Quantcast

Jumpin in a Lake

D

d-sop

It sounds dumb, but i wanna do it on my pos bike. any suggestions on sealing up crap? would white lightning work? i was plannin on usin it everywhere where water can get in. also pumpin the tubes up lots and sticking a pumped-up full tube in the seat post (cutting the post of the actual seat for space), and putting a pool-noodle on the top tube. any other help? its gonna be awesome.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If it is a steel frame treat the inside of the tubes with framesaver, linseed oil or boeshield. Alumimun I wouldn't worry about.

If you want to grease everything before use some waterproof grease(phils etc.)

You're not going to be able to waterproof the bike. The best thing would be just strip it down after(within 24 hrs) and rebuild everything.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Pumping up the tubes a lot will actually make it sink faster because you will be placing a greater mass of air in the same space.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Using a POS bike is the way to go - you don't need gears or brakes, just the minimum to roll. Also an aluminum frame bike with 26" tires will float just because of the tires, but a BMX needs help to float. We used to put a life jacket on the bars. It's definitely fun :thumb:

D

d-sop

nah im leavin the back brake on cuz i actually need to get there. but yea thanks lots of good ideas. i kinda did rebuild it. wouldwhite lightning work?

D

d-sop

update: i found some h20-proof grease 2day, but too late. i took it out 2 the lake and my friend jumped hella times. haha then i like let it sit in the water for a lil like in this deep part. no rust or anything (yet). gotta fix up the frame holes. i was thinkin hot glue and duct tape? i dunno. yea. i havent tried yet cuz lake smells bad and looks ugly. maybe someones pool? yea.

edit: camera wasnt charged. sorry. pics to come.

d-sop said:
update: i found some h20-proof grease 2day, but too late. i took it out 2 the lake and my friend jumped hella times. haha then i like let it sit in the water for a lil like in this deep part. no rust or anything (yet). gotta fix up the frame holes. i was thinkin hot glue and duct tape? i dunno. yea. i havent tried yet cuz lake smells bad and looks ugly. maybe someones pool? yea.

edit: camera wasnt charged. sorry. pics to come.
Quit deluding yourself. :nope:

No amount of grease, duct tape, or hot melt is going to "seal" the bearings, etc.

lleberg

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
Umeå - Sweden
First post in the forum.. yay.

Me and some friends jumped from a loading dock.. or more kind of droped the 2meters from the edge to the water.
We used a ****bike that we got from our friendly LBS for free.
And we ducttaped empty plastic coke-bottles to the frame to keep it from sinking. One in front of the headset, two inside the frame and one behind the seatpost, and it float!
This was 2L bottles, and a crapy old bike that wasn't that heavy.. Probably would have floated with one bottle less, but why take the chance? it was 8 meters deep.. and the water was cold!
We wanted to use it again later..
But it broke down on the way home. :/ Probably because we tried to go wheelie.. but it could be the water, i guess.