Quantcast

Jump roping?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The gym is packed with all those new year's resolution bums and so I left, came home, and grabbed my roommate's jump rope. Did about half an hour of jumping mixed with some pushups and situps. It was fun and really got my heart rate going.

anyone use one of these things? I remember being really good at it when I was a kid, but had some trouble hitting my toes today. Going to have to work on it some more.

If you do jump rope do you have any songs you do it to? I got bored and turned on the radio, but that wasn't cutting it.

For you New Year's people, pick one up, I'm in pretty good shape and 10 minutes in I was sweating like a pig and could feel my calves burning.

The Ito

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Its been years since I last jumped rope, since the 4th grade and I am now 19. It is a great work out for sure. I really should start jumping rope again.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Last time I jumped it was as in a college PE class about 10 years ago. I really ought to get back into it. It was fun.

I'm doing my own home fitness routine right now. I take out a deck of cards, shuffle, then deal a card. If the card is red I do the face value's worth of situps. If the card is black I do the face value number of pushups. If I get tired of pushups, I do some triceps dips. Last night I got to around 26 cards and had to quit. I'm pretty sore today. It's harder than you think.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
ito said:
If you do jump rope do you have any songs you do it to? I got bored and turned on the radio, but that wasn't cutting it.

For you New Year's people, pick one up, I'm in pretty good shape and 10 minutes in I was sweating like a pig and could feel my calves burning.

The Ito
I use a jump rope sparingly, arguably not as much as I should. I changed my running style recently that puts more emphasis on the calf muscles. A friend suggested that I jump rope to help my body make the transition. It has, and yes, it's a great workout.

If I can't do it watching tv, I will listen to The Offspring. The beat on most of their songs is typically fast enough to workout to.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
I trained on and off for 10 years as Muay Thai fighter, and jumping rope was one an exercise that I always had to do. Usually done for 15 to 30 minutes as a warmup (for fighters).

There is a good reason why ALL boxers/ fighters I've known jump rope: it helps builds stamina and power.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
trust4130 said:
I trained on and off for 10 years as Muay Thai fighter, and jumping rope was one an exercise that I always had to do. Usually done for 15 to 30 minutes as a warmup (for fighters).

There is a good reason why ALL boxers/ fighters I've known jump rope: it helps builds stamina and power.
Do you box? I've recently been thinking about boxing or even starting up some sort of martial arts. I've got a good emount of strength in my body and I'd like to use it in some way. Any suggestions?

The Ito

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
I have been doin martial arts since I was 8, now I am 19. So the first thing I would recomend to you would be....If the dojo,school,training center has the right atmostphere; like you walk in and you feel like you belong there (that is a plus). Second thing would be, never settle on the first place you go to. Allways go to as many places that you can. While you are there, ask the lead instructor,sensie,etc etc, if you can sit down and watch there classes for a period of time, from 1 hour to a few hours. If you see alot of younger kids black,red,brown belts (these are generally the higher ranking students in many schools) it may just be a black belt factory. I have seen many places that just hand out black belts, those are definataly places you want to avoid.

If you find a particular place that you enjoy/have any questions you can email me/pm me if you want.