Quantcast

Just how far will I get

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I went to visit a friend last night and ignored a gas station selling cheap gas expecting to find even cheaper gas near my friend's place.

I did not find cheaper gas/forgot to fill up. About an eighth of a tank left. On the way home, a guy in a Jetta (two model shapes ago...) pulls up behind me in a hurry so I move over let him pass and decide to let him be the cop magnet on the way home. He was moving pretty fast, so I figure all the better, I'll just get home that much faster. "Lead the way my fast and furious friend!" I thought to myself... I was quite surprised. His little Jetta was wayyyy faster getting from 120 kmh to about 150...than my Mazda3. I was embarrased...

I think we must've hit 170+ kmh at one point. (I laft a couple hundred meters between us and there was no traffic...still too fast, I know, I know...)

I as I was concentrating pretty hard on the driving, I failed to notice that my gas gauge was on the bottom of the "E" hashmark when I parked last night.

I drove to work in stop and go urban traffic (I have to due to parking complications in my area) The needle is now beyond the bottom of the E hashmark...

So, think I'll make it home? It's about a 10km drive through the city.

Don't ever let anyone tell you a Mazda3 is an efficient car. It is not.

-El Procrastinato Grande

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I played this game with my truck this week. (The gas part not the speeding part. My old truck is lucky to get over 70 mph.)

When I finally filled it up last night at the cheapest station in town, I put in 18.6 gallons. I believe that the manufacturer states that the tank holds 17.5 gallons. Wow! That's pushing it into the red.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Well, just to be on the safe side I would suggest peeing into your tank and adding some sugar (ferments the urine) and that should supplement your gasoline for a few additional miles.

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Gas gauges have a pretty sizable idiot-buffer built in, so I wouldn't worry. It'll vary from car to car, but I've driven my IS to the point where the needle rested on the stop and it only swallowed 16.5 gallons (17.5 gallon tank).
Also- that Jetta was probably a VR6. Much, much faster than a 3.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Not sure about the Mazda3, but most modern automobiles have the fuel pump inside the gas tank. The pump relies on fuel for lubrication. Letting your tank run very low/out of gas will damage a tank-mounted fuel pump. If it does not kill it outright, it will lead to it's early demise. Not a cheap repair. Typically more than $600 (in this area) on many of the vehicles I'm aware of.

Once again, not sure about the mazda or your truck, jd. Might want to consult your owner's manual.

Sorry to be a Dad and all. Just looking out, yo.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Samson said:
Gas gauges have a pretty sizable idiot-buffer built in, so I wouldn't worry.
You must remember that that Da Peach is a bigger-than-average idiot so his buffer is probably used up easily.

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
pepe said:
Faster, perhaps, but DaPeach doesn't have to flash a chick card at the movies, so it's cool.
Ha- so true. Though I wouldn't call a 3 the pinnacle of manliness, either...

:love:

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
lux said:
Not sure about the Mazda3, but most modern automobiles have the fuel pump inside the gas tank. The pump relies on fuel for lubrication. Letting your tank run very low/out of gas will damage a tank-mounted fuel pump. If it does not kill it outright, it will lead to it's early demise. Not a cheap repair. Typically more than $600 (in this area) on many of the vehicles I'm aware of.

Once again, not sure about the mazda or your truck, jd. Might want to consult your owner's manual.

So how much gas are we talking here? Depth wise. I didn't know gas was a lubricant. I knew diesel was, but didn't know about gas.

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
The gas acts as a lubricant and a coolant- but the car will shut off so quickly after the gas is gone it really isn't an issue (if it only happens a couple of times over the life of the car). Just don't go cranking the thing over once it dies... that is usually when stuff starts getting expensive.

As far as keeping the pump from starving- fully enclose the fuel pickup on the pump in gas, which varies from car to car (though usually about 1/2"-1" should do it, from what I've seen).

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Samson said:
Gas gauges have a pretty sizable idiot-buffer built in, so I wouldn't worry. It'll vary from car to car, but I've driven my IS to the point where the needle rested on the stop and it only swallowed 16.5 gallons (17.5 gallon tank).
Also- that Jetta was probably a VR6. Much, much faster than a 3.
Nope, this was a pre VR6 engine Jetta. Maybe be put one in, if that's possible, but there's no way this was one of those VR6 Jettas. Too small and boxy.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
also your injection system and fuel filter wont be too happy picking up that last little bit of fuel.
since that's where any impurities will be hanging out.

definately check or replace your fuel filter.
it may or may not need it.
but it's much cheaper than any injection system cleaning.

two mechanic buddies of mine are seeing more and more clogged injectors due to people running closer to empty with gas being priced the way it is.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
lux said:

words of wisdom.
the fuel also helps cooling the fuel pump.

1/4 full is good enough to submerge the fuel pump.

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Da Peach said:
Nope, this was a pre VR6 engine Jetta. Maybe be put one in, if that's possible, but there's no way this was one of those VR6 Jettas. Too small and boxy.
If it was 2 generations old (3rd)... it could have been factory. The first VR6 Jettas were released in '94.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Samson said:
If it was 2 generations old (3rd)... it could have been factory. The first VR6 Jettas were released in '94.
Well then, it was a VR6, which is of course way faster than my little 160 hp Mazda. It was too "fast and furiousafied" to really be able to tell. It sure was loud...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
lux said:

No problem. I don't do it very often. Usually I fill up around a 1/4 tank to avoid problems, sucking up rust, debris, water, etc from the bottom of the tank. The truck is pushing 220K miles now. I must be doing something right.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Da Peach said:
Well then, it was a VR6, which is of course way faster than my little 160 hp Mazda. It was too "fast and furiousafied" to really be able to tell. It sure was loud...
You mean you cannot tell the difference between the sound of a straight four and the sound of a V6?

I bet you have lovely taste in home furnishings.

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
fluff said:
You mean you cannot tell the difference between the sound of a straight four and the sound of a V6?

You mean you can't tell the difference between a V6 and a VR6? :rofl:

Back to the point- just drive it the 10km. It'll make you more of a man.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
fluff said:

You're lucky you're not here or I'd open a can of Feng Shui on you.

Isn't a VR6 a narrow angle V6? Or am I missing some carsarcasm here...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Oh crap, I just remebered I'm going out to lunch to catch some of the England match. I hope I make it...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hmmmm.
it's almost lunch time.

i wonder if you'll be pushing that fine piece of german engineering soon ?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
oh oh.
my bad.

he did say he was driving the mazda, and got sucked in by a fine piece of german engineering.

not to derail too much but,
how many of us have been on a road trip and have seen gas prices fall as you get farther from town.
and start thinking, "ok, maybe the next exit it'll be cheaper" as you drive just a little further on fumes.

or as prices start to fall a few cents each day, you'll think to yourself, "i'll wait till tommorrow"
then when that day comes, it shot up 20cents a gallon overnight.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I will never understand how people run out of gas in an area full of gas stations.

Is it worth the hassle to maybe save what, two bucks at most or something?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
OGRipper said:
I will never understand how people run out of gas in an area full of gas stations.

Is it worth the hassle to maybe save what, two bucks at most or something?
I live in Canada. We have to use manual pumps. Sometimes you just don't have the time...