Quantcast

Just finished first ride on my new bike.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I have not purchased a new bike off the floor of a bikeshop in about 10 years. I have been piecing them together and buying used. Well after a couple deals went bad ie cracked frame, bent wheel... I decided it is time to treat myself to a brand new bike.

I wanted to buy it from my local dealer, because everyone that works there is top notch, they are very helpfull and knowledgable, plus they do a lot for the mountain biking communtiy in the area.

I decided on a Norco Six, ever since I sold my Bullit to Tonyhawk and have been hardtailing it, I have missed the plushness of a FS. I went into Clarks Cycles today, had Russ switch out the grip shift for an Xt shifter, and left for my first ride.

This bike impresses me so much, it is heavier than my Bullit was, but rides a lot ligher. I can't wait to take it out and give it a real beating, it can handle it.

Anyway, if anyone else out there has been debating about getting a new bike soon, I say go for it. Here is a pic of it, this is as clean as it will ever be.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That Six looks pretty sick - how much does it weigh Smedford? Does it have one of those telescopic seat posts so you can raise it up to climb and drop it down for the descents?

Sorta diggin the army green and black look to it too - subdued yet cool.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Its not the lightest bike on the trail, thats for sure, It weighs around 40 pounds, but it rides a lot lighter. It does have the telescoping seatpost so I can raise it up for the ride to the top. Then slam it to the bottom for the ride back down. It is the perfect bike for where I ride.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
so how much do you want for it? :D

only joking - I've pretty much decided there is no substitute (for me) for the Bullit, except maybe a VP Free.

That Norco is verrrry nice looking though - great color too. How do you like the 4-bar linkage compared to the single-pivot? What kind of shock do you have on it?

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
The bike has a vanilla rc with pro pedal, that combined with the linkage makes for very little bobbing. The bobbing of the Bullit did not bother me at all. I just like the lower standover and compact feel of this bike. When riding the Bullit I always felt like I was on an old cadillac it would rock back and forth on the trail. Don't get me wrong, it was great to launch off things though.

Tonyhawk, how do you like the Bullit, has it made you a better rider? It gave me the confidence to take my riding to the next level.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I love the Bullit. I use it for everything - trail riding, cross-stuntry, DH.

I've got it built up with a Jr. T, the Vanilla RC shock with a 500lb spring, Bombshell rear and Sun Ringle front for wheels, Avid 8" mechanical disk brakes and Raceface bb+cranks. Its gotta be pretty close to the 40 lbs you've got with the Norco.

I had kept my FSR and Roast around in case I didn't like it, or wasn't able to keep up on group rides - I haven't touched either one since getting the Bullit.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
smedford said:
Tonyhawk, how do you like the Bullit, has it made you a better rider? It gave me the confidence to take my riding to the next level.
Smedford, just curious, but what were you riding prior to the switch over to the Bullit and hwo did it take your riding to the next level? Did it allow you to go bigger? Ride faster?

Curious to know.

Thanks!

Mark

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Congrats on the bike Smed, it looks like a sweet ride. Can't beat that FSR feel ;)

A 2nd wheelset and tires can take a lot of mass off that for more XC rides if the weight bugs you.