Quantcast

Just Florida being Florida

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
"But Monroe county’s budget will not cover the raising of all the roads, nor any mass buyout of homes, and an appeal to Florida state lawmakers to levy a new tax to cover these mounting costs has been rebuffed. Further costs will pile up as the county grapples with how – and who pays - to keep critical infrastructure such as sewers and power substations, as well as people’s homes, from being flooded along with the roads."

A mass buyout of homes makes absolutely no sense. Why should the general public bear the personal cost of you choosing to move to a place thats always been precariously close to submersion?

Besides, tax increases sound like a big government solutions. We should let private industry come in, I'm sure they'll do it better and more efficiently.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
A mass buyout of homes makes absolutely no sense. Why should the general public bear the personal cost of you choosing to move to a place thats always been precariously close to submersion?
Shall we also talk about all the homes that flood in the country time and time and time again? I can't figure out why communities don't FORCE people living in perpetual flood plains to GTFO. :disgust:

Besides, tax increases sound like a big government solutions. We should let private industry come in, I'm sure they'll do it better and more efficiently.
1624637261865.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Shall we also talk about all the homes that flood in the country time and time and time again? I can't figure out why communities don't FORCE people living in perpetual flood plains to GTFO. :disgust:
Let's not talk about the western half of the country living in wildfire zones :p

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Let's not talk about the western half of the country living in wildfire zones :p
Or the people who live in the desert, completely dependent upon a single, dwindling source of water that millions of other people, and some of of nation's largest farms, are also dependent upon.

At some point, it becomes neither financially feasible nor reasonable to assume we can sustain a (growing) population in a certain area. Rather than entrenching ourselves trying to forestall the inevitable, we need to start planning for the realities of the future.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yep - those places too. Just out of curiosity - do you pay exorbitant insurance rates 'cause you're up there in the fire-prone foothills? I envision a day when insurance companies just simply bail out of that market altogether.
It's hard to get insurance.
Ours fell through in the middle of buying the place...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
At USGS we were discussing how fucked Florida was over 20 years ago. It is basically sand all the way down, so sea walls would be useless unless they are nearly a mile deep. You think raising a road is expensive. There is no saving most of it short Chinese sci-fi scale engineering endeavours. I have zero sympathy at this point. Many of the people who live there are have some of the largest carbon footprints in the world. Can you say Karma?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Yep - those places too. Just out of curiosity - do you pay exorbitant insurance rates 'cause you're up there in the fire-prone foothills? I envision a day when insurance companies just simply bail out of that market altogether.
When I lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains our ISO fire rating was 6 (0ut of 9) ( 1 is a major urban city) because we had hydrants and a fire station. Even so if you house did not meet the Cal Fire Fire safe standards when the insurance firms sent their inspectors around you got canceled, Some firms did drop out of the market others jacked their rates way up. and most stopped writing new policies. Folks were turning to Lloyds of London and paying out the wazoo. We sold to a city slicker Google employee that wanted his kid in Los Gatos schools

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They've gone to rotating coverage here, even moreso after the camp fire in Paradise. The idea being that they diversify their liability across different areas for "the big ones" so that they don't end up covering every house in a community and get a zillion claims at once.

It's kinda fucked. They just decide they're going to rotate coverage in a community and just cancel everyone. And because of course, there's no coordination between insurance companies so people end up with literally uninsurable houses for a given year that not one company will cover because they all decided to rotate out for a particular year.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
They've gone to rotating coverage here, even moreso after the camp fire in Paradise. The idea being that they diversify their liability across different areas for "the big ones" so that they don't end up covering every house in a community and get a zillion claims at once.

It's kinda fucked. They just decide they're going to rotate coverage in a community and just cancel everyone. And because of course, there's no coordination between insurance companies so people end up with literally uninsurable houses for a given year that not one company will cover because they all decided to rotate out for a particular year.
Looking at your air quality you'll all be dead soon anyway before the fires get you.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If I was behind that, I would have spent the entire rest of that flight just whispering in his ear "your mommy and daddy are going to be very ashamed of you. Mommy and daddy are going to have to spend all that money to get your ass out of prison now. Then mommy and daddy will only be worth 1 million. Also I'm rubbing my penis on your elbow. Yeah you feel that right there? That's my unwashed dick. Whoop! Got some sack creeping up there now."

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I was behind that, I would have spent the entire rest of that flight just whispering in his ear "your mommy and daddy are going to be very ashamed of you. Mommy and daddy are going to have to spend all that money to get your ass out of prison now. Then mommy and daddy will only be worth 1 million. Also I'm rubbing my penis on your elbow. Yeah you feel that right there? That's my unwashed dick. Whoop! Got some sack creeping up there now."

I bet you can get a garrote through security.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
FFFUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKK YOOOOOOOOOOO

The FBI will not be pursuing federal felony charges against Berry, according to Miami-Dade police.

That guy would have already been beheaded if his name was islamic
Just misdemeanors, but the video of him being duct tapped damn near makes up for it.