• Total voters

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Please check one of the poll selections after reading this:

ABC TV

My name is Jim Neugent. I wrote to ABC (on-line) concerning a
program called "THE PRACTICE." In last nights episode, one of the lawyer's mothers decided she is gay and wanted her son to go to court and help her get a marriage license so she could marry her 'partner.' ! I sent the following letter to ABC yesterday and really did not expect a reply, but I did get one.

My original message was:
ABC is obsessed (or should I say abscessed) with the subject of
homosexuality. I will no longer watch any of your attempts to convince the world that homosexuality is OK. THE PRACTICE can be a fairly good show, but last night's program was so typical of your agenda. You picked the 'dufus' of the office to be the one who was against the idea of his mother being gay and made him look like a whiner because he had convictions. This type of
mentality calls people like me a "gay basher." Read the first chapter of Romans (that's in the Bible) and see what the apostle Paul had to say about it.... He, God and Jesus were all 'gay bashers'. What if she'd fallen in love with her cocker spaniel? Is that an alternative lifestyle? (By the way, the Bible speaks against that, too.)
--Jim Neugent

Here is ABC's reply from the ABC on-line webmaster:
How about getting your nose out of the Bible (which is ONLY a book of stories compiled by MANY different writers hundreds of years ago) and read the declaration of independence (what our nation is built on), where it says "All Men are Created equal," and try treating them that way for a change!
Or better yet, try thinking for yourself and stop using an archaic book of stories as your lame crutch for your existence. You are in minority in this country and your boycott will not affect us or our freedom of statement.

Jim Neugent's second response to ABC:
Thanks for your reply. From your harsh reply, evidently I hit a nerve. I will share it with all with whom I come in contact. Hopefully, the Arkansas Democrat Newspaper will include it in one of their columns and I will be praying for you.
- -Jim Neugent

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
As I have said before... my bike mechanic is gay and also one hell of a nice guy... but in the end who cares? He is the best bike mechanic around these parts and that is what is important to me. :monkey:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OH BTW - the ABC reply is obviously bogus, even the worst PR dept in the world would never have constructed such a response.

I really doubt the initial letter generated any response at all. In fact, I think the entire thing is bogus. Let me be the first to call bull sh!t.

Thanks. :D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I agree with what Jim says, although not because of any religious conviction. I dont like the idea of gay marriages, and im displeased with the media's attempts to tell me its ok.

Flame away.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Flawed - the response was from the webmaster, who probably forced to watch re-runs of the Practice as punishment. :p

ABC wrote a response to the the viewer after webmaster's fiasco.
blah blah blah

Unfortunately, as in any organization, there are bound to be a few individuals that step out of line. To that end, we completed a comprehensive investigation into the matter earlier this afternoon. While the individual was deeply contrite and wanted to apologize to you, we felt that his actions were reprehensible and terminated him immediately.

Specifically in response to your original concerns regarding the subject of homosexuality in our programming, the ABC programming department has tried to treat such subjects in a sensitive manner. We recognize that we are serving a large, diverse audience with a wide range of attitudes towards all types of entertainment programming. We believe that programs thoughtfully reflecting social issues existing in our present society constitute proper television faire. We appreciate your original comments and take serious note of your thoughts on the potential direction of future story lines.

We are glad that you brought the e-mail incident to our attention. We truly regret that this happened, and we hope you understand by our actions that we will not tolerate this kind of behavior from any member of our staff.

yada yada ya
from snopes...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Spud
Flawed - the response was from the webmaster, who probably forced to watch re-runs of the Practice as punishment. :p

ABC wrote a response to the the viewer after webmaster's fiasco.

from snopes...
Now that is the kind of mumbo-jumbo I expect from a PR professional. :thumb:

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
May I suggest something to you? In the future, when you're trying to back up an argument, don't use the bible. The bible really sucks. Apparently, you can pull anything out of that thing. Just look at the Great Western Schism and the Reformation. All those guys were using the same book, not alot of agreement there. At the colloquy of Marburg, both Luther and Zwingli kept pulling out quotes to support each one's idea of transubstantiation.

If you want to back up your argument, use a quote from a classical philosopher, or something. Saying "look here its in the bible" is just about as weak as saying "the epic of gilgamesh says that in order to have civilized love you should have nonstop sex for a week." (yeah, it really says that)

Anyway, if a fictional TV show wants to create a story line involving gay people or abortions or a goldfish, you shouldnt care and unless you're a shareholder, you don't really have a right to complain. Just change the channel if you hate it so much.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by LordOpie
Umm, who ya talking to?
Jim/Ghostrider

The guy who started the thread and who wrote those things to ABC.

As an additional comment: Isn't that show about lawyers? "My Mother is a Lesbian" sounds alot more like Jerry Springer. That show's probably going down the tubes already, they need something to keep the ratings up.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Lobo, sorry if the thread was misleading - that letter is not from me - somebody emailed it to me. I should have been more clear - I never stated which side I was on. I was interested in what other people thought. For the record, I voted for the ABC dude - I think the bible is a crock of sh!t. So, you have falsly flamed me - I'm innocent - I demand a retraction!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Serial Midget
OH BTW - the ABC reply is obviously bogus, even the worst PR dept in the world would never have constructed such a response.

I really doubt the initial letter generated any response at all. In fact, I think the entire thing is bogus. Let me be the first to call bull sh!t.

Thanks. :D
It's an interesting contrast between old guys like SM and I compared to the younger crowd like Lobo.

Well, if nothing else, as you get older, you can smell it from a greater distance.

SM, were you married? Cuz I could smell my ex's BS from... well, enough of a tangent :D

We return you to your previously scheduled thread.

Thepagoda

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Davis, CA
I've been a hardline non-believer. My morals aren't formulated on any book and I have only seen the inside of a church once, I've never been inside a temple or a mosque. Aside from the occasional wedding (and even those haven't been very religious) the most religious experience was the one time I participated in a Hindu prayer.

That said I tried to read the bible a second time (first time I tried was for school, and well, it just didn't work out too well) because I wanted to understand a little more where some people were coming from. Unfortunately I can't help but thinking of the thing as if it is of the same caliber as a Marvel Comic, just a lot harder to read and no good drawing. Sorry for pissing everybody off, or somebody, or whatever, but I just may have to burn in hell because I don't beleive. But, I haven't killed anybody in the name of "Manifest Destiny," and I haven't partaken in any inquisitions or crusades, nor have I molested any young children, gone on witch hunts or sacked any cities. All in all that book has killed more people than any disease, any dictator, bomb (chemicle, nuclear or otherwise), and yet anybody you ask will tell you they are reading it the right way. Lobo is right, it's all a matter of conjecture

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Thepagoda
Unfortunately I can't help but thinking of the thing as if it is of the same caliber as a Marvel Comic...
Looking at it as strictly comic...

Mighty Mouse > Batman > Jesus

All Jesus could do was heal, make wine, sh!t like that... maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't think he ever laideth the smacketh down! ;) :D

Am I going to hell?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

All Jesus could do was heal, make wine, sh!t like that... maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't think he ever laideth the smacketh down! ;) :D

Am I going to hell?
LOL@ Opie. While we're getting all meta-physical (actually I don't know if we are gettingg meta-physical but I just wanted to use meta-physical in my post) answer me this Mr Opie----
Can God run faster than the six million dollar man?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
If you want to back up your argument, use a quote from a classical philosopher, or something. Saying "look here its in the bible" is just about as weak as saying "the epic of gilgamesh says that in order to have civilized love you should have nonstop sex for a week." (yeah, it really says that)
Hells yeah! That is my new bible! :monkey:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Am I going to hell?
If there is such a place, probably. So will I, because I laughed my ass off reading it. I'll buy you a beer when we get there.

My opinion on this is that I am sick of hearing everyones opinion. If you have no problems with gay people fine, I don't want to hear your opinion. If you think gay lifestyles are immoral, fine but I don't care what you think. If you think Jesus rocks, fine but I don't want to hear about it. If you think Jesus sucks, great just keep it to yourself. Opinions are like a$$holes, and much like my a$$hole, I hope no one wants to know about it.:D

BTW- My vote was for who cares.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Hey Westy, if you aren't interested in opinions, what the heck are you doing in the Political Debate forum????

I was originally interested in whether people actually think the bible is a legit place to formulate beliefs - so I'm lumping the "don't cares" with "No".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by ghostrider
Hey Westy, if you aren't interested in opinions, what the heck are you doing in the Political Debate forum????

I was originally interested in whether people actually think the bible is a legit place to formulate beliefs - so I'm lumping the "don't cares" with "No".
You got me, just being irrational.:D

I love the poli forum and most of what people say. This topic just irks me. Why does anyone care what other people do that does not affect them, whether you agree with it or not? People don't write into shows who have characters that lie. The bible clearly says lying is wrong and most everyone can agree with that.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Westy
Opinions are like a$$holes, and much like my a$$hole, I hope no one wants to know about it.:D
Well, I sure as heck don't wanna hear from your @sshole ;) :D

But I agree with ghostrider, this is the place for opinions... it's fun! I know what ya mean tho.

Originally posted by valve bouncer
LOL@ Opie. While we're getting all meta-physical (actually I don't know if we are gettingg meta-physical but I just wanted to use meta-physical in my post) answer me this Mr Opie----
Can God run faster than the six million dollar man?
*sings* Let's get meta-physical, meta-physical...

(i'm losing my mind :D I'm burned out (end of semester) and I can't focus on anything cuz I'm leaving for Moab in 3 hours!)

God is old. I don't mean George Burns old, I mean old like blue cheese on a warm day.

Put it this way, if the $6milion-man, God and a pregnant lady got into a foot race... God would finish fourth!

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Ghostrider, you have my apologies. I just assumed it was you, becase the thead starts out " my name is Jim Neugent." Now I realize it's one of those fabricated nternet things, like the letter from the girl in the army who yells at the french guy.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by Thepagoda
All in all that book has killed more people than any disease, any dictator, bomb (chemicle, nuclear or otherwise), and yet anybody you ask will tell you they are reading it the right way. Lobo is right, it's all a matter of conjecture
Well, in the same way that the NRA stickers say 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people' maybe christians should have one that says 'Bibles don't kill people, people kill people'.

I'm a non-believer personally but I dislike the generalisation that relgion causes all wars etc. Greed is the main driver for most bad sh*t that happens in this world, religion is sadly often used as a tool to get popular support for evil men's aims.