Just hangin' around...on meathooks.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Strange new pastime for Florida youth baffles authorities
Reuters
Updated: 3:05 p.m. ET July 18, 2004

MIAMI - Police in the Florida Keys are mystified by a bizarre new pastime — young people dangling themselves from meat hooks on a popular sandbar.

advertisement
The Key West Citizen newspaper reported on Sunday that the Monroe County sheriff’s office and U.S. Coast Guard were called on July 12 to the sandbar off Whale Harbor in Islamorada where locals say wild behavior is becoming a tradition.

They found that five young people had erected a bamboo tripod and hung meat hooks from it. A young woman, her feet brushing the surface of the shallow water, dangled from the frame, hooks embedded firmly in her shoulders.

According to a Coast Guard video, she did not seem to mind the hooks.

Lt. Tom Brazil of the Coast Guard said a young man, who also had hooks embedded in his heavily pierced and tattooed skin, told him the group was “just enjoying the afternoon.”

There were no laws against sticking meat hooks into yourself and hanging from a tripod on a sandbar, Brazil added, according to the newspaper.

The Coast Guard passed the video on to federal justice authorities to decide if action ought to be taken.

A Coast Guard spokeswoman confirmed the report but could provide no further details. No one was available for comment at the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
That's like a flesh pulling. First let me say that I think this is really screwy, but here's what I know. People get off on the rush of getting peirced (ears, nose, blah blah), for some, this isn't good enough anymore. Some of these folks go on to try flesh pulling, which can be done one of 2 ways. The lesser way is to find a partner, both people get hooks in the shoulders and lean against each other. The other way is to get suspended by hooks. This is just a very scenic version of that.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
xbluethunderx said:
Strange new pastime for Florida youth baffles authorities
Reuters
Updated: 3:05 p.m. ET July 18, 2004
There were no laws against sticking meat hooks into yourself and hanging from a tripod on a sandbar, Brazil added, according to the newspaper.
Boy, I remember the old days, where you needed someone else to hang you on a meat hook........whatever happened to the good old days........

Attachments

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Mackie said:
Boy, I remember the old days, where you needed someone else to hang you on a meat hook........whatever happened to the good old days........

pfffffffffffffft hahahhaha

WTF is up with this, is there any picture of these clowns... :mumble:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah this is like the whole peircing thing taken to an extreme. If anyone knows anything about Sun Dancing it's basically a spiritual ceremony thats just like a right of passage, but kids hanging from meat hooks to catch a buzz really convinces me that the quality of television viewing must have sagged quite a bit. The levels of boredom for people to get to in order to think stuff up like this is astounding.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
SkaredShtles said:
:think: WHAT?!? Where the Hell do you hang out? "Nothing uncommon"?!? Jesus - if this is not uncommon, I don't know what this world is coming to........... :mumble:

-S.S.-

It is an entire subculture. You know how most people dont know anything about DH? Only the people into Downhill know what it really is. Eveyone else just looks at us and thinks "wow, those guys are crazy/stupid"

That is exactly what is going on here. Body Modification is a huge subculture that has been around for thousands of years. Tattoos date back a loooong time as do piercings. Suspension is just another higher version of piercing and tattoing. This is their way of proving mind over matter. A lot of you get your rush from flying down a mountain on a mountain bike at 40+ MPH or flying down a hill at 50+ MPH on a road bike. They get thier rush from Body Modification.

I am fairly informed about this type of thing. Body Modification interests me greatly, and I have researched it and know many people that are into it. Not as big as some of the people you will find at BMEzine.com, but in it at some level. Hell, a good majority of the people on here have piercings or tattoos, and that is a form of Body Modification. They just take it to the extreme.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BigMike said:
It is an entire subculture. You know how most people dont know anything about DH? Only the people into Downhill know what it really is. Eveyone else just looks at us and thinks "wow, those guys are crazy/stupid"<snip>
:rolleyes: But to call it "common"......... come on.

People pissing on one another I'm sure is an "entire subculture" too, but that doesn't make it common.

DH=uncommon
Hanging from Meathooks=uncommon
Having a latte at Starbucks=common
:D

-S.S.-

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
heh. i was just gonna post something similar to what mike did. that's a great site to learn about stuff like this. i wouldn't say it's "common" by a long shot. it's just not as unheard of, depending where your interests lie :D as a lot of people think.

http://www.bmezine.com allllllllll kinds of "stuff"
http://www.thelizardman.com this guy's been trandforming himself into a human lizard lol. saw an old site of his years ago when he only had a couple black tribal tats on his body.

fasinating stuff :)

oh yeah. i'm enjoyin the hell out of the oak barrel stout i'm drinking right now :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
SkaredShtles said:
:rolleyes: But to call it "common"......... come on.

People pissing on one another I'm sure is an "entire subculture" too, but that doesn't make it common.

DH=uncommon
Hanging from Meathooks=uncommon
Having a latte at Starbucks=common
:D

-S.S.-
OK, so when I said it was not uncommon, I meant not unheard of.

I find it really interesting myself.

And I dont drink Starbucks :blah:

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
I think suspension was origanally an American Indian ritual. I used to see this band play and they would have these guys suspening in the middle of the stage and they would trash him about while they rocked out. :dead: