Quantcast

Just ended a trip early

Noontidal

Chimp
Feb 18, 2005
Ahoy,

I posted a long while back on this forum asking for advice and such. My intentions were to bicycle from Silverdale, WA to Boston, MA solo. Unfortunately, complications have arrisen and I had to cancel the trip at Bismarck, ND after a total of 1300miles progress and approximately 1500miles total distance. I took mostly I-90 and I-94 except next to larger cities.

Unfortunately, I've failed in my goal, largely due to inexperience, equipment failures and poor original packing along with a few other factors. I think I'll try again in a year. One of my largest personal mistakes was the amount of stuff I packed; I used a trek trailer and packed approxiamately 115lbs worth of clothing, spare parts, etc. My error there is obvious.

I used a 16 y/o Raleigh Mountain bike for the trip, and went through 12 tubes and 4 tires(incuding the trailer tires). Started with break pads half used, never had to change break pads or wire, never use breaks except in towns. Never had to change out the chain. Mountain bike was the right bike type for the trip methinks, but the one I used was in much too poor condition.

I have pictures that I can link to if anyone would like. All in all, it was a worthwhile trip dispite failing, which is why I intend to try it again eventually.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
sorry you didn’t meet your 'ultimate' goal but you achieved 90% more than most people just by stepping out your front door!
Savor what you did accomplish and good luck next time :)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
sucks that you had to abandon, but otherwise, nice work.

115lbs was a LOT of extra weight. what all did you pack? what do you plan on leaving behind next time?

--edit--

you know, if you want to take an opposite route, there's a group that leaves out of PA and rides to San Francisco every summer. www.hopkins4k.org they're pretty similar to us, TX4000.