Quantcast

June 8th ride or race Thread

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
so did you ride or race yesterday? Any big rides planned for today?

I raced at Dalton, 3 laps - 2.3 miles per, started with a 3/4 mile singletrack climb - this place is a working farm and they were haying - it sucks to breathe in flying hay particles when while you're in the middle of race!

I did a preride & and an extended extra lap after - about 13 miles total.

Not sure how I did, but at the end of lap 2 I had two dudes on my rear wheel as I started the long climb, I knew they were going to pass, but I figured I would make them be in pain when they did and I pushed hard..........worked better than I planned being they never passed :D

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Got out of work at 6pm yesterday and bunch of us drove to the trailhead, unloaded the bikes, pedaled 200 yards into the woods and the sky opened up like nothing I've ever seen. It POURED!! So we sat under a pine tree for 20 mins. hoping it would clear (and praying that we wouldn't get struck by lightening). It never did. So we went home. It sucked. :(

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:
Got out of work at 6pm yesterday and bunch of us drove to the trailhead, unloaded the bikes, pedaled 200 yards into the woods and the sky opened up like nothing I've ever seen. It POURED!! So we sat under a pine tree for 20 mins. hoping it would clear (and praying that we wouldn't get struck by lightening). It never did. So we went home. It sucked. :(
What! dude, that was perfect training conditions for racing at Platty!!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
What! dude, that was perfect training conditions for racing at Platty!!
Hahahaha...yeah I know, that idea was passed around as well but I decided that food and beverage outranked riding in the pouring rain. Maybe the next thunderstorm.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did a short easy road ride last night. Wanted to ride longer but I bruised the hell out of my knee on Tuesday so I could only do what my pain threshold allowed me. Knee feels a little better today so I will try again tonight depending on what the weather does.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:
Hahahaha...yeah I know, that idea was passed around as well but I decided that food and beverage outranked riding in the pouring rain. Maybe the next thunderstorm.

There were so many times we'd be driving up platty's access road and it would be super cold or raining or snowing or whatever, and we'd figure hardly anyone else would be that dumb/crazy to spend the day practicing or racing the course, and everytime the parking lots would be full

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
splat said:
DId My commute home, took a longer route of 23 miles, Had a flat and cut the sidewall , which sucked , so I hade to put a doaller bill in the tire to cover the slice. , rest of the ride was un-eventful.
Does anyone else notice that Splat has as many spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors as some of the worst offenders on this site and yet he is never attacked about them? They don't bother me in the least, but why is that? Just curious.... :think:

splat

Nam I am
McGRP01 said:
Does anyone else notice that Splat has as many spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors as some of the worst offenders on this site and yet he is never attacked about them? They don't bother me in the least, but why is that? Just curious.... :think:
Most of the time it is because I am just typing , with fat fingers, to fast for my own good. why I am not attacked about it ??? Who knows, who cares ? I know I don't!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
Because we like Splat. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
McGRP01 said:
Most of the grammar Nazis are tools with self esteem problems who seek those weaker than themselves to attack in an attempt to feel better about themselves. I attack grammar Nazis to make myself feel better. :o: :dancing:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I love living so close to trails! It used to be at least an hour of prep and driving to get to the closest trails. Now I change my clothes and ride 1/4 mile to the trails. :love:

Last evening I picked my wife up at the train station, cooked dinner, and still had 2 hours of daylight to play with.

2 hours of riding + nailed a rooty climb that usually throws me + getting stronger (got in an extra loop I usually don't have the legs for) + finish up with a pulled pork sandwich and Troeg's Sunshine Pils = happy BG. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
so did you ride or race yesterday? Any big rides planned for today?

I raced at Dalton, 3 laps - 2.3 miles per, started with a 3/4 mile singletrack climb - this place is a working farm and they were haying - it sucks to breathe in flying hay particles when while you're in the middle of race!

I did a preride & and an extended extra lap after - about 13 miles total.

Not sure how I did, but at the end of lap 2 I had two dudes on my rear wheel as I started the long climb, I knew they were going to pass, but I figured I would make them be in pain when they did and I pushed hard..........worked better than I planned being they never passed :D
Give us the scoop on the trail, conditons, shortcuts etc.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Had a good ride last night. I got home at 4:55pm and was hoping to meet up with a couple of friends at 5pm to ride...oops. I got to the trail head about 5:20pm and headed in with a mission--catch them. Well, I took a little short cut up 107 and managed to get ahead of them. I kept pushing myself to keep going and going all the way to Bee and through the 1st half of Bee where I came upon Sq-Earl & Don. They hadn't seen the people I was planning on meeting either..weird we thought. Anyway, I kept on going and turned in a nice ride time even with the T-storm and major downpour. I was quite pleased with myself and wished that I had stayed and done another loop :eek: rather than headed home to do housework.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
Give us the scoop on the trail, conditons, shortcuts etc.
lastnight we started at the over under and then climbed up singletrack (that was not in the 24 course), briefly popped onto that dirt road climb, then back into singletrack, took a sharp left which put us going backwards on the 24 course - that rooty section, out of there into the field / dirt road / thru the stream/left back into the lower field & then a right up to the over/under. repeat 2 more times

Conditions ae great - besides the stream and one mud spot (that has a bridge) everything has been dry...but, I havent been up to that mud pit area of the 24 course yet. and The one new small section has been ridden enough that it's no longer soft - if conditions stay this way expect faster lap times this year.

greasey monkey

bow down
Mar 11, 2004
victor NY
I race the park ave race last night. I didn't feel as good as I did last week and there was a huge pack of experts but i managed to finish 5th so i'm happy.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
greasey monkey said:
I race the park ave race last night. I didn't feel as good as I did last week and there was a huge pack of experts but i managed to finish 5th so i'm happy.
Nice job dude! Remember that most of those experts have been expert forever and are as fast as they are gonna get. You on the other hand are getting stronger every ride.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Took yesterday off to rest up for the next 4 days. Tonight - Rayburn with Splat and IF Rider, Friday Douglas SF ride and swim, Saturday trail Maint at 'Nam maybe with a ride afterwards, Sunday riding somwhere, not sure yet. :blah: