Quantcast

Just how bad is the Un-slacked Socom

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
So I got a killer deal on a Socom. I was curious just how bad it is with a standard headset and regular dropouts(which I still need to buy). OR is it well worth it to either buy the "slacker" dropouts from Powell Precision and/or an angleset. I will be running this thing with a Fox 40RC2

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
bad. real bad. You will probably not even be able to go off a curb, let alone a full on staircase. you need at least a 54 degree HA to have fun on a bicycle, and that bad boy is a full 12 degrees off!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Its not bad at all...... Remember the Socom was deisgned around riding Fontana type terrain. Its actually a pretty damn nimble bike if your running quick turns it rails niceley.

Yeah its nice to be able to make some changes and slacken it up, but you dont need to. Build it up and ride it the way it is....

rider151

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
San Diego
Not bad at all. Its a really fun bike. If your riding super steep stuff you will eventually want it slacker/lower. I never had much of an issue with the HA but dropping the bb was very noticeable....

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
Ok that's good to know. It seemed like everywhere I looked everyone complained how steep and high it was. I just wasn't sure if everyone was jumping on the "hate on the socom" bandwagon. Any rear shock recommendations?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Ok that's good to know. It seemed like everywhere I looked everyone complained how steep and high it was. I just wasn't sure if everyone was jumping on the "hate on the socom" bandwagon. Any rear shock recommendations?
Socom is a bike for special applications. So if you expect it to be a superlight, normal DH bike then I can see that your are disappointed. It is super fun in the tight and twisty stuff or on jump trails (think A-line) but also pretty capable in the faster and rougher stuff. Like a mini downhill bike with 8" of travel. :D
That said, I love my Socom! I rode mine (one of the first production runs, so 1° steeper than the later series) initially with the standard dropouts but switched to the slackers. I think this is perfect, mainly because of the lower BB height. I rarely switch back to the original dropouts, mainly when it is not so steep but with lots of rocks. This lessens pedal strikes so you can be on the gas and don't have to think when to pedal. :D
I use(d) the Fox DHX, CCDB and Evolver on the bike. Fox is not that great (not enough mid stroke compression), CCDB gives the best performance, Evolver is good for smoother trails and if you want to save weight.

If I were you I would get the slacker dropouts and would look into the CCDB, Vivid Air or Evolver depending on where and what you ride.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
90% of the people complaining about how "STEEP" a HA is have never been on a trail steep enough to warrant a slack HA. I wouldn't worry to much about it I have seen guys on 4" FS Tazer ride some of the sketchiest trails in California faster than just about anyone.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
90% of the people complaining about how "STEEP" a HA is have never been on a trail steep enough to warrant a slack HA. I wouldn't worry to much about it I have seen guys on 4" FS Tazer ride some of the sketchiest trails in California faster than just about anyone.
Pretty much!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For me the slack ha is more for fast trails then steep ones. I didn't notice head angle changes on steep tracks as much as I notice them on really fast ones. Though yeah for the typical local trails that are a bit less open it's a fun bike. I'm a big fan of slack bikes but a shorter/steeper bikes have it's place if you choose them consciously.

rider151

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
San Diego
As far as recommending a rear shock.....not a DHX. Thats really all I can say as I never ran anything else on it. I would be very curious to try an RC4 on one. I think it would probably fit the frame pretty well but thats pure speculation on my part.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I can ride a rigid with cantis down every trail at northstar, but it doesn't mean its the most fun, or the fastest. Just because somebody else is faster then mean doesn't mean that I should purposely buy less bike.

Anyway, the socom will be fine, but that logic is silly.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
the 07s are the only year with out the FRO badge correct?
They were all FRO. Mine was the 07 and it was great for everything. If you ride real steep trails it would benefit you to find some slackers, but ride it first and see how you like it.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I loved mine. Super Nimble, and I rode all sorts of terrain in it. I added the Drop outs after a year and it made a big difference. Take care of the bearings and keep an eye on the ISCG mounts and youll be fine. Its a wicked bike. Elka would be my choice for it.
Mine flew off a car on the hwy attached to a roof rack, been to countless races, trips and eventually I sold it after having a near death crash on it. Its still going strong. Get it.
The guy making the Slackers name is Vince, hes a welder at Itense and you could find him over on MTBR.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I can ride a rigid with cantis down every trail at northstar, but it doesn't mean its the most fun, or the fastest. Just because somebody else is faster then mean doesn't mean that I should purposely buy less bike.

