Quantcast

just another headset question!

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The Syncros headset that came on the bike is an internal bearing headset. Your frame has a 1.5 headtube, and I dont think Crank Bros makes a 1.5 headset, or a 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducer. You'll probably have to look elsewhere. If your fork has a 1 1/8 steer tube, you'll need a 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducer.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
can i get a 1.5 head set with a cup on the bottom? or does it have to be integrated? does anyone have a suggestion for a head set that will fit with stainless(or anything besides steel just not ti) bearings and a nice crown race?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
looks like im getting the reducers, what are my options now?
E13 reducer cups, either a straight reducer, or the the reducer that uses teh campy internal style

Problem solvers reducer cups

Or, One of my favorites, FSA orbit 1.5 to 1 1,125 reducer headset

Or, FSA Big Fat Pig Reducer 1.5 to 1.125
\
Also Cane creek double xc flush mount 1.5 to 1.125

There is MANY Options out there. Crank Bro's direct sets is not one of them, at the same time, I am not seeing a positive use in the world of DH/FR with the CB direct sets, even with proper installation, I am seeign more than a few that are cracking.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Crank Bro's direct sets is not one of them, at the same time, I am not seeing a positive use in the world of DH/FR with the CB direct sets, even with proper installation, I am seeign more than a few that are cracking.
hey DirtyMike, where did you see the CB Direct Sets break? im just concerned cus i just installed one on my bike, the Opium DH and i'm heading up to whistler pretty soon for some hard riding.

or do you refer to those that people cracked when they tried installing them?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
hey DirtyMike, where did you see the CB Direct Sets break? im just concerned cus i just installed one on my bike, the Opium DH and i'm heading up to whistler pretty soon for some hard riding.

or do you refer to those that people cracked when they tried installing them?
Front side of the lower race/cup.

So far what I have gotten from them...... Proper install is pretty crutial, and Proper facing and reaming it crutial for them to last. We have a dozen or so now, and had three come back with splits in the lower race. Thats more per install than any other headset the shop has done. The warranty is great, and easy to deal with, but Shouldnt have to.

We have not done any of the Opium DH sets yet though, and I would love to hear how yours held up post whistler.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Front side of the lower race/cup.

So far what I have gotten from them...... Proper install is pretty crutial, and Proper facing and reaming it crutial for them to last. We have a dozen or so now, and had three come back with splits in the lower race. Thats more per install than any other headset the shop has done. The warranty is great, and easy to deal with, but Shouldnt have to.

We have not done any of the Opium DH sets yet though, and I would love to hear how yours held up post whistler.
I'll definitly Let you know, i'm actually not going thaat soon, i'll be there on the 24th of July but have been riding with the direct set for like 5 sessions, so far so good. i basically bought it because of the Crazy low weight and stack height without it being an integrated headset. i'm on 224 and it doesn't have a 1.5 headtube so it was my best option and now i'll pass it onto a Commencal Supreme DH which i'll post up when im done building her up