Quantcast

Just got hired with a new FD...any advice.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Just got hired by my dream department, Orange County Fire Authority. Only problem is their morning workouts are absolutely BRUTAL. Anyone have recommendations for supplements for recovery? I was on protein and creatine but I don't need to build muscle. I just need to be able to recover faster so that my muscles aren't sore then next day when they break me off again.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Dont you do something like 48 on, 48 off? If thats the case my suggestion... Suck it up and rub some dirt in it. If not, maybe powerbars? haha I really dont know. I can only think of powerbar recovery bars :disgust:

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
stretch a lot more. I mean a lot a lot. Before and after. It really helps imo.
Wow. I agree 100%. :shocked:

Probably the best thing you can do, IMO. Suppements help to a certain extent, but soreness will only be aleviated with more work for the most part. Stretching will be the only thing that makes a difference in the meantime.

Edit - immediate recoveries can be helped with emergen-c (I swear by it...not just for colds and the likes) and/or watered down (1/2-1/3 h20 + drink) sodium-packed drinks (gatorade or powerade).

That's my experience, like it or not, it's what's worked for me.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Obviously, stay hydrated. That's surprisingly easy to forget. You can also start to take advil to ease up on the inflammation. After a couple of weeks you'll be fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Congrats Paul!!! Glad to hear that things are going well for ya.
ditto. paul, did you ever get that F-250 and convert it to biodiesel? :D

i also echo Silver's recommendation of advil/ibuprofen. take it regularly for maybe a week, at a medium dose like 600 mg three times a day.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
foam rollers and stretching. foam rollers are like deep tissue massage you perform yourself. they help speed recovery time and have helped work out some pain in my legs since I just started working out again. stretch every night for 20 minutes before you go to bed, and do 20 minutes on the roller before that. I can provide some workouts (or google can) if you're interested.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Just got hired with a new FD...any advice
Wait a minute, I'm lost...how did you get hired by a new Front Derailleur? That doesn't make any sense at all. :crazy:

Sleep, stretching, lots of fluids, and force yourself to eat a small meal before morning workouts. It'll get better after a couple weeks.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
what amateur said

Worked for me doing traithlons

congrats on the new job
best advice..shut up and listen to the experienced guys then ask intelligent questions
Yeah thanks for the advice. The tough part now is how can I tell my current Chief without getting the wrath brought down on me.