Quantcast

Just built up

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pau11y said:
. Do this till it doesn't come out of true anymore. It may take as much as 1/2 dozen times (especially if I haven't built in a while). Use force appropriate for the wheel you're building - don't go reefin' on a road wheel, and don't be too gentle w/ a DH wheel.

A good indication of maximum tension is when even a 1/8 of a turn has a drastic effect on lateral trueness. The wheel will come out of true in a large wave, usually about 1/3 of the rim centered on the spoke you currently tensioning. I get to that point, and then finish trueing by backing off a bit of tension instead of adding.

TIP FOR BLADED SPOKES: use heavy gloves when stress relieving, or the pain will make you not relieve it enough. Ouch.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
thanks all for the good info, but i'm not gonna do this wheel... I have two century rides next weekend and the following, don't want to chance screwing it up.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
thanks all for the good info, but i'm not gonna do this wheel... I have two century rides next weekend and the following, don't want to chance screwing it up.
pussy :think:

:D

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
LordOpie said:
Those are handbuilt by Wheelsmith, yeah? What pattern?

Since I'm not about performance, I want to get mine re-built 3x.
mine were radial laced and since I relaced it 3x, it seems a lot more "confidence inspiring." The radials seemed to flex laterally whereas the 3x is stiff as all get out...

J

JRB

I built this up today -

Dura-Ace triple, front der, rear der, cassette, bb, shifters, ultegra calipers. Xero wheels. Bontrager Flat top bars and race lite stem. The frame is supposedly a prototype for next year. E5 with carbon seat stays with zertz.(sp???) The fork is carbon with the little zertz things to. Ritchey Tom Slick tires, which I think I will pick up some of tomorrow.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
ito said:
What is "zerts"?

Nice bike, but lose the triple man :nope: I'm so excited for my road bike that I'm building, hopefully going to be setup in a week or so!

The Ito
They're like some sort of shock dampening elastomer inserts for carbon parts. Specialized used it in their Pavé seatposts and I've heard some pretty good results w/ it. I wanted to get one, but I don't fly enough seatpost from the frame for one to fit. I can see the benefit of it in carbon seat stays and fork. They should also look into putting it into carbon monocogue (spelling?) stems.

J

JRB

chicodude01 said:
The shop owner doesn't know how to build a bike?
Yes - but I build bikes at night and on the weekends to trade for parts.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco said:
Yes - but I build bikes at night and on the weekends to trade for parts.
what a great part-time gig... if you're not getting cash, it's not like Julie could get mad at you for buying parts.