Quantcast

Just finished my ss convert

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
It's a nashbar steel frame with a 4" Judy fork. I also have a Surly rigid fork if I want it. It feels smooth and fast without all that clanking, buzzing crap in the chainline. It's also pretty light with all of that stuff removed. I was going to sell it but maybe I'll buy some new wheels and brakes. I have room. LOL

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
It weighs in at 26 lbs. Took it on the trail this morning and it is fast. Gearing is 32:18. The rear brake was rubbing on the bigass Geax Blade 2.25 tires so I took it off.

Attachments

Xterradork

Chimp
Sep 11, 2006
So any new info to report? I've been planning on replacing my Alu frame with a steel frame, then started to think about going SS. Your post makes me think about building up a SS bike like you did. The only other thing I would need is brakes (in addition to the frame, headset, fork and SS conversion stuff)

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I think I am going to put my rigid Surly fork back on. It'll cut a couple of pounds and make the front end stiffer. I should have enough cushion using the fat 2.25 tires. I broke up the old cassette for the rear gear and modded the Deore derailler for a chain tensioner, so I didn't spend any money on the conversion.

The bike is fast on the trails. The gearing sets the pace, as I want a certain spin while I'm cruising. I have to stop and wait for my riding buddy when I am on this bike.

I like it. It's a nice change from my freeride hardtail.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
nice bike... is that one of the nashbar 90 buck frames ??? looks great... i got my wife a cheap reken alum (100 bucks) frame from price point... works out great as her SS...

have fun on it :banana:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I got the frame a couple of years ago for like $75. The rest is bits and pieces from bikes I've worn out. It's 23.5 lbs with the rigid fork. I rode 5 miles out to the river today and went swimming. It's a great bike for getting around.

Xterradork

Chimp
Sep 11, 2006
I've been looking at a steel frame, the one you have is now on sale with a seat post for $45. Funny thing is, between this frame and the Nashbar 853 frame, is a difference of only 1.3 lbs. (but $240), sounds like I may be building up a full SS bike (rigid fork, Nashbar disc brakes, etc.) for the same price as the 853 frame! Ofcourse I have extra wheels, cranks, bars, etc. already laying around. Thanks for the info and the picture. It was a big help!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I've been looking at a steel frame, the one you have is now on sale with a seat post for $45. Funny thing is, between this frame and the Nashbar 853 frame, is a difference of only 1.3 lbs. (but $240), sounds like I may be building up a full SS bike (rigid fork, Nashbar disc brakes, etc.) for the same price as the 853 frame! Ofcourse I have extra wheels, cranks, bars, etc. already laying around. Thanks for the info and the picture. It was a big help!
$45 is a good price. I could have sold this bike twice in the last two weeks. The clean look draws them in, I guess.

The rigid setup really gets the power down. No bouncing and no mush.

It's a great way to use up some old parts. The only drawback is having a $200 that's as fun as a $1000 bike. As Joe Dirt would say, dang.

You are welcome, glad to help out.

Xterradork

Chimp
Sep 11, 2006
You know, I'm thinking if it's that nice, I may get two of them. One for
the SS bike and one to outright replace my Ironhorse Maverick Disc
frame. Heck, it really seems like a nice ride, and since it's so close to
the higher priced 853 in weight.