Quantcast

Just found out how much my friends makes - holy ish!

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Not sure why I am making a post on here, just thought I would get some perspectives on this.

I went down to LA for a couple of days to hang out with my friend. I just quit my job (take this job and shove it type of deal) and have been thinking about getting a new start on things...she wants me to move down there with her and see if I can get something going in LA. We will see...

Point being, she had a bunch of craigslist/newspaper ads/etc type things cut out that she was sorting through. She is a dental hygienist who is looking to pick up another day. I guess the way they work is as independent contractors for dentist offices...so a lot of the hygienists will work maybe a 2 days a week for 1 dentist, 1 day a week at another...

She was showing me the ads and kind of commenting on pros/cons of each place (smaller practice vs super busy place, etc) and I noticed that every ad she had was saying things like $450 a day, $475 a day, $55/hr., etc. I think the lowest paying one I saw was $350 a day.

I was basically speechless...I had no idea she was making that kind of money. She said "yea, but these jobs per day are based on 8x1hour appointments...but if you only have 5 appointments that day you arent going to make that much".

Granted, but still. I guess come to think of it she does have a really nice apartment, drives a brand new Lexus, etc etc and has only been working 3 days a week (she likes time to walk on the beach and all that ****). Guess it shouldnt have been a shock that she makes so much. Not bad for an associates degree (with a little extra training) and about 1 year of actual work experience in the field.

I need to find another job...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
but you have to stare at nasty teeth all day long... :dead:

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Same thing here in Canada. With basic dental coverage pretty common you end up with a large population that goes to the dentist and seldom sees the bill... up the fee guide here and there, bill the insurance companies, no one complains...

However the downside of it is you can end up with a bad back from hunched over and scaling teeth all day... you don't see many hygienists over 40 up here....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
While working at Kaiser I came across a pay stub for one of the therapists... ho-lee sheet! Education pays, boys and girls.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Its all relative. She makes $45 an hour and in ten years she will make $45 an hour.

The dentist she works for now probably did not own his own office 10 years ago. He gets a cut of her work and the hundreds per hour he generates himself.

Maybe we should be talking about the dentist who owns a Mercedes as well his private plane (which is the case with my dentist).

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
yeah, dentistry seems like it has a good payoff in terms of salary vs. schooling involved (as it's about half the time in school/residency as medicine)... but, like i said, the mouth and teeth are slimy and gross even in the healthiest of specimens :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
yeah, dentistry seems like it has a good payoff in terms of salary vs. schooling involved (as it's about half the time in school/residency as medicine)... but, like i said, the mouth and teeth are slimy and gross even in the healthiest of specimens :D
what happens if you go into protology?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
sanjuro said:
what happens if you go into protology?
proctology is not a real specialty :wave: . urology and obstetrics/gynecology are both pretty "slimy" specialties, in terms of mucous membranes and discharge and all that... meh. on the other hand, the truly nasty stuff is encountered only when you are ensconced in a sterile gown, glove, cap, booties, and face mask.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Blah, I'm just jealous mostly. I have 2 B.S. degrees and 5 years industry experience, but since it is in IT I will likely never make what she does (she is 22 for what its worth).

Of course, I could recruit her to be my sugarmomma and problem solved?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Thats pretty good money, but you really don't want to know how much I make per year off of real-estate investments. Oh and did I mention rhet require absolutly no work on my part? A good paying job is definitley nice to have.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
h22ekhatch said:
Blah, I'm just jealous mostly. I have 2 B.S. degrees and 5 years industry experience, but since it is in IT I will likely never make what she does (she is 22 for what its worth).

Of course, I could recruit her to be my sugarmomma and problem solved?
You should be able to make $50 a hour if you stay with computers, particularily if you go into management. You will also get commenserate benefits as well.

But there is something to be said for quality of your work. With your educational background, you could choose a very interersting position. Toshi is right, she will be looking inside people's mouths for a long time.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It aint about the money.

Did you consider the cost of living in LA? She could make $50/hour and still not afford a POS house.

Don't forget that a 2 day/week contractor job wouldn't have any benefits. When I do side jobs I charge well over $100 and hour an it still isn't worth my time.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
buildyourown said:
It aint about the money.

Did you consider the cost of living in LA? She could make $50/hour and still not afford a POS house.

Don't forget that a 2 day/week contractor job wouldn't have any benefits. When I do side jobs I charge well over $100 and hour an it still isn't worth my time.
Yea the cost of living is what scares me from moving down there. I mean, I am just scraping by living in Portland and from what I have seen the jobs in my field really don't pay much more in socal :(

You are correct on the benefits as well...she has to pay for insurance, etc. on her own...but still.

