Quantcast

Jump technique help!

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ok, when I see people who know what they are doing jumping, I've noticed something. If the jumper is not doing some other trick in the air, they often make kind of an "S" motion in the air. Um, what i mean is, rather than a straight arc over the jump, their bike sort of gets turned sideways a bit, and then straightens out when landing. Its a very graceful snakeing kind of motion.

I've seen this on box jumps, dirt jumps, and even more pronounced when someone is clearing a spine.

My question is: how is this done? :confused:

J

Joe33

If you focus on landing front wheel first it just kind of happens. Go up, turn your bars to get more leverage so you can yank the front end down. The bar turn should move the rear end a little.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Ah, the beauty that is a "moto-whip."

For the most part, as your technique improves, you'll find that you're doing it without even realizing it. That's especially true for going over a spine, because that's way smoother than straight up/straight down.

I wish there was some sort of tip that I could give you... But seriously, I just saw some video of myself riding one day and realized that I was doing it. What an almost-useless post this was. Sorry!

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
I don't think he is talking about a moto-whip. I know what he is talking about though, I just started getting this motion down and i do it because it makes diving into a steep tranny more easy. The example of a spine is a good one. On that you need to get the nose down a lot and this is easier with the bike a little sideways because it shortens the wheelbase compared to the length of the landing. About how its done, it is somewhat similar to moto-whips. The bike should rotate around its center(not the headtube) The front end gets pushed one way and the rear the other, this also allows you to straighten back out for the landing. I think this is how I do it :)

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ok, yeah, that's what I mean! So the bike is rotated around its center... I will have to try that. And how do you get the front end down then? Like Joe33 said, turn your bars and use them to point the bike down?

How is a moto whip done? :confused:

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by Squid
Ok, yeah, that's what I mean! So the bike is rotated around its center... I will have to try that. And how do you get the front end down then? Like Joe33 said, turn your bars and use them to point the bike down?

Here are two decent pics of moto-whips(well at least what i consider one) The second is at a better angle and you can see how the bike is being rotated around it center.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
looks like a kick out to me.....

go off jump.
kick back leg out
pull with arms
turn bars.
PRACTICE.

the more you jump, the more comfortable you get in the air and the easier it is to push your bike around.
try and stay loose too.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Originally posted by pnj looks like a kick out to me.....
Kickout, Motowhip... same difference...

Wait, does this mean we have to argue like that time about j hops and bunnyhops? :confused: :dead:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by RandomV
Kickout, Motowhip... same difference...

Wait, does this mean we have to argue like that time about j hops and bunnyhops? :confused: :dead:
no.

i hate to admit it, but i've been beat down.....

no more arguments from me for awhile. i'll just state my piece and move on....

:monkey:

*edit*
the j-hop/bunnyhop thing was a valid argument. there is nothing to argue here as you mention they are the same thing.....

J

Joe33

Thats pretty much it just turn your bars push down on the front and pull up on the rear

Attachments

J

Joe33

Whips are pretty easy, for a lot of people its usually the first tricked learned. Theirs two ways of doing it, the easiest is just to kick your feet out. Which will give you a whip but it is by no means the caliper of whip you see the moto guys doing. Their bikes are to heavy to just "Kick your feet out." My recipe for something close to a moto whip would be to; Find a good jump with a big landing, compress hard and turn a little as you leave the take off, once your airborn counterstear to help bring your rear end out. when the bike is almost perpendicular flick the bars in the other way to straighten out again. It still isnt anything close to what the moto freestyle guys can do but maybe with practice it could be.

I said this before but I think its worth saying again. I believe the best to learn all this stuff is to just practice bunnyhopping and turning the bars in the air to get a feel for what the bikes gona do. Practice that for awhile then throw a little lean in and learn to hip your bunnyhops. Once you got that down your half way to doing a whip. Last part is to just bring it back straight.

Anyway hopes this makes sense.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by zibbler
Hmmm...... and I always called them tail whips. Oh well. I still can't do them anyways.
A tailwhip is a BMX trick where you get off the pedals, kick the bike around 360 degrees under you, and land back on the pedals. ;)

A Kickout is a little different than a "motowhip" , it is also way easier.
Joe33's description of how to do a motowhip is VERY good
it is a whip, like crackin a whip you lift up and then snap down.
that is what makes a whip "whip", try at home with extension cords kids, making sure that some fragile object is either attached to said cord or nearby...
seriously though it is begun by arcing off the lip like joe said, that sets your trajectory, then as the bike nears the top of its' airborne arc (not after, always before it gives a WAY better whip, and makes landing it straight easier too) yank the bars back in the opposite direction to which you initially took off, and downwards as well for added style,what will happen is that the inertia developed in the bike will make it want to continue in the original direction, but since you have more mass and therefore greater inertia, you will force the front of the bike in another direction...the back will come around and eventually your pulling will cause it to change its trajectory to match the new front trajectory, thus ending back underneath you...
in your mind think of how a whip is cracked and it will become more and more clear as you do them...

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
someone else said it was best to try it while just bunnyhopping....which is when i pretty much noticed i was doing it. i think a good way to learn is by doing tire taps on like speed bumps.. hop a little before the bump and while your in the air tap it with your front tire by pushing down and kicking you feet the opposite way...the best way is to let it come natually, thats what happens for most people. so my little speed bump trick is probably worthless but its fun to do when your just out riding around anyways.

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
Shootr somehow I knew you'd be here somewhere, as usual, your advice is enlightening. Although I am still trying to embrace your advice on wallrides in the DH forum, (you know I failed this weekend already!) I see you are keeping up your usual level of quality instruction! I like those whips, I realized I was doing them subconsiously I guess, and that was fun, I would like to practice exaggerating that movement till it's a big lazy whip! Too bad I won't get to ride with you again till next season, but I'll be practicing on the jumps down here till then! Thanks for all the encouragement and coaching up there too, you helped my riding, Bro, I think you could be a riding instructor at a camp or something! :) Kim and I can't wait to get back up there next season, man!