Quantcast

Jumps jumps jumps

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So I've been riding for a while (1985) and have never really gotten comfortable with getting more then a foot or two off the ground. I just got a bike with some decent travel and I was thinking about starting to race DH. I'm completely comfortable in rockgradens, steep stuff, technicle stuff, trees, mud, whatever, you name it but for some reason with it comes to getting airbourne, I get a little sketched out. Watching vids from races, it looks like I'm going to have to get over my fear or more than 2 feet of air if I'm going to be competitive in DH. I've noticed that when I do get any higher, I get a gnarly lean to my left side that usually results in sticking a foot out and almost hitting my nuts on the crossbar.

Obviously for the sake of many precious seconds, and at least one of my two nuts, I'm going to have to correct this problem.

Anyone have some tips or tricks for me? How do you mentally prepare yourself for a big jump, and how do you stick the landing.

Oh oh, and how the heck do you know how much speed you need to land on the tranny of a big double?

Any advise, no matter how dumb it sounds is appreciated.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
If your right handed thats probly why your going to your left in the air cause your right arm is stronger. Anyway when i go off drops i try not to think about the landing just keep looking ahead to what is comming up. If i focus on what i need to get to instead of what im trying to get past i usually go toward where i need to go.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
well im glad you have two nuts(you mentioned above) but if your leaning to the left then it could be your pedal position. if you go off the jump with your left pedal down and your right up then you would lean twards the left, but i think that is unlikely. otherwise you are probably just pulling up too hard with your right hand. I had that same problem, but i was doing this on jump with clips on so i couldnt stick my leg out to level my body so i just landed flat on my side...ouch. what i did was i practiced doing smaller jumps slower than normal, not trying to go big just land straight. Once you do that you can start going bigger.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Don't pull with your arms. Jumping correctly has to do with pre-loading the bike and springing off the face with your legs. NOT pulling with your arms.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That is why a lot of jumpers think that you should learn to jump with flat pedals. Teaches you how to jump properly and to not pull with your feet either.

You almost push your bike into the face of the jump. As you leave the lip your energy, which is stored in your body and suspension, releases and you fly without pulling. Timing is difficult to get at first. You may compress too early or too late. But find the sweet spot and jumping feels soooooo good.

Remember you can't make an omlet without breaking a few eggs. If you crash don't be discouraged. Everyone does it.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I've been jumping crappily as well. Been hitting decent sized concrete tables in the skatepark, and i'm way inconsistent. Like hitting the jump 3 times with approximately the same entry speed, i'll case one, overshoot the next, and stick the third. any tips? how should it feel in relation to a bunny hop as you hit the lip? it sort of makes me reluctant to move up to doubles.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
all about preload...practicing on skate parks for a DH course prolly wont help much...cuz the skate park lips are much steaper than any dh lip will be...you should go to a local trail where there are small jumps and just practice them over and over again, and go faster and faster, or just keep moving up to bigger jumps. Remember though...pads are you friend...you are just starting jumping, and pads are a MUST!!!! dont get too stressed out about not making it at first or crashing...just have fun. its just riding bikes..no need to go crazy.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, high speed jumps on the trail have never really messed with me, but then again I dont really hit many huge ones either. I've got the preload thing down on the big bike more or less, but its also usually that i'm hitting kickers into drops and the like so the case factor isnt there. i'm more talking about steep lip jumps.

In race cources I dont reload much because I dont want to loose speed in the air. just practice small jumps at a high speed and floart ver it. Or find a table that would normaly launch you high but float over it a t speed you wil clear the flat. If you ar going for height do the same jumps at a lower speed and like everyone said, preload is your friend.
Also loose any form of ego you might have and just ride; that is key to learning any sport.

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
to psyche myself up for jumps that kinda scare me, i close my eyes and imagine myself doing it, right down to the body movements

i might be slowly rolling, and do the body motion of preloading the bike and taking off from the lip of the jump. then i pedal hard and do it again, and it usually works.

picture yourself doing it and you'll (probably :P) be able to