Quantcast

Just had a conversation with a Forest Service person

fattyfat1 said:
anyone been to whistler? snoqualmie doesnt have a chance. theres no vertical drop, no nightlife, no lodging, no tyler klassen standing next to you in the lift line. no sitting two tables over from cedric and anne -caroline in the longhorn drinking beer. no super sick trails. that place is a joke. want to know what it will be like? come to my neck of the woods and ride ski-bowl at mt hood. WHAT A GIANT PIECE OF CRAP THAT PLACE IS! one trail, fun for about an hour. 150 yr. old lifts that take 45 minutes to get to the top for a five minute ride down a rocky, 2" deep dustbowl that takes 5 minutes to clear. nothing but fire road crap! forget snoqualmie, think crystal! think timberline or meadows, think bachelor or baker, forget qualmie!
While i don't quite agree with all of what you said. I do agree that Crystal is Washingtons best option for a bike park....It has the elevation and geography to make work. Flow is essential to make it right and make it for everyone!! It has to be appealing to both beginners and expert levels in order to be succesfull. As Trailhacker said, Snoqualmie is just to steep EVERYWHERE to be a succesfull bike park (financially).

As far as Skibowl....carefull what you bitch about, when it's gone you be begging for those slow lifts and one decent trail!!!

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Send letters and give calls to Snoqualmie. They are permitted to run bikes on their hill in the summer, and most of ski areas in our region will never be allowed to run shuttles in the summer (it has to be in their Forest Service Access and Travel Management plan).

They shut down due to lack of profit, and a few environmental concerns that could be addressed through good trail building. When you send letters tell them that BBTC will coordinate volunteers to build them sweet new trails. They had gnar-technical, but need an A-line and B-line to attract the masses. They can open up again some day, the $$ might just be there for them. Just think about the exponential growth of Whistler's summer ops in the last few years, and how many people are at SST on any given Saturday.

Keep hope alive - Whistler is just too far away for most of us to make it more than a couple times a year.

juice said:
Send letters and give calls to Snoqualmie. They are permitted to run bikes on their hill in the summer, and most of ski areas in our region will never be allowed to run shuttles in the summer (it has to be in their Forest Service Access and Travel Management plan).

They shut down due to lack of profit, and a few environmental concerns that could be addressed through good trail building. When you send letters tell them that BBTC will coordinate volunteers to build them sweet new trails. They had gnar-technical, but need an A-line and B-line to attract the masses. They can open up again some day, the $$ might just be there for them. Just think about the exponential growth of Whistler's summer ops in the last few years, and how many people are at SST on any given Saturday.

Keep hope alive - Whistler is just too far away for most of us to make it more than a couple times a year.
Can you give us a mailing address, e-mail address, and/or phone number to reach Snoqualmie??

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i wish people would stop comparing snoq to whistler...its not whistler...

look at cypress..they are opening lifts to bikers...its another option for people...not everwhere needs to be whistler....

sunpeaks offers some really fun lift access biking which also isnt whistler. they are steep, natural, and built a half-assed attempt for an a-line trail. all the times i have ridden steamshovel (their aline) there have been maybe 3 other people on it...

maybe jumping trails belong at whistler because thats where they are know? who knows...but if a resort offered me a constant lift ride up to get some fun dh in...i would be all over a seasons pass....

im with trailhacker....id prefer steep natural over a-line trails for around here, and when garbo was open, i was super stoked. i dont spend much time at all on the lower part of whistler and avoid a-line at all costs....DM is fun, but if im stuck on the lower mountain, its on joyride, whistler dh, or the national course...

ive written a bunch of letters to the GM of snoq as well as sent various emails and have gotten what seems to me as positive responses...nothing with a yay/nay at all, but atleast I got responses....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
trailhacker said:
If Snoq. opened again and let us work in a few more lines, hell if they only let us ride the existing trails, I would go to Whistler maybe 2-3 times a year and spend the rest of the summer at Snoq.
Also, Snoq would never try to "compete" with a resort like Whistler. It would be the same situation it is in the winter - someplace close to home where you could go ride for a day and be home in time for dinner or at least sleep in your own bed that night.
That says it all right there. We all know there is no other whistler, but for me i cant make but 1-2 trips there each year (sometimes just daytrips too). Maybe when my kid is older and into biking we will have passes, but thats a good 12 years out...... Any trip to canada is a LONG day, and even with the new place running chairs that wont make things any easier for me. I didnt even make 1 shore trip last year. But if there was a local place to go and have a good day of riding (snoq or crystal) then i'd be a paying pass holder and make good use of it.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
seand said:
i
......but knowing that money is what drives progress........

