Quantcast

Junior World's Team Qualifier-Rollcall and Course Pics-Plattekill Mountain

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
both. it's worth the trip to snowshoe just to ride it.

pardon?
VA isnt considered 'down south', but we've got XC trails that will pucker your ass up, not to mention the rough stuff.
and there are some ri-goshdarn-diculous trails in western NC, so ya might want to do a little research next time you rant off.
we know you adore your beloved Platty, but let's be adults here; there are steep trails everywhere. get over it.

You southern boys know all about puckered a$$holes don't ya?

Stay away from me, I don't got a purty mouth. :eek::biggrin:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
but i don't feel that plattekill is as gnarly as everyone hypes it up to be......its not THAT hard.....
The hardest part about P'kill is that you need to take yourself out of your general comfort zone. Everything is on the "extreme" ends of the spectrum. There are no in-betweens at Plattekill (Well, actually there is an Inn-Between down in Margarettsville across from the Hess. Recommend it for a decent meal. They have a salad bar and serve beer.)

The parking lot will be either a mud bog or dry and dusty. Either way, you will permanently have reddish dust in your car like you drove on Mars.

The lift line will either be non-existent or backed up to the parking lot.

The course will either be deceptively easy or deceptively hard.

The weather will not be the same as the forecast predicts. If it's raining in Kingston it's sunny and warm at Plattekill. If it's 75° and cloudless in Kingston it is thunder & lightening at P'kill.

Plattekill is decisively no-frills. There are no fancy hotels in the area. It takes everyone forever to get there. The lift will break down at some point during the weekend. The bike wash smells like diesel fuel. The bathrooms sometimes don't work. Laszlo sometimes rubs people the wrong way, but he has undeniable passion for the sport and is a survivor. You need to experience P'kill once in your riding life.

-ska todd

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
The hardest part about P'kill is that you need to take yourself out of your general comfort zone. Everything is on the "extreme" ends of the spectrum. There are no in-betweens at Plattekill (Well, actually there is an Inn-Between down in Margarettsville across from the Hess. Recommend it for a decent meal. They have a salad bar and serve beer.)

The parking lot will be either a mud bog or dry and dusty. Either way, you will permanently have reddish dust in your car like you drove on Mars.

The weather will not be the same as the forecast predicts. If it's raining in Kingston it's sunny and warm at Plattekill. If it's 75° and cloudless in Kingston it is thunder & lightening at P'kill.

Plattekill is decisively no-frills. There are no fancy hotels in the area. It takes everyone forever to get there. The lift will break down at some point during the weekend. The bike wash smells like diesel fuel. The bathrooms sometimes don't work. Laszlo sometimes rubs people the wrong way, but he has undeniable passion for the sport and is a survivor. You need to experience P'kill once in your riding life.

-ska todd
True Dat! great write up Todd

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
pardon?
VA isnt considered 'down south', but we've got XC trails that will pucker your ass up, not to mention the rough stuff.
and there are some ri-goshdarn-diculous trails in western NC, so ya might want to do a little research next time you rant off.
we know you adore your beloved Platty, but let's be adults here; there are steep trails everywhere. get over it.[/QUOTE]

hellllllll yaaaa i agree very much pisga is a perfect example!

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Hey

Richie and I rode the course today - course is sweet.

Changes every hour as the shale moves around.

Sorry not a lot of pics we were having a blast riding

Richie spent the day getting his bikes dialed

richie on the road gap this isn't on the course

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Nice pics Rich !! The course is getting burnt in real well, berms of shale we forming on the corners, and the shale is getting loose due to the dryness. Shale surfing is sooo much fun. The rest of the mountain is in prime shape also. Many thanks to the 45 or so workers that donated their time last weekend.

Also just to spice things up a little, a new O'Neal full face helmet will go to the JrX racer with the fastest seeding run.

Several west coast racers have been confirmed, should be pretty interesting.

So whose going to pull it off ? A westcoaster that's been racing for over a month already this season or an eastern boy on his home turf but racing for the first time this year. Is there shale out west ??

hint: I did see one contender on course today. And He looked pretty darn fast :happydance:

and wait to you see what they named the drop's go-round

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Shale surfing is sooo much fun.
no kidding! nothing else like it.

by the way, the trail crew has done a great job getting Plattekill ready for the Season - If your traveling in for the race you won't be dissappointed , there so much natural fun and flow to ride.

rich

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
no kidding! nothing else like it.

by the way, the trail crew has done a great job getting Plattekill ready for the Season - If your traveling in for the race you won't be dissappointed , there so much natural fun and flow to ride.

rich
Nice pics, Rich! thanks for posting them. The course is awesome, nothing like going full tilt from race#1! I ran into a young guy there on Saturday who was looking for the 'freeride' section. I tried my best to explain platty's earthy flow, but it seemed that he wasn't buying it...his loss!

