Quantcast

jumping a subaru

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

I would have focused more on running down the snowboarders.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Did anyone else stumble into this thread thinking there'd be some mention of jumper cables and battery terminals? Yet, despite the unexpected turn of events I'm not altogether disappointed...though I might be tempted to second stevew's notions

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Very cool vid.

As nice as that Subie is, I have grown to hate the sound of the exhaust almost as much as a Honda with a fart can.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Eh, would have been really cool if he and one of the snowbarders would have swapped positions mid air. THAT would be awesome.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Very cool vid.

As nice as that Subie is, I have grown to hate the sound of the exhaust almost as much as a Honda with a fart can.

I think Subie boxers have the nicest sound out of any 4 cylinders. The buzz of I-4s are horrible. Of course I prefer no exhaust sound.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think Subie boxers have the nicest sound out of any 4 cylinders. The buzz of I-4s are horrible. Of course I prefer no exhaust sound.
My friend made the mistake of buying his girlfriend an overpowered STi and to me it sounds like grandma with the walking farts. It's damn near as loud as his Cummins Dodge, too. Between the walking farts and the overworked BOV (HUGE PSSST! at every shift), her STi is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

I guess I'm old school because the sound of a solid V8 is awesome. I also like the sound of a early bug with a good "quiet pack" exhaust (not the lawnmower sound) as well.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
damn. i do like those cars. sans wing though. i too, love the sound of subie boxxers. the poser loud bov's are annoying, yes.
He spent $12k on it, the trans took a dump 3 weeks after purchase. The previous owner had replaced the trans 6 months ago and a rebuilt one will cost $2800, but will not be warrantied due to the large turbo. The shop said a built trans to handle the current engine setup would be about $5k.

All that and it's still slower (and much more annoying) than his NA 350z.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My friend made the mistake of buying his girlfriend an overpowered STi and to me it sounds like grandma with the walking farts. It's damn near as loud as his Cummins Dodge, too. Between the walking farts and the overworked BOV (HUGE PSSST! at every shift), her STi is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

I guess I'm old school because the sound of a solid V8 is awesome. I also like the sound of a early bug with a good "quiet pack" exhaust (not the lawnmower sound) as well.
A ****ty exhaust will make anything sound like crap. My stock WRX has a nice sound. Of course you have to stand right next the to tailpipe to hear it.

Are you sure that is an STI your friend has. The regular WRX have trannies that can not take much extra power but the STI's come with a much beefier unit.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are you sure that is an STI your friend has. The regular WRX have trannies that can not take much extra power but the STI's come with a much beefier unit.
That's what he said he bought. It looks like it was straight out of "The Fast and the Furious" with the nasty paint scheme, carbon fiber hood/fin/misc. bits, and HUGE ass exhaust. The whole thing is nasty.

The shop quoted him $1000 for a used trans out of a wrecked STi and $2800 for a rebuilt one. A factory new one was outrageous and the beefed up one was $5k. None would carry any sort of warranty because of all the crap.

It could be an overbuilt WRX, but he said it was an STi. Whatever it is, it's been sitting in the driveway waiting for someone to care.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's what he said he bought. It looks like it was straight out of "The Fast and the Furious" with the nasty paint scheme, carbon fiber hood/fin/misc. bits, and HUGE ass exhaust. The whole thing is nasty.

The shop quoted him $1000 for a used trans out of a wrecked STi and $2800 for a rebuilt one. A factory new one was outrageous and the beefed up one was $5k. None would carry any sort of warranty because of all the crap.

It could be an overbuilt WRX, but he said it was an STi. Whatever it is, it's been sitting in the driveway waiting for someone to care.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone riced out a WRX and called an STI. The fact that it was riced out in the first place should have been a clear warning not to purchase.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Looks like they should have weighted the rear end a tad to help balance out a bit. Every time he got air I thought for sure he was going to land nose-end straight down.

Still friggin' cool regardless.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like they should have weighted the rear end a tad to help balance out a bit. Every time he got air I thought for sure he was going to land nose-end straight down.

Still friggin' cool regardless.
seems like it would be easier to just dial in more compression damping in the front and more rebound in the rear to balance it out.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It wouldn't surprise me if someone riced out a WRX and called an STI. The fact that it was riced out in the first place should have been a clear warning not to purchase.
:stupid:

I was blown away when he told me that he bought it for her (they have only been dating a few months) because she is young (just turned 21, he is 25) and stupid. She got a ticket 2 days after they bought it because the windshield is tinted. I don't mean a stripe, but the whole thing is tinted just enough to piss off a cop. The whole car screams "pull me over, I'm a jackass". My hope is he will sell it after getting it fixed.