i would love to know that a seasons pass i buy for snoqualmie in the winter can be used in the summer for the same year for an added 15 bucks or something. big white in montana does that and the locals LOVE it.
So $$ drives progress, but you only want to pay 15 bucks more to have a summer pass? I am a winter pass holder as well, and would be more than willing to pay a decent full price for my pass.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
it is incentive to keep your winter pass holders in the summer. big white makes a KILLING off this offer. they also only charge 200 for a summer pass if thats all you want.

if they charged for both a winter and summer pass as snoq i would pay for the summer one...its supporting a local cause and im all for that.

PsychO!1 said:
Can you give us a mailing address, e-mail address, and/or phone number to reach Snoqualmie??
Dan Brewster
General Manager
Ski Lifts Inc.
P.O. Box 1068
Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068

206-236-7277

My boyfriend didn't have great luck emailing them about our winter passes, so I would suggest snail mail or phone.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
fattyfat1 said:
anyone been to whistler? snoqualmie doesnt have a chance. theres no vertical drop, no nightlife, no lodging, no tyler klassen standing next to you in the lift line. no sitting two tables over from cedric and anne -caroline in the longhorn drinking beer. no super sick trails. that place is a joke. want to know what it will be like? come to my neck of the woods and ride ski-bowl at mt hood. WHAT A GIANT PIECE OF CRAP THAT PLACE IS! one trail, fun for about an hour. 150 yr. old lifts that take 45 minutes to get to the top for a five minute ride down a rocky, 2" deep dustbowl that takes 5 minutes to clear. nothing but fire road crap! forget snoqualmie, think crystal! think timberline or meadows, think bachelor or baker, forget qualmie!
although i agree with you in some ways, i still have to say that if it was open you'd probably go once or twice a year anyways.....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
PsychO!1 said:
While i don't quite agree with all of what you said. I do agree that Crystal is Washingtons best option for a bike park....It has the elevation and geography to make work. Flow is essential to make it right and make it for everyone!! It has to be appealing to both beginners and expert levels in order to be succesfull. As Trailhacker said, Snoqualmie is just to steep EVERYWHERE to be a succesfull bike park (financially).
i've said it before i'll say it again, Crystal has the potential to be soooooooooo awesome.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Snoqualmie lost money because when they had the summer lifts running it was an XC dominated sport as Langer said earlier. The balance has definitely made a huge shift over the years since they ceased summer ops.
I would be all over a summer lift pass for any local resort running services. It's really embarassing to live here considering we're surrounded by states and another country that all have some good lift-access trails.
There's only one Whistler and that's the way it should be. In a perfect world, every bike park would be unique in itself but still have enough in common with the other locales to appease the masses.
Thanks for the links and I'll definitely share my feelings with the powers that be.:)

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I will agree that there's more FR/Dh types out there now than there was when Snoqualmie closed. But, there's no way I'd agree with a, "huge shift" from XC.
Without hard facts, I'd say that the XC bike market is probably still double the FR/DH market. Not including the comfort bikes that Oly was talking about in another thread. And, I'm including all the, "enduro" 5" travel type bikes as "XC".
Mountain biking is evolving, no doubt about it. But, FR and "real DH" bikes will always be in the minority. More expensive than a car pricing and places to ride 'em will sadly keep it that way.

If we could only have one lift served place in the state, Crystal would be it. But, I'd settle for Snocrummy as well. maybe they'll eventually see the light. But, they need a big push from the local DH/FR community to convince them that it still won't be the same 20 hardcores every week. And, I'm sure sales of Dh bikes won't convince them otherwise.

One of the ways I would approach gaining permanent access to trails such as 38 would be to enlist the help of other government agencies, such as cities. Knowing that the City of Snoqualmie and City of North Bend are trying to increase their revenue I would start with them. I would do this by putting together a psuedo business plan having comparisons with what has happened on the northshore in terms of how much revenue mtn. biking has generated (tourism) and the potential for the City of Snoqualmie and North Bend to get the same returns. All we would need is there political support and no money, their rate of return on their investment would be huge, all they need to do is give us their political support. They have nothing to lose we have everything to gain.

I would also research state senators and representatives that support trail access, generally those located on the east side of the mountains and start writing letters driving home several different points of view of why trails should be kept/created for DH/FR users. I suggested we contact representatives on the east side of the mountains because they are not as green and favor trail access to all instead of a select few.

My 2 cents.