Quantcast

just getting started, need help selecting right bike.

freeski>bike

Chimp
Apr 21, 2010
Hello everyone, I am tired of waiting all summer for ski season to start and would like to get a bike to ride around the city and some trails. I am completely clueless as to what to get for a bike. I won't be doing much downhill stuff just light trails to get things started, any suggestions would be much appreciated. also i am 33 yrs old, 6'2", 185 lbs if that helps at all. thanks.:thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would recommend a hardtail.

It is more reliable than a full suspension bike, lighter and better pedaling as well.

Also, I wouldn't buy a really cheap full suspension bike, but cheapo hardtails are good for a lot of things.

freeski>bike

Chimp
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks, is there any suspension on the hardtail, as i would like to try and do some more agressive riding after a few months of learning the ropes. also i was wondering what model hardtail would you or anybody reccomend?

Last edited:

muddy_8mtb

Chimp
Apr 22, 2010
South Yorkshire
what is your budget? and do you intend to do more city riding than trails? that will dictate which type of tyres are best, a hybrid/ cross country rider will be better for town and trail as the tyres a thinner for road (and you!). Riding a full blown moutain bike on the road will soon wear you out because of the fat tyres and suspension elements, thats why you have road bikes with no suspension! it's nice to have but just adds weight and increases drag, I see people everyday on there £70 bike from the supermarket with fake front suspension not having a clue why it's there or neccessary! pointless!
For my ride to work on the road/ light trails I use a 15 year old fixed fork Carrera moutain bike with modified 1.5inch, puncture resistant, road tyres. For the weekend blat round the forest I have a merlin malt 2 (http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/custom-mountain-bikes/merlin-mountain-bikes/merlin-malt-21.html) hardtail with optional reba team front fork. (fantastic and can highly recommend this) and 2+ inchs full tread tyres.

So the question you need to ask yourself is how do you intend to ride it most? Quality Hybrid bikes usually start from £200 and upwards. Quality hardtail moutain bikes from £500 (although the prices are squewed because one is marketed to commuters and the other is more a leisure item)
any more questions?:thumb:

muddy_8mtb

Chimp
Apr 22, 2010
South Yorkshire
are sorry, forgot to ask country of origin - should have guessed from your weight in pounds!
I'm not familiar with US prices so maybe someone else can comment on a suitable bike - other than in the UK there's masses of choices over £500 (approx. $1000). I read up on various forums and bike magazines to find the merlin. A hardtail (a bike with only front suspension) will do you fine unless it's really rocky unwalkable stuff then you'd get the benefit of a full suspension.
For the money get the best fork you can buy, Rockshox, magura or fox are the best - air sprung systems are better than coil sprung.
Shimano gears and brakes are very good as are sram but sram go under a number of trading names depending on the component - rochshox in forks for instance, avid (I think) for brakes etc.
I'd look at the big manufacturers to get an idea of a spec. Trek or Specialized? then go hunting for something similar. or try your local bike shop and see if they do test rides? I

JasonJ

Chimp
Apr 10, 2010
What these guys are saying are all solid advice for starting out. I couldn't say these things better.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I would start off with a rigid 29er, perhaps a single speed even.

they are inexpensive (around 400-500 bucks) for a raleigh or kona and will give you alot of time on the trails with minimal maintenence and give you a good base on building your riding skills.

during that time you can nail down the specifics in a full suspension bike or an all mountain bike. you will become familiar with the terminology, brands, and designs and be able to test ride everything under the sun.

if you stay in this sport you will end up having more than 3 bikes anyways so you might as well get a good steel frame rigid XC bike to make you tire changes and mistakes on.

Oldschool40

Chimp
Jul 3, 2010
You can still get a decent used FS bike for a grand. Look at stump jumpers used. I would highly recommend a FS if it's decent and in good shape. Maybe even a used FSRXC from specialized. A good FS bike will out climb , descend much better than a HT and they don't weigh a ton like they used to.

Bail_Monkey

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Bay Area
A hardtail w/suspension front fork is probably good enough if your going to ride the street and your not going on any technical trails. Check out craigslist daily for a used bike to get a deal. Just make sure that the bike isn't stolen, there are serial number under the bottom bracket that you can run through the police department.