Yup. Hate that argument too.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
the 07s are the only year with out the FRO badge correct?
Older series:
steeper HA
only 2 cable stops per side on the downtube
ISCG OLD
cable stops on top of the seatstays on the swingarm

latest production runs:
1° slacker HA
3 cable stops/side on the downtube
ISCG 05
cable stops on the downside of the seat stays of the swingarm
(some: newer style, re-greasable bearings with zerk)

note: I have seen many in-betweens, meaning they don't have all the features of the latest production but some. I think Intense implemented changes continuously. But also sometimes people pieced together older and newer parts (warranty?).

You can find out the year and month of production based on the serial number:
They consist of two letters followed by some numbers.

first letter= Intense code for model
second letter: S,M or L= size
one digit number for year, e.g. 2= 2002
one or two digit numbers for month e.g. 5= May
one to three digit number = the individual frame number

Hope this helps.

Ridge_Rider

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
East Coast
I have an older 07 Socom, I have owned it since new and I'm still loving it. I added slacker dropouts a while back and added a FOX 40, an FOX RC4 and an Angleset (-1.5) this past season and it's still an amazing bike. At 37.9 lbs it's no too shabby weight wise either.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

One word STOPWATCH. Working on doing it now over varied terrain. Although the stuff here is either very steep or very fast. Nothing flowy just choppy and rocky. Going from 64.8-62.8, 63.8 seems good so far.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
One word STOPWATCH. Working on doing it now over varied terrain. Although the stuff here is either very steep or very fast. Nothing flowy just choppy and rocky. Going from 64.8-62.8, 63.8 seems good so far.
That means you have tried 62.8 and it was worse than 63.8? Sorry my brain is not working properly right now. I was considering geting an angleset for my legend but Keith claimed that the team guys didnt like it for anything but the fastest courses (MSA)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That means you have tried 62.8 and it was worse than 63.8? Sorry my brain is not working properly right now. I was considering geting an angleset for my legend but Keith claimed that the team guys didnt like it for anything but the fastest courses (MSA)
The bike was for sure less lively with slacker cup in. I did not like it as much. But for the steeper and more HS stuff it was more stable. I just do not think my riding ability and the trails I frequent warrant that slack of a set-up.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The bike was for sure less lively with slacker cup in. I did not like it as much. But for the steeper and more HS stuff it was more stable. I just do not think my riding ability and the trails I frequent warrant that slack of a set-up.
I don't really think you have to be a super duper pro to like a slack bike. Everybody claimed the same about the sunday and then the sub 65bikes yet somehow we all benefit from the new geo. I'm an average rider and if your riding style and spots go well with such angles you could be as slow as a snail.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
My 2008 socom was super fun. I would still have it if it didn't get jacked. As it is now, I rock my 951 in the steep head angle setting and love it.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
So it really sounds like a lot of people do not like the DHX on this frame. Good to know. I almost bought one. looks like I might get a 5th real cheep and shim-stack it myself or send it to Avalanche.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
A tuned shock will always beat stock.

Regarding the dropouts, ignore the typed diarrhoea of the interwebs, and ride the bike. See what you think. Then if you feel it needs a change, then change. Asking the internet how to set up your bike is like asking your crazy uncle the family doesn't talk about how to F***.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ran a PUSHED Roco and loved it on the Socom.

I loved that bike. I used it for AM and DH shuttles and resorts. I just wish it would have taken a HammerSchmidt. One of the ISCG tabs was off a 1/4". I ran it with a front derailer, so I could get to the goods.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I love my second hand '08 socom. Sadly, I decided to buy it right before my slowest season so far, but I haven't really been any happier with a frame. It has an '10 vivid on there and it feels amazing. Maybe it's just me used to 5.5" of pushed travel, but the bike is snappy and can plow and it does everything I want.

Except, of course, it doesn't have an freakishly low top tube. How are you going to table and unturndown?

certified

Chimp
Aug 31, 2011
UK
Socoms are amazing bikes, really nice travel Ideal for tighter tracks, they are really fast on turns and berms I had mine in whistler and it was perfect. I put in HA reducers and it was really good on steep stuff.