Quantcast

Just moved from Portland to Camarillo...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
...and for 3 days, I've been living with only memory foam mattress topper, a bag of clothes and a dog. Tomorrow all my stuff gets dropped off and I cannot wait to return to living like a regular human. This minimalist life is bull****.

But for the first time ever I have a 2 car garage, which means I can work on both sides of the car without having to jockey it around in the garage. Pretty exciting news there.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I work in Camarillo and live in Ventura. Been riding around here for the better part of the last 10 years.

Camarillo is a really nice little area. Lots of churches though, but super quiet, generally good people, very low crime.

I don't ride DH anymore (well I'll take my Enduro on about anything), but I know every good spot around, and then some. You've made me Raugh Out Roud a few times on here before I think, so feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what's up.

What brings you into town anyway?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
yeah if he heads towards the Angeles Crest hwy (2) or up by Santa Barbara or Gorman
Sycamore is definitely the closest place and is really fun, Simi Valley, Agoura Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu, etc have some hidden (and not so hidden) gems. but yeah, there are some excellent trails in the locations you mention, too. Sycamore is awesome, been riding it a bit more recently while my arm heals up, rode Los Robles to portrero to sycamore a couple days ago, 45+ miles of mostly singletrack with some fireroads.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Sycamore is definitely the closest place and is really fun, Simi Valley, Agoura Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu, etc have some hidden (and not so hidden) gems. but yeah, there are some excellent trails in the locations you mention, too. Sycamore is awesome, been riding it a bit more recently while my arm heals up, rode Los Robles to portrero to sycamore a couple days ago, 45+ miles of mostly singletrack with some fireroads.
I grew up down there, I have probably forgotten more trails than I remember. I still hit Sycamore every time I drop down to visit my Sister and my Dad in Woodland hills.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks gentlemen, I briefly got out and rode up through my neighborhood today up to an old abandoned road that goes up to the top of the Santa Monica mtns. Got a ways up and I started to see alot of big cat poop so I turned back. Alone, with a blown up knee and no real solid means of protection or rescue got me to turn around.

I actually moved into the Camarillo Springs neighborhood right near the grade, nice quiet gated neighborhood and about 500% different than stumptown. I took an Art Director position with Vortech/Paxton Superchargers. I just couldnt find solid full-time work in Portland so I made the decision to look elsewhere. My special lady friend whose a microbiologist looked back in the V.C. area and LA at jobs and decided she wanted to leave portland as well since micro jobs pay very little there compared to here where the average salary was almost $10-14/hr more. She's making the trek down in 1.5 weeks.

I feel like i'm about 2-3 months away from being able to ride after the knee blow up in whistler. I can pedal alright when seated and not much at all out of the saddle.

I parted my DH bike after whistler to help cover some medical bills, but i'm gonna add a new bike to the stable later this year in preparation of a return Whistler trip.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
In early summer you must make the trek out 395 to Mammoth, Mono Lake and take the bike. there are so many outrageous places to ride [hint lower rock creek from Tom's place to Paradise by lake crowley] and earlier in the year the area around Kernville in the southern sierra rocks

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
If you are road tripping, check out Camp Nelson. It's about 3 1/2 hours away. I trade houses with a friend who lives there and it is the sh!t.

The video is not mine and it actually cuts out some of the best parts of the trail. There are lots of other trails as well.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I interviewed with Paxton a while back for engineering. One of their big competitors is in the area too FYI.

I wouldn't worry about the cats around here. Most of them in the Santa Monicas aren't big at all, especially near the coast. Usually bobcats, and the few mountain lions I've seen haven't been big enough to be a threat, just neat to actually see in the wild.

Kernville is a gem. 6" bike territory. Or a moto.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Don't worry, soon enough the 2 car will feel like a 1 car after you add moar toolz to make up the difference.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I interviewed with Paxton a while back for engineering. One of their big competitors is in the area too FYI.

I wouldn't worry about the cats around here. Most of them in the Santa Monicas aren't big at all, especially near the coast. Usually bobcats, and the few mountain lions I've seen haven't been big enough to be a threat, just neat to actually see in the wild.

Kernville is a gem. 6" bike territory. Or a moto.
Was it as strange when you went in as I did?

Good to know about the wild cats, since you dont really worry about them in the pnw.

I tried to get a co-worker to go ride Kernville once with me, never panned out. But knowing this trail isnt that far is cool. It it a loop or shuttle type trail?

and as for projects, none of those for awhile.