Quantcast

Just heard a band called Ministry

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I just did a little search. Origins go way back maybe even all the way to the Dadaist movement in the late teens and '20s. I aways think its really interesting how Dadaism creeps in and affects our culture even to this day.

I'd forgotten this already but a couple of months I went the National Gallery - American Museum of Art to see a Dadaist exhibit. They had a lot of tape manipulation, avant guard, perhaps even industrial music / noise mixed in with movement. One one floor of the gallery they had 18 pianos, about a half dozen kettle drums, a bunch of air raid sirens, fire bells, all set up to play electronically. I got to see it play. It was total cacophony.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Jim Mac said:
I think Pailhead was great as well. I didn't have the album, but I did have the 'Man will Surrender' ep.
Damn straight!
This thread made me put some on. Don't Stand it Line has such a great (synthetic) drum sound.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
How can you not hear at minimum the songs "New World Order" or "Jesus Built My Hotrod", given their wide proliferation. That video of the elder Bush gyrating to the beat while grabbing his crotch has been played ad nauseum!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
you're such an old man. what music do you listen to anyway? I was being birthed when ministry was formed and I still know who they are and have heard their music before this week. For the record, I hate industrial music.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
And I found my self in love with the world, and so there was only one thing I could do, that was dinga dang dong my dinga long ling long.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That kicks so much ass.

There was a chick stripping to Ministry at the club the other night. It was sooo hot :drool:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, narlus, I listened to some of the Ein-whatever-you-said, and they sound like a KMFDM ripoff!!

:p

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
narlus said:
joseph beuys, the noted Fluxus artist, also did sound work in addition to his sculptures and paintings.
And don't forget ex-Nazi fighter pilot in that list of credentials...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
didn't know that!

there was a german exhibit @ the MFA in boston a few years ago and one of the paintings they had showing was the gerard richter one which Sonic Youth used as the cover for _Daydream Nation_

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
"in case you didn't feel like showing up", my favorite live performance recording of any band ever. can't get enough of it still to this day.

ministry rocks.

BillT

Monkey
I just saw Ministry with RevCo a couple of weekends ago - kick ass show! I actually thought RevCo sounded better (and they actually had Luc Van Acker which was a surprise) but Ministry was great and very, very loud.

If I remember correctly, Supernaut was done as a collaborative effort between Al and Trent so that may be why it sounded a bit like NIN.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
John Cage should most definitely be placed somewhere in the family tree of industrial music. He made the outlandish claim back in the late 40's early 50's that machines would one day be able to reproduce any possible sound. His albums often come with a set of instructions on how to manipulate the balance, volume and other adjustments on your preamp/reciever to obtain an entirely new mix of the recorded material, right in the privacy of your own living room!

(I think TOOL owes him something, too)

EDIT: Sympathy is a sad excuse for an album. I mean, a fake British accent? PUHLEESE!

EDIT EDIT: Onthe other hand, the Butthole Surfers rule! (or at least they did for a while)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rigidhack said:
John Cage should most definitely be placed somewhere in the family tree of industrial music. He made the outlandish claim back in the late 40's early 50's that machines would one day be able to reproduce any possible sound. His albums often come with a set of instructions on how to manipulate the balance, volume and other adjustments on your preamp/reciever to obtain an entirely new mix of the recorded material, right in the privacy of your own living room!
his work for prepared piano was definitely ground-breaking, but more what i would lump in w/ the musique concrete movement, not necessarily industrial. christian marclay is a pretty well-known (in certain circles, anyway) proponent of this method/music...he's broken lps and glued them together to create new sounds.

on the genesis of the 'industrial' name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_music#Industrial_Records

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
jdschall said:
How about Lard? Yeegads. I guess you have to be real big Jello fan to dig it. I don't know. I could never handle more than a song or two at a time.
THE POWER OF LAAAARD! love that album. (yes, i'm a jello fan). jello had a surprise cameo at the ministry gig here a year or so back; they played a couple lard tracks - great stuff.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Supernaut was first done by 1000 Homo DJs (which is an Al Jourgenson side project), although Ministry may have started playing. I remember it being on an album of Black Sabbath covers called N.I.B. .

And Mind was the peak for Ministry.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
:rofl:

There's a walking cadaver in the picture at the end of that thread. :D

Yes, the small one is Serial Midget back when Team Boy Band XC was ripping up the charts and the single-track!

*edit- some missed RM citizens in that thread: Hello Kitty, zod, dh girlie, Yossarian

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
N8 said:
Yes, the small one is Serial Midget back when Team Boy Band XC was ripping up the charts and the single-track!

