Quantcast

Just a little pic.....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave

South of Sherman Peak a view East to West of Snow Peak on the Kettle Crest Trail on Sherman Pass inbetween Republic and Kettle Falls Washington. Just north of my reservation (Colville) some of the mountains in the distance are probably in Idaho. The area was burnt by the White Mountain Complex, a fire started by 8 lightning strikes which totaled over 20,126 acres of destruction in 1988.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
jdcamb said:
Uhhh Wow! Must have been a soul ride. Just awesome pic. Got any more?
Yah it was a good one, i like riding solo on a trail i've never been on before.
It's very comforting in a weird way.
Plus with this being on land that my ancestors used to hunt and fish and pick huckleberries on, it was additionally special.
Legally this land falls on the old "North Half" of my reservation that was sold back in the 1800's.
i have hunting and fishing rights there, but i'm very satisfied riding my mt. bike and scaring the hell out of a few chipmunks. :)

Full ride report with pics.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1683553#post1683553

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
One pic or two pics stitched together?

Washington?

Nice picture sir.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Skookum said:
It's very comforting in a weird way.
Plus with this being on land that my ancestors used to hunt and fish and pick huckleberries on, it was additionally special.
I get comfort in places too. Weird. I went to the land of my ancestors once. Made me understand why they left...

Hmmm huckleberries. Never heard of them. I do however wish I had a place to hunt and fish without someone asking me what I am doing.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
johnbryanpeters said:
Didn't you have reservations about posting that picture?

Sorry, couldn't help it...
You're fired, clear out your desk.... :oink:

stevew said:
One pic or two pics stitched together?

Washington?

Nice picture sir.
Thank you sir.
Yes Washington State towards the Northeastern corner close to Canada.
More like 8 pics stuck together.
My G6 has a neat feature that keeps the exposure the same for a sequence of pictures for Panorama,
and i have Photoshop CS which also has a feature to make a Panorama.
i usually have to clone stamp a few sections (one i did very quickly and sloppily).
i plan on doing more of these,
it's very hard to describe in words why i have to stop in my tracks on a ride once in a while and just soak it all in.
These pics help make that pretty easy.

stosh said:
I always appreciate the pics you post!!!
TN said:
sweet pano. i bet the ride was killer too.
Thanks guys, glad you dig em, and yah the ride was good. i wish i could just ride and take pics for a living.
i need to marry a rich sugar mama.

jdcamb said:
I get comfort in places too. Weird. I went to the land of my ancestors once. Made me understand why they left...

Hmmm huckleberries. Never heard of them. I do however wish I had a place to hunt and fish without someone asking me what I am doing.
Where was that?
And yah Huckleberries are good, as well as deer and elk.
mmmmm yummy.
There was a bunch of fresh sage growing on the Columbia Mt. section of the trail,
the smell is nice, and it's considered a positive plant by many tribes.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Skookum said:
Where was that?
And yah Huckleberries are good, as well as deer and elk.
mmmmm yummy.
There was a bunch of fresh sage growing on the Columbia Mt. section of the trail,
the smell is nice, and it's considered a positive plant by many tribes.
I feel very comfortable in the hills just west of Rutland in Vermont. I seem to just know my way around places I have never been before. I get the same feeling in Wicklow Mountains of Ireland and the areas around the cali side of Tahoe. Just places I felt strangely at home at you know what I mean?

I love sage. I take the stale dried **** and rub it on my meat. I think the fresh stuff would feel better though.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah i'm with ya.
For me there aren't too many places i don't feel that way however.
Really though if an area brings an especially strong spiritual tone to a ride, then that's a great experience.
i think it's a subtle aspect that often goes overlooked,
and really i feel it's an intangible that is what really drives mt. biking ultimately.
From appreciating a good view from a good climb, to soaring in the air, to the comraderie within the bike pack.
If you get it on the mountain or by the river or on the street, it's all skookum (good).