Quantcast

Jump Jam: Monroe edition

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
A few of us have been kicking around the idea of having a jump jam at the monroe jumps so I thought I'd just put up a new thread in case anybody was interested and managed to miss the discussion in the other thread (mon to the roe...check it out to get filled in). so far I'm thinking just have a work party in a couple weeks and the jam the weekend after. No big deal, my shop might bring a repairs tent out or something. If anybody has any ideas, comments, concerns, or complaints this is the place.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Monroe needs water... bad. It's been a few weeks since I've been out there, but it was horibble. I ended up bringing 6 gallons of water with me from seattle... I was about 50 gallons short of having what I wanted.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
yup...that is definitly a problem. I was just there on sunday and it is alot more rideable then it was when I was there three weeks ago. After a good rain then we should be able to get our work party going and then the jam. We will however have to sort out getting some water in.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
now that i think about it, it'd be sick to get a radio station, or at least somebody with a good sound system to blast some music. (might anger the neighbors?)

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
are those jumps legal or illegal? would hosting a big jump jam there get them closed down? every time I've been there I haven't seen more than 2 other people there. I just would hate to try to get something going, show up, and then a week later have them get plowed...

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
^^ yea seriously, only ppl ive ever seen there besides me and the firneds i go with were you and that guy on the p.2 or whatever it was. id hate to get them leveled because of good intentions gone worng. .

mcrae2112

Chimp
Mar 15, 2006
Duvall
yea, I'm not sure about those jumps being exactly legal, although I've never heard about any problems with them and the city/cops. I'm going to talk to some local people I know who have been building and riding these jumps for a long time and see if they have encountered any problems with the city. As far as the people who live close by, the guy across the street is closest and seems pretty cool, he let us use some tools and stuff to fix my buddies bike so that shouldn't be a problem. Once it rains a little bit we should be able to start to dial the jumps in. By the way we should clean up the garbage and glass, it looks like hell.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
ya, ill take some trash bags next time im by and start cleaning the place up. I've actually been wondering about the legality of it myself (and been hoping that somebody on here might know somthing). We definitely have to figure that out.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I work here in Monrovia and go in to the shop (Spokemotion) from time to time. I'll ask Don Ellis, the owner if he knows anything. It would be in their best interest to get it legal anyways. (I think it's actually the gravel company's property.) I need to stop by the shop for a few things today anyways.
In the vein of making it legal, how about a kiddie line for us whimps and the kids to get them started? I have a small line in our back yard but the "jump" to the Monroe lines (Pun intended) is just too big. I would think that it would be possible in that chunk of land to build a "Flow Park" style area for those of us on the North end who can't easily get to SST.

20/26/700

Chimp
Sep 7, 2006
Are you crazy? Monroe? Great trails, but wow, let's bring attention there so the neighbors 50' away call the cops and get them torn down. Have you even checked w/ the BMX'rs who built the trails to see if it's OK? I mean come on, use your head.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
guess what this thread is all about? Are you a bmxr? is it ok? If they're legal then there's no problem is there. I'm just trying to figure oout whats goin on, so maybe if you'd stop being sarcastic and help us/me out, there wont be any problems.

mcrae2112

Chimp
Mar 15, 2006
Duvall
Are you crazy? Monroe? Great trails, but wow, let's bring attention there so the neighbors 50' away call the cops and get them torn down. Have you even checked w/ the BMX'rs who built the trails to see if it's OK? I mean come on, use your head.
First off, those jumps have been there for a long time and I'm pretty sure the neighbors are aware that they are there. If the trails were to be torn down by the city it would have happened already. Second, it seems that the guys who used to build and maintain these trails are not around much anymore so it's kinda hard to talk to anyone. New people are coming in and trying to maintain and dial the jumps in. We're not trying to attract attention so the jumps get torn down, we just want to get some local riders together for a good session at some local jumps. Jeeze, don't get your panties in a twist.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
First off, those jumps have been there for a long time and I'm pretty sure the neighbors are aware that they are there. If the trails were to be torn down by the city it would have happened already. Second, it seems that the guys who used to build and maintain these trails are not around much anymore so it's kinda hard to talk to anyone. New people are coming in and trying to maintain and dial the jumps in. We're not trying to attract attention so the jumps get torn down, we just want to get some local riders together for a good session at some local jumps. Jeeze, don't get your panties in a twist.

