Quantcast

Jumping Question

KaiMana

Chimp
Oct 12, 2001
Woodland Park, CO
This is hard to explain so bear with me:D

When dirt jumping off smaller quicker takeoffs (4'-6'), do you guys push your back tire through the transition after the front has left the ground?

In other words I am used to pushing the whole bike through and then letting off once the front leaves the ground. But recently I have found that by continueing to push with the back wheel only while pulling up on the front u can get alot more height. However, so far it has been really hard to get control and positioned to land if I do this.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by KaiMana

When dirt jumping off smaller quicker takeoffs (4'-6'), do you guys push your back tire through the transition after the front has left the ground?

In other words I am used to pushing the whole bike through and then letting off once the front leaves the ground. But recently I have found that by continueing to push with the back wheel only while pulling up on the front u can get alot more height. However, so far it has been really hard to get control and positioned to land if I do this.
not sure I follow you but I can say practice, practice, practice.....D

G

gravity

i like cheese.

i'm not 100% sure, but i think what you mean is like putting yourself in a manualling position (well you would be if there wasn't a ramp under you) type thing? like boosting off the top by leaning back and springing?

and if so, i know what you mean about less stability. it seems to give more height at the expense of speed and momentum, so instead of rolling down the ramp, you kinda drop onto it?

practise practise practise.

Endless

Chimp
Mar 20, 2002
North Carolina
Originally posted by KaiMana

4'-6' high jumps sound pretty standard to me. I guess it depends on what the transition is like. Also, the length of the jump matters.

However, no matter what the jump, keeping balanced on the bike is what matters most. Maybe easier said than done, but here's a little trick that helps on jumps of all sizes.

ONLY think about the landing.
Don't think about anything else.
The whole time you are approaching the jump, look at the landing.
If you do this, the jump falls into place.
Promise.

Good Luck, and keep it up!

A

a13x

yea i didn't realized 4-6 foot lips are 'smaller'

i must be a big pussy