*edit- some missed RM citizens in that thread: Hello Kitty, zod, dh girlie, Yossarian

you are the only person who misses hello kitty.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe I have and just didn't know. :D

Is this "proliferation" on TV or commercial radio?
You probably HAVE heard one of those songs but just didn't know who it was. They were played to death on MTV, VH1, the radio, sampled frequently, and even discussed on REGULAR TV(due to the surrounding controversy) kind of like Luther Campbell(for "As Nasty as They Wanna Be"), Public Enemy(for "By the Time I get to Arizona" video and Prof. Griff's anti-semitic comments) or the Chixie Dicks comments in Europe about Dubya. Apparently, there is something wrong with showing clips of violent civil unrest in a video ala Rage Against the Machine while a simulated Bush senior gives the ol' "blow me" to the world. :agree:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
some crazzzzyy times listening to ministry as a younger fellow...

gotta love LARD - mannngoaattttt.... classic song..

anyone remember the 'revolting cocks' ??... another minister spin off - i believe..

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
tmx said:
"in case you didn't feel like showing up", my favorite live performance recording of any band ever. can't get enough of it still to this day.

ministry rocks.
good call. great recording. that album seemed like the soundtrack to my university years in recollection... i was a big rivethead back then; front 242, frontline assembly, nitzer ebb, wumpscut, kmfdm, snog, skinny puppy, nin, download, leatherstrip, haujobb, lustmord, einsturzende neubauten, foetus... lots of fun stuff.

hi, t! :wave:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
partsbara said:
some crazzzzyy times listening to ministry as a younger fellow...

gotta love LARD - mannngoaattttt.... classic song..

anyone remember the 'revolting cocks' ??... another minister spin off - i believe..
yeah, i've got some revco in the collection. they played on this years ministry tour. (though i missed it - i wanted to go, but forgot all about the date in vancouver). coincidentally... a few weeks later, we were on holidays in montreal, and we randomly walked right by the venue ministry happened to be playing - just before the show started up. my pleas fell upon my wifes seemingly deaf ears.

BillT

Monkey
xy9ine said:
yeah, i've got some revco in the collection. they played on this years ministry tour. (though i missed it - i wanted to go, but forgot all about the date in vancouver). coincidentally... a few weeks later, we were on holidays in montreal, and we randomly walked right by the venue ministry happened to be playing - just before the show started up. my pleas fell upon my wifes seemingly deaf ears.
The show was great in Orlando. RevCo busted out some old stuff - Beers, Steers, and Queers, Attack Ships on Fire (Luc Van Acker on vocals), Stainless Steel Providers - and some new stuff that I wasn't familiar with and ended it with their cover of Rod Stewart's Do You Think I'm Sexy, which featured Luc running around in a giant penis costume.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
narlus said:
didn't know that!

there was a german exhibit @ the MFA in boston a few years ago and one of the paintings they had showing was the gerard richter one which Sonic Youth used as the cover for _Daydream Nation_
Yeah, Beuys was a fighter pilot in the Luftwaffe on the eastern front...he was shot down several times, but the last one he nearly died after his plane, in flames, crashed on the Russian steppes...he was pretty badly burned. A tribe of Tartars nursed him back to health, and they wrapped him in animal fat and felt to try and heal his burns. As I recall, they even asked him to join the tribe when he was abulatory, but he found his way back to Germany instead.

That's why all his installations have the big buckets of fat in them (usually with the thermometers sticking out...) and often pieces of felt.

When you first see the installations, they look very unemotional (und Cherman...), but once you understand the symbols, you see they're actually pretty fiercely personal. That's not to say I really like his stuff; I tend not to like things that require such inside knowledge to comprehend.

MD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MikeD said:
Yeah, Beuys was a fighter pilot in the Luftwaffe on the eastern front...he was shot down several times, but the last one he nearly died after his plane, in flames, crashed on the Russian steppes...he was pretty badly burned. A tribe of Tartars nursed him back to health, and they wrapped him in animal fat and felt to try and heal his burns. As I recall, they even asked him to join the tribe when he was abulatory, but he found his way back to Germany instead.

That's why all his installations have the big buckets of fat in them (usually with the thermometers sticking out...) and often pieces of felt.

When you first see the installations, they look very unemotional (und Cherman...), but once you understand the symbols, you see they're actually pretty fiercely personal. That's not to say I really like his stuff; I tend not to like things that require such inside knowledge to comprehend.

MD
thanks for the insight...all the yellowy blobs of fat in the installations make sense now.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Perfect timing! Haven't listened to any Ministry in a while; added them to one of my Pandora channels.

"The Angel" off of Twitch is streaming right now.