You guys are obviously not as impressed as I was :)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
for some perspective.....i have more experience and schooling than your hygienist friend, i know more about criminal law than the average lawyer (could probably pass the bar exam) and a lot of my "customers" would rather kill me than say "hello". all that for a killer salary of $40k-ish per year. :think:

my brother, on the other hand, is an opthamologist (eye surgeon) and is only making $250k right now but next year, when he's done paying into the practice, he'll be baking about $35k - $40k per MONTH. :eek:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
manimal said:
for some perspective.....i have more experience and schooling than your hygienist friend, i know more about criminal law than the average lawyer (could probably pass the bar exam) and a lot of my "customers" would rather kill me than say "hello". all that for a killer salary of $40k-ish per year. :think:

my brother, on the other hand, is an opthamologist (eye surgeon) and is only making $250k right now but next year, when he's done paying into the practice, he'll be baking about $35k - $40k per MONTH. :eek:
I believe you will be rewarded for you're noble effort with happiness. The worth of happiness isn't measurable by any $$ amount. Your children will learn by your example. Not by privlege.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
jdcamb said:
I believe you will be rewarded for you're noble effort with happiness. The worth of happiness isn't measurable by any $$ amount. Your children will learn by your example. Not by privlege.

yeah, i totally agree. i wouldn't trade my job for anything....but sometimes it is frustrating to see people making rediculous amounts of cash for putting up with a lot less than i do. oh well, at least i have a good life expectancy after retirement ;) < 5 years :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
h22ekhatch said:
Yea the cost of living is what scares me from moving down there. I mean, I am just scraping by living in Portland and from what I have seen the jobs in my field really don't pay much more in socal :(
Jeezus. What kind of crap IT job did you have? IT offers a pretty damn nice standard of living around here.......... :think:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Per day.... bla bla bla... Being paid as an independent contractor (which may or may not be appropriate) may seem nice, but lets not forget about a few things. As apposed to working for a company, out of that $350 per day
Taxes , just your FICA is going to be any where from ~17-25%. Lets not forget about Social Security (6.2%), Then is there city/county/state income tax in CA? How about unemployment tax? Lets not forget about insurance you aren't getting.

Dont forget the IRS likes its money upfront, so as an independent contractor get ready to front some cash in estimated tax payments.

Cost of living?

Doesnt sound like such a sweet gig to me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
manimal said:

Yeah, but who gets to ride his bike on the job and fire guns?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
manimal said:
yeah, i totally agree. i wouldn't trade my job for anything....but sometimes it is frustrating to see people making rediculous amounts of cash for putting up with a lot less than i do. oh well, at least i have a good life expectancy after retirement ;) < 5 years :D
I think that the job of a law enforcement officer, much like that of a teacher, is highly undervalued.

P.S. That pay stub I saw was for 19,000 dollars. And that was for a two week period of listening to peoples problems and perscribing them medication to control their depression. :eek:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wish I could make more dough, but I learned a few years ago that it doesn't matter as long as I'm happy and the bills are paid. I have made nearly twice what I make now, but I hated it and was not a nice person to be around.

As for cleaning others teeth, I don't think you could pay me enough to do that.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
My wife is a hygienist. The money is definitely good. Having 3 day weekends every weekend is nice too. As far as being in peoples mouths- it's just like any other job, after a while it's all the same.
The advantages are that you can work anywhere you like andif you are good you can name your pay most of the time. The Dr who hired my wife, hired her then asked how much she wanted. nice.
Benefits are good, the only disadvantage is that it can be hard work. Bent over and scraping in someones mouth who hasnt ever brushed thier teeth is tough work. If hygienists don't take good care of themselves, theres a good chance they will get carpal tunnel syndrome. Sara has biweekly chiropractic adjustments and massage to make sure she stays healthy. We live waaay beneath our means though and with my photography going like it is, she won't be working long, unless she wants to pick up some extra cash now and then :)

Don't think the school is easy though, it's like a boot camp. Sara cried pretty much constantly for the last 2 years of her schooling. It's also not so easy to get in. Sara was 1 of 20 accepted out of 300 applicants to apply to the school in Tacoma.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
BillT said:
Ditto what Rob said...$350/day isn't that much once you factor in taxes and paying for what would normally be considered benefits (medical coverage, retirement, etc) as a full-time employee at most companies.
I know what you are saying...she has to pay for her own insurance out pocket, doesnt get company matching on 401k, and vacation/sick time = no pay.

I was just surprised they made so much. Even factoring total compensation I couldn't touch it.

That said, I bet at the end of the year she doesn't make much more than I do...but I am working a LOT more hours to get there :)

SkaredShtles said:
Jeezus. What kind of crap IT job did you have? IT offers a pretty damn nice standard of living around here..........
It can, but I haven't been able to hit the big payday yet. I have been stuck with a nightmare-ish company for the last 3 years tho. I am so glad to not be playing the real life version of office space anymore :)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ciaran said:
I think that the job of a law enforcement officer, much like that of a teacher, is highly undervalued.

P.S. That pay stub I saw was for 19,000 dollars. And that was for a two week period of listening to peoples problems and perscribing them medication to control their depression. :eek:
besides the education..

i always thought a private psychiatry practice was among the coolest medical jobs.

is mostly clean, most of the hardcore ones usually dont go to private practices for long, and the patients seem pretty average and the illnesses tend to be common .
plus the risk of malpractice isnt quite high (you can always claim they were too crazy to begin with:D )

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
After about $95,000 a year, the FICA tax goes away. (known as "self-employment tax" to 1099-ers.)

Although, unfortunately, $350 a day won't get you past that.