Quantcast

Just got my Sirius satellite radio.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Got it last night, installed it this morning, hooking it up was easy. However I don't care for the magnetic antenna, and how they mount. The thought of wires on the exterior of a vehicle just doesn't sit right with me. I was wishing they would do an antenna like the old built-in cell phones where the receiver of the antenna is inside the car and there's an external one that mounts on the outside glass. I'm going through the FM portion and it still gets static in some areas (I tried different stations), thinking of going with the wired cassette and go through the tape portion of the stereo. All in all sound quality is just ok, but it nice to hear uninterrupted music, and music of my choice. Thought about going with an aftermarket head unit but I don't want to deal with theft, and like the idea of setting it up also in Julie's car for long trips. But again all in all, not to bad.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Brian HCM#1 said:
nice to hear uninterrupted music
What stations are you listening too? I've yet to find one without yackity yack DJ's and neverending Sirius Hype. I'm getting used to it, but I was sooooo ticked off for the first month. No commercials my :monkey:. Admitidly it's worse on the more "hip" stations [Faction, etc...] but even the blues and jazz stations have it. Ugghhh. Oh well. I got it for a year, will probably sell the unit if they continue down this path.
:/ end rant.

:D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Brian HCM#1 said:
However I don't care for the magnetic antenna, and how they mount. The thought of wires on the exterior of a vehicle just doesn't sit right with me. I was wishing they would do an antenna like the old built-in cell phones where the receiver of the antenna is inside the car and there's an external one that mounts on the outside glass.
I know you can get them aftermarket for XM, so you should be able to find them for Siruis too. Going through the tape deck will be a noticeable improvment over the FM modulator. If your factory head unit has CD changer controls not being used, pick up a PIE adapter and wire that sucker direct.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BikeGeek said:
I know you can get them aftermarket for XM, so you should be able to find them for Siruis too. Going through the tape deck will be a noticeable improvment over the FM modulator. If your factory head unit has CD changer controls not being used, pick up a PIE adapter and wire that sucker direct.
I've search all over for that kind of antenna, and it looks like it was only made for XM, I don't think they even make them anymore. My truck have a seporate tape deck that I never use, but I don't think its wired with RCA inputs.....which would be ideal.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Whatsa matter Brian.. got tired of listenin to all the stations here that are changing to mariachi (sp?) music? :D

Why not go with an aftermarket HU? They pretty much all have removeable faceplates now.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Just found this blurb. Right now its OEM on some new vehicles, but word is it should hit stores by March.

A new Sirius radio antenna for vehicles was just released in the last week of October, 2004. This new antenna from Sirius radio is an interior glass-mounted antenna for automobiles and other vehicles, which represents the next step in the evolution of satellite radio antennas . This Sirius radio antenna is called SIGMA. Designed by SIRIUS and RecepTec, the satellite radio antenna is mounted in the shaded sun band of a vehicle's front windshield, has no exposed wiring and is unobtrusive - providing distinct aesthetic advantages over the exterior-mounted satellite radio antennas currently in use.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BikeGeek said:
Just found this blurb. Right now its OEM on some new vehicles, but word is it should hit stores by March.

A new Sirius radio antenna for vehicles was just released in the last week of October, 2004. This new antenna from Sirius radio is an interior glass-mounted antenna for automobiles and other vehicles, which represents the next step in the evolution of satellite radio antennas . This Sirius radio antenna is called SIGMA. Designed by SIRIUS and RecepTec, the satellite radio antenna is mounted in the shaded sun band of a vehicle's front windshield, has no exposed wiring and is unobtrusive - providing distinct aesthetic advantages over the exterior-mounted satellite radio antennas currently in use.
SWEET!!!!! Plus I just found/ordered the adaptor that ties into the factory unit :thumb: now I'll be able to run it throught the head unit and bypass that sh1tty FM signal.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
DLo said:
Whatsa matter Brian.. got tired of listenin to all the stations here that are changing to mariachi (sp?) music? :D

Why not go with an aftermarket HU? They pretty much all have removeable faceplates now.
I hardly listened to that station anyways, in the morning I listen to Howard Stern, then depending on where I'm at I'll listen to that Sacramento station or this high school station out in Concord, thats actually very good, other than that its CD's.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Brian, where did you get the adaptor for your truck. I have the same set-up. Also, what Sirius unit did you get? thanks.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BikeGeek said:

Did some research thismorning on them, and so far they are only available for Nissan & Toyota/Lexus as a package, however I have a freind who is a service writer for Lexus, so I'm going to see if he can score one for me.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Just installed the PAC adaptor in my truck this weekend, WOW what a difference, the FM sounds like such crap, now my music is CD quality on a ****ty stock sound system:thumb:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Got it last night, installed it this morning, hooking it up was easy. However I don't care for the magnetic antenna, and how they mount. The thought of wires on the exterior of a vehicle just doesn't sit right with me. I was wishing they would do an antenna like the old built-in cell phones where the receiver of the antenna is inside the car and there's an external one that mounts on the outside glass. I'm going through the FM portion and it still gets static in some areas (I tried different stations), thinking of going with the wired cassette and go through the tape portion of the stereo. All in all sound quality is just ok, but it nice to hear uninterrupted music, and music of my choice. Thought about going with an aftermarket head unit but I don't want to deal with theft, and like the idea of setting it up also in Julie's car for long trips. But again all in all, not to bad.
I'm using a "tape" converter for my mp3 player and the quality sucks. Sounds like everything is on an old tape. :think:

I'm looking into getting a new sterio with a mini Headphone style "in" jack.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
-BB- said:
I'm using a "tape" converter for my mp3 player and the quality sucks. Sounds like everything is on an old tape. :think:

I'm looking into getting a new sterio with a mini Headphone style "in" jack.
What car and features are on your current head-unit?