Quantcast

Just a few questions

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
I have a 2000 GT Agressor. I havn't even done any real off-road riding yet and I have had to get my rims trued a few times already and I have owned it 2 months.
What do I need to do to true it myself?
And what should I do to keep this from happening?
I am a newbie and mostly ride on the street to work until I get in better shape. Should I get new rims? I tweaked the front one up this evening taking it off of the bike. Cheap pieces of crap.:angryfire Help please.

spag52

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
MA
it would be easier to have the shop do it. You'd need a truing stand which go from like 80-130 USD. Also, spoke wrenches. An inexperienced person trying to true a wheel could end up skrewing it up more. I don't know how much knowledge u have but I am a complete idiot when it comes to that stuff. A wheel true at the LBS is about 8 bucks over here. Ask for there input on your wheels. A new wheelset might be the way to go.

Wit a spoke wrench an' a lil' readin' chu cud do a decent yob of it chorself right on da bike. Da key is da readin' comprehension. If you take your time it jusully ain't no big deal ta true up a decent wheel if da rim ain't bent.
If chu gets free service were ya bought chor bike go for dat.

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
Where can I find info about doing it myself? I like to do things myself. I am going to take it to the shop this time but I am afraid it will happen again.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Instead of springing for new rims, have your lbs re-lace your existing rims using a 2 or 3 cross lace. The wheels will hold true longer.

Trueing wheels is simple. Its all about practice. I'd suggest you get someone to show you the basics first and then play around with it on your wheels. If you mess 'em up. DON"T RIDE ON THEM. Take 'em bask to the lbs and have them fix it. Then start again. You'll likely have it down in 2 - 3 attempts. Good luck.