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Jim

I was hoping you were going to be up there both days so we could ride together Sunday - I'll catch up with you next week.

Rich

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Both courses are off the hook, major props to the trail builders! :thumb:

Quick question, what is the name of the first drop you come to on the pro\expert course?

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I heard that Will Collins was fast. But I heard that from Will Collins. Will Collins for the win.

Edit:That made Will cry. Will really is fast.

Second Edit:He threatened to kill me. Will will win right Will?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA

-ska todd
:thumb:

Good summary! I've done most of my riding at Diablo the last few years, but Platty is always there and I try go go up a few times during the year. It was there before I started riding and keeps going. I completely agree about Lazlo. When I think about it, I am amazed that he has managed to run a multi-race series this long, stay open this long and make new trails and courses every year. The sport goes through ups and downs, but Platty has always been around for us in the northeast. And it's always been fun, fast and challenging.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Plattekill is the essence of what downhill was and is on the east coast. When everyone else shut down, Lazlo stayed open.

Todd is dead on w/most points, but I don't know anyone Laz has rubbed the wrong way. He's the nicest promoter I've met over the years. The guy loves the sport, likes making riders happy, will reply to your calls/emails and is genuinely friendly to families.

I do wish it was closer, but I plan on doing a lot of riding and filming up there this year.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Do any of you Junior Class fanboys realize how creepy you sound??

As for Plattekill's superiority, it's a great place that I've ridden a ton, but I'd take Windrock over P'kill any day, and I think most people who've ridden both would agree with me. What WR lacks in total number of trails compared to P'kill, it more than makes up for in creativity, difficulty, and superior craftsmanship.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I'll go the extra mile --

If you hate on Plattekill:

A> You suck on a bike fiercely.

B> You've never been there.

May not be for everyone - we all have preferences - but if you're talking smack about Platte? You're speaking from your sphincter.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Windrock? Very Very Nice shuttling.

Not Plattekill. Hell no.
You're right; one of the biggest differences is that WR's riding season is just about double what they offer at Platt.

I'm not hating on anything - I've been going to Plattekill since 1996 (!) - just stating a personal opinion.

I'll now let the fan boys go back to lusting over their favorite Jr. X.

--JP

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You're right; one of the biggest differences is that WR's riding season is just about double what they offer at Platt.

I'm not hating on anything - I've been going to Plattekill since 1996 (!) - just stating a personal opinion.

I'll now let the fan boys go back to lusting over their favorite Jr. X.

--JP
Umm... its a ski resort, its a little messy come winter. and I got ya with 1 year, 95 on that one (Mike, Max, Quran, etc... lets hit the way back button.)

The season never stops, just some people. But when you throw a 'fan boy' comment out there, its hard to deny SOME hate.

I like to ride a lot of places. Plattekill is very near the top for me. My point is people get into the arguing and their sphincters start the talking.

Plettkill vs Diablo? are you kidding me. TOTALLY different, but if one calls themselves a downhiller, the preference SHOULD be obvious among that pairing. Freerider, Jumper - Diablo's probably your better choice of the two.

Does it matter? Nope.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
So more prizes for the Seeding Run. In addition to the O'Neal Full Face Helmet, a $50 Gift Certificate to Go-Ride donated by Bunkerchucks !!! Thanks !!!

Sounds like it's going to be a race within a race !!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Umm... its a ski resort, its a little messy come winter. and I got ya with 1 year, 95 on that one (Mike, Max, Quran, etc... lets hit the way back button.)

The season never stops, just some people. But when you throw a 'fan boy' comment out there, its hard to deny SOME hate.

I like to ride a lot of places. Plattekill is very near the top for me. My point is people get into the arguing and their sphincters start the talking.

Plettkill vs Diablo? are you kidding me. TOTALLY different, but if one calls themselves a downhiller, the preference SHOULD be obvious among that pairing. Freerider, Jumper - Diablo's probably your better choice of the two.

Does it matter? Nope.
i think he meant lusting over their favorite 17-18 yr old rider.

area/resort preference is always subjective. plattekill has a place in everybody's heart, even if it's outdated/played out/surpassed by a-lines and whatever others hijinx.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Eric Hudson's building skills are superior to anyone at Windrock.
I know Hud doesn't like being dragged into this stupid assanine internet stuff.....

Hud would be smiling ear to ear to ride Windrock and would surely compliment the builders on what they have done there...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I know Hud doesn't like being dragged into this stupid assanine internet stuff.....

Hud would be smiling ear to ear to ride Windrock and would surely compliment the builders on what they have done there...
As would the Windrock locals and the builders there would be stoked to shred down Platte. No room to hate dope riding spots in this tiny sport.
This weak thread aside, it is good to see a bunch of quick juniors stoked on battling it out for world spots, all on a real course as well.
Good luck to the kids.