place, people do sue down there. You have no idea the legal hurtles, ass kissing, freerange handjobs and general foot work that went into just getting approval for that trail, and then the dirt jumps.

I am just asking you to be smart about it. I would be real, real butt hurt if that was to get dozed, I put a couple hundred hours into getting just the start for that to happen.

So be smart, its all I ask.

I have a real bead taste in my mouth with some of the people around here that are scared someone is going to get sued. All of the folks that do this type of riding understand they are putting themselves at risk when they do it. I know the corps and nomambo together need to know what is going on especially when it comes to holding an event
You know and I know that is BS. "People" might get it, though the odds aren't in your favor, but insurance companies who insure those people don't get sh!t. If you get hurt, and they pay for it, your deal with your insurance in Louisiana allows them to go after where you got hurt. When the policy that NOMAMBO has takes that sort of hit, the trail goes bye-bye. So please, don't make assumptions like this, because they aren't going to hold up in the courts there.