Junior World's Team Qualifier-Rollcall and Course Pics-Plattekill Mountain

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

USAC Junior World Championship Team Qualifier
May3-4, 2008
Plattekill Bike Park, Roxbury, NY

The course is set, should be a classic. Steep Platty chutes, shale drops, off camber track and a wall ride. After testing it out this past Sunday, Plattekill Sponsored JrX racer Geoff Ulmer said it's one of the most fun tracks he's ever been on. He's disappointed he won't be there, but he is rooting for any east coast racer to take it all.

So who will win? It is shaping up to be a west vs. east event for sure, will a west coast JrX racer take home the invite to the world team or will an east coast rider dominate on one of their home tracks ? Should be fun to watch. The Juniors will be treated to a seeding run Sunday morning to test the course out with their race run later in the day. Pros and Experts will race on the same course, while Sport and Beginner racers will have their own course. This will make for less traffic on each course during practice.

This weekend April 26-27 is Plattekill Bike Park's season opener and the course will be open to ride. Of course the rest of the mountain will be available to ride both weekends.

So let's here who's coming......ROLL CALL !!!!

A few teaser pics of the course:

That's pretty much it, Hope to see you all there.

Anyone traveling in for the race need help with logistics, just ask.

Now let's hear whose coming.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Looks like a Euro course- I love all the rocks. Usually pics don't provide real steepness, so if those are normal pis, the course looks a little steep and scary. Should be fun if it's dry. I'll probably just watch if it rains!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
that course looks like fun! We need some action shots to get perspective

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Looks like a Euro course- I love all the rocks. Usually pics don't provide real steepness, so if those are normal pis, the course looks a little steep and scary. Should be fun if it's dry. I'll probably just watch if it rains!

pics def don't show the actual steepness.

Todd - thanks for the info. Crazy to think he's as fast as he is, and isn't even old enough to qualify for jr worlds.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
You know its Plattekill when you can't find the course in half the pictures. Awesome. I'm unsure whether I'll race or even ride that weekend, the doctor will let me ride the weekend after (broken collar bone) so I don't want to risk being out for the Open by further injuring myself. Knowing how intense jr. X should be might be enough motivation to film it, but then I have to watch all the action being dangled in front of me like a little kid with a chocolate bar.

Will C also gets my vote, although that kid Chase Simone would probably win if he races (kid from MA, 6th race ever at Diablo, racing pro, got 6th).

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Chase wouldn't beat Will. Will was about 2 or 3 seconds off him that race and he was just off a broken collar bone. Oh yeah there's room for you in our room if you want to come film or ride or man up and race.

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
The pictures do NOT do the course any justice.

Top Section = Fast and flow

Middle = Off camber Gnar, hucktastic and hope you have medical insurance if it rains.

Bottom = Steep, shoots, off camber and fun!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The pictures do NOT do the course any justice.

Top Section = Fast and flow

Middle = Off camber Gnar, hucktastic and hope you have medical insurance if it rains.

Bottom = Steep, shoots, off camber and fun!
Some of thoose chutes are oldies..........straight the F down with about 500 roots come race time. Alot of the rocks sections are very very old school. I see some of 'Hudson trail' in there and the big drop is "Queer Eye"......nice landing, very tuff entrance (if they use the original entrsance) into it though - gotta be skilled or you'll be stalled at the lip.......

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some of thoose chutes are oldies..........straight the F down with about 500 roots come race time. Alot of the rocks sections are very very old school. I see some of 'Hudson trail' in there and the big drop is "Queer Eye"......nice landing, very tuff entrance (if they use the original entrsance) into it though - gotta be skilled or you'll be stalled at the lip.......
gotta love the triple chair lift! :thumb:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
gotta love the triple chair lift! :thumb:
That is the better side.......they should focus on that, more vareid terrain......more rideable steeps....plus you can go off to the edges of the mountain on that side for more variation....

The North Face is good. But the first year it opened it rained for like 3 months......and the trails just got obliterated. Wasn't a good way to start......

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Race to junior world team heats up

12:01 a.m. PT Apr 22, 2008

The conditions were excellent, the competition fierce in the Downhill Junior Expert class over the weekend at Sea Otter Classic.

Graeme Pitts, 17 of Nevada City, prevailed and earned a second-place podium finish in a field of more than 80 riders.

The results were identical to the race at Fontana Nationals two weeks ago when Pitts beat third place finisher Joey Schussler, who is captain of this year's Junior Worlds Championship Team. The Junior Expert class is frequently referred to as the "Other Pro" class in downhill.

In two weeks, with an even more intense set of national competitors all hoping to qualify for a position on the Junior Worlds Team, Pitts will travel to Plattekill, New York, representing Dark Horse Racing Team and Turner Bicycles.

The Junior World Championship is scheduled for late June in Italy.

http://www.theunion.com:80/article/20080422/SPORTS/911402932

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
so we got seeding runs approved for the JrX's. Free logistics for the race weekend. An awsome course. Automatic seat to the worlds with full USAC support. We'll provide a pit crew for any JrX racer needing help. Hell we'll even pick you up at Albany, NY International Airport and get you to the race and back. Need excuses You got none.

Broken tooth = Yes

Steep = Yes

Similar to WR = Yes

Fun = Yes

Action Shots = this weekend (too busy having fun to stop this past weekend)

Rain = Fun, let it pour

Neko = too young to be so fast but not eligible, 17-18 only for worlds, BUT could be a spoiler !!!

Steepness = Extremely

Will C = home mountain = fast = bring it on

Chase Simone = potential

20-30 feet behind Geoff = No sorry that was his father

Triple chair side = heaven

Evan Q = ??

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Hey Jim:

It was on our Calender - but with travel costs going up - we are being much more selective about our races.

Rich

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
yea i wanna bet! will c is fast anywhere. plus he has home field advantage. unless evan loves racing rock gardens, he's not even gonna give will a run for his money!

(i don't even know who evan is, i'm just generating e-hype! :D )

Evan throws barspin 360's off Broken Tooth like it's a curb.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Seriously, super rocky, looks like tacky soil conditions, as long as it doesn't rain, it should be a great course.