Quantcast

Just got some new pots and pans

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Just got these new stainless steel copper bonded pots and pans from Kirkland (costco)....do I need to "break them in" or season them? This is my first set of cookware

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Nothin fancy...18/10 stainless with copper bonded base. rivetted handles....Bought if from costco but was misleading...the display models were "made in italy"...the ones I got were made in thailand.. They still seen to be nice. Good solid weight to them.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
metal handles? if so, that's good so you can transfer from stovetop to oven. pan-searing then finishing in the oven is a good technique.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
valve bouncer said:
Why start a new topic? Shouldn't this go in the "pot" thread.....Bwahahahaha...I kill me.....;)
Sometimes, Master Dildoist, you are very funny.

This is not one of those times.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Alright Paul! When are you making dinner for everyone?

I just got some new pots and pans too. (People give you stuff when you get married... go figure!) Now all I need are some good knives.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
SkaredShtles said:
Some of these? I'm getting those for Xmas. :thumb:

Edit: We checked 'em out Saturday and they are *HEFTY* pieces of cookware.
Those are the exact ones....though I already ruined the smallest pot. Got home from work...thought I'd boil some water for cup o noodles...feel asleep. Woke up 3 hours later to find that the aluminum in the base had melted into a puddle by the burner and the copper base blew off the pot.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What kind of burner did you leave that on? Yikes!

Bring em back. Costco is usually pretty good about warranty stuff. Tell them you were just cooking along...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I got the "Emeril" line from All-Clad earlier this year for a wedding gift. Stainless rocks.

Tip: Bon Ami cleanser.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
I got the "Emeril" line from All-Clad earlier this year for a wedding gift. Stainless rocks.

Tip: Bon Ami cleanser.
we've got the Emeril set which works well. got this as an xmas gift 3 years on or so. also have two all-clad pans (one braiser, one deep-dished pan kinda between a stock pot and sautee pan) and i can't tell any difference in performance between the AC and emeril.

one additional piece of cookware i highly recommend is a Le Creuset or similar:

you don't need a multi-item set; just get a large 5 qt piece or so. essential for stews and other slow-cooked meals.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm too cheap to shell out for one of those. Maybe next Christmas. I'd love to have a 7qt French Oven...

I have a stainless All Clad Dutch oven though, so it's hard to justify, y'know?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Silver said:
I'm too cheap to shell out for one of those. Maybe next Christmas. I'd love to have a 7qt French Oven...

I have a stainless All Clad Dutch oven though, so it's hard to justify, y'know?
yeah, a stainless one should do the trick as well. as far as cost, just keep yr eyes open; we got ours for less than $80 at some local discount place (either TJ Maxx or similar).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Dog Welder said:
Those are the exact ones....though I already ruined the smallest pot. Got home from work...thought I'd boil some water for cup o noodles...feel asleep. Woke up 3 hours later to find that the aluminum in the base had melted into a puddle by the burner and the copper base blew off the pot.
Apparently there are other pots on the market with the same issue.

http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=c4f329a8-0abe-421a-0139-4f8f2cb5e1a8&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ALL CLAD - Are they any good? We recieved two All Clad pans as wedding gifts. Pretty hefty, and nice lookin but I don't know much about cookware.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
ALL CLAD - Are they any good? We recieved two All Clad pans as wedding gifts. Pretty hefty, and nice lookin but I don't know much about cookware.
Depends. The really nice stuff is triple layer but you can't tell because the copper layers are encased inside the stainless.

What model are they?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
All-Clad is good stuff, if you get the triple layer models. I don't like non-stick for anything, personally. I've also had really good luck with stuff from Chaudier out of Canada. Le Crueuset is great stuff - basically cast iron with enamel bonded over it.

If you are looking for good knives, be aware that all the "good" companies put out a few lines, at least one of which sucks really bad. Avoid Henckel's International line (only has one little guy on it instead of 2 - you can find them at Costco sometimes) , but their four star/five star/S lines are great. The International lines are either Spanish or Brazillian steel and cant hold an edge for crap. The other lines are German steel and they stay stupid sharp for a very long time. Same sort of thing with the Whustoff (sp?) stuff, but I don't know much about their lines.

-FOR WHAT ITS WORTH-
spending $$ on good pots and pans is a good idea. Avoid all aluminium stuff (go stainless, enamel, glass, or cast iron) since when you cook with it, some of the aluminium actually vaporises and ends up in your food, which does things like cause alzheimers disease. Cast iron does this too, but I'd rather have a bit of extra iron in my diet than aluminium. The non-stick teflon coatings are really bad for this sort of thing. The cheaper ones use a Teflon coating over aluminium. The coating flakes off and gets into the food (and Teflon is a known carcinogen), as a bonus you then get the alu, too.

The other options - stainless, glass, enamel - don't do this.