Quantcast

Just a road bike guy getting into mountain, question on bike choice.

danger dan

Chimp
Jul 31, 2008
well, right now im mainly just a road bike guy, ride a trek 2100. ive never really owned a proper mountain bike but want to get into the sport, guess the roads getting a bit boring, wouldnt mind hitting up some trails on the weekends to mix it up. It all came to my mind when i saw a brand new trek top fuel hangin at my LBS. I knew i wanted to get into it.

anyways, as far as mountains go, im a noob, but i do know my way around a bike and the basics of them. From what ive read hardtails are the way to go as far as getting into the sport and getting a feel for it. I would really like to buy something that i can grow into and not have to replace or upgrade in the near future. The type of riding i would like to do is on smoother twisty dirt tracks with a few obstacles and what not. Probably some climbs and what not. That what my local singletrack has to offer anyways. also, im 19, 5'11" and weigh about 175 or so.

right now i would like to keep in the lower $1000 range. and what seems like a good choice is the rockhopper pro disk, which is $1200 for the most advanced model.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33093

last question would be what advantages/disadvantages would the larger tire 29ers offer, more beginner friendly or not?

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
You should check out your LBS and see what they offer. When you find a frame that you find comfortable you can then make sure you get a solid component set up. Buying a mountain bike is just like buying a road bike. Find what is comfortable and go from there. You should also decide between the frame material if you have those choices available.
You should be able to get a solid frame in that price range.

I wish I could help with the 29'er ? but I have never been on one.

Yangpei

Chimp
May 31, 2005
Pasadena
At your price point ($1000-1200), you can get a pretty nice hardtail. Or, you can get a reasonable full suspension bike. If the trails near you are mostly smooth singletrack, a hardtail will suffice. If, however, there are significant technical sections (both climbing and downhill), a full suspension bike will pay dividends. Specialized makes some nice bikes. You may also want to look at brands that offer more bang for the buck - Giant, Jamis, Iron Horse, KHS, etc. Check out discount internet retailers like ibexbikes.com or bikesdirect.com. As for 29er bikes - it's really up to you. 29 inch wheels tend to roll over obstacles better and rewards smooth riders. If you speed up and slow down a lot, the bigger wheels may feel slower because of the added inertia. You will probably find more options for a 26 inch bike, but keep your options open. Good luck.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I started off going from roadie to mountain biker.

My first mtn bike was a full suspension - one that I grew into, and that I was glad I got.

People say go hardtail because you can't just blast your way down the trail. You have to choose your lines carefully. You learn to read the terrain. You learn technical skill. There's something to that.

26"-wheels
nimble -think of the aggressive, quick-handling 20"-wheeled BMX bike. Smaller wheels will accelerate and decelerate faster, are more maneuverable, more agile.

29"-wheels
keep their momentum - if you and I are having a race across the parking lot and I get to roll a barrel and you get a tomato can, guess who is doing more work?
You do less work with a larger wheel.
Once it gets moving, it wants to stay moving.
It is not as nimble or agile as a smaller wheel, but does a fine job.

I recently showed up to a ride, lone female on a hardtail 29-er, with a group of hardcore 6-in travel riders. There was skepticism that I would keep up once they got going on the technical stuff. They seemed somewhat surprised that I was not as winded on the uphills and actually kept up with them on the downhills. :)

If you intend to commute at all TO the trailhead, a 29-er is ideal.

I just got a Spot 29-er and I love it. The only case I would not use it is if I think I'm going to be descending on really technical terrain and jumping off of stuff, where having rear suspension will save my knees and back, and a slacker headtube angle will keep me from pitching myself over the nose.

If you are just starting out, a 29-er hardtail might be perfect for you.

If you get a full suspension bike, be aware that suspension designs vary tremendously, and not all designs are good ones.

Good luck!