well said :banana:

scbiker06

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Washington
what on sponsorhouse i'm guessing... oh yea.. dont even try to go to monroe.. i live 5 min. away and it's not even worth my drive... the place sucks dick.. i rebuilt and watered them for 2 hours and the next day the gay monroe kids had already ruined them... so dont even try to rebuild monroe.... and u get water across the street by the way.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
The BMX guys that originally built the stuff have private jumps now so they don't ride there anymore. The jumps are not legal as far as I know, and from what I've heard they probably will get plowed in the future due to developement. That huge sand pile in front of the jumps is supposed to go a way and one of these days apartments and a strip mall is going to go in, according to rumor, but it wouldn't suprise me. The BMX guys used to have jump jams there. It wasn't very official, they would just bring a BBQ and beer and 30 to 40 people and it was a good time.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
sweet, more forest getting plowed for strip malls and apartments.

w/e, we'll ride em while we got em

scbiker06

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Washington
well depends what line u hit dude... none of the big ones are hitable.. and the ones that are.. are from me working on them.. i'm a bmxer and i remeber when we had a jam there like 1 year ago.. the jumps were so bomb.. every single jump was hitable and dialed as hell. now they are ****ty and we have better trails we've built cause of those gay monroe poeople who go there and smoke pot.

mcrae2112

Chimp
Mar 15, 2006
Duvall
why do you bitch so much? I can still find a way to have a good time on my bike there. If you got better trails then lets have a sesh there, eh?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
why do you bitch so much? I can still find a way to have a good time on my bike there. If you got better trails then lets have a sesh there, eh?
good call.

yes those jumps need work, yes they need water, but honestly there're some of the better jumps around, and the beginer line is a great confidence booster. I would love to find more jumps elsewhere, I would love to not have to drive an hour or more to just go dirt jumping. So if you know of any more spots, please share.

scbiker06

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Washington
um they are secret so sorry.. but yea you guys should just start making your own.. that's what we had to do... go there in the winter... that's when everyone goes there and works on em. summer isn't the best time to go there. but yea.. ur right they are fun but they can be better.. but w/e, whatever floats your boat. i'll message one of u in the winter and i'll tell when they are ace.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
I live about a mile from the DJ and have rode there for the past three years. The jumps are illegal and the property is owned by Lakeside Industries (the big sand pile company). Although I think the locals and Lakeside Industries are cool with people jumping there, I am not sure if an official "jam" would bet the best (now that the old side road is closed off).

On the other hand, it is a matter of time before those woods become the next section of sand pile..so have some fun! Let me know when this goes down and I will swing down with my camera and get some pics. :cheers:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Just got back from Spokemotion in town and talking to the owner, Don about this and he thinks that a greater exposure to the city about the are there would do more harm than good. But, that being said, the shop has been talking to Monroe parks about a "gravity" enhanced area on city property just west of there. Based on what progress currently is being done at the Ridge, this area looks to me like it could mirror it. Someone who wants to get on board with that should stop into the shop and talk with Don.

Side note: I found out about another "spot" I need to check out in town too...:brows:

20/26/700

Chimp
Sep 7, 2006
you know what, you shockers go up there and "dial" in those jumps in Monroe and have that Jam, that'd rule! Just don't make the landings too steep, I'm working on my co-sponsors for 07'and I'd hate to take a bail and be out. Maybe get me some deals on Grips! Get em runnin!

scbiker06

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Washington
dude u want landings steep... they are steep. and they are perfect.. yea some guy came to the trails talking about bulding a skatepakr for just bike thean for just skateboards then dirt jumps and everythign.. but yea city built jumps.. aint the best. but i gotta email the guy

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I was just down at the jumps today and they are in perfect condition to be worked on. The dirt is soft so you can do a lot in a short time. I'm going to go down there on Sunday around 4:00 and dig for a bit and then ride a little, so if anyone wants to come down let me know or I'll see you there.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Just got back from Spokemotion in town and talking to the owner, Don about this and he thinks that a greater exposure to the city about the are there would do more harm than good. But, that being said, the shop has been talking to Monroe parks about a "gravity" enhanced area on city property just west of there. Based on what progress currently is being done at the Ridge, this area looks to me like it could mirror it. Someone who wants to get on board with that should stop into the shop and talk with Don.

Side note: I found out about another "spot" I need to check out in town too...:brows:
Unless Spokemotion has changed there tune they should have NOTHING to do with any gravity assisted park. All they sell is kids bikes, road bikes and some entry level XC bikes. I went in there a about 4 years ago and had a question about disc brakes and they said discs were really high matence and very difficult to work on. I went in there about a year and a half ago and inquired about ordering a Demo 9; they were not sure which bike that was, but they also recomended I look at a Fisher Big Uns or what ever Gary Fishers FR hardtail is.