Quantcast

Just picked up my 1st XC bike tonight, Total Noob *pic*

MartyMcFly

Chimp
Nov 19, 2007
Its an 03 Gary Fisher Sugar 2. It has a list of upgrades that Im not too sure of, but Im anxious to get riding.

*I know the tire is flat, I go to pick up a tube tomorrow.

What do you guys think? Good purchase?

One question, I was riding it with a borrowed rim earlier and when I switched gears the chain flung in between the ring gear and frame. Is this whats known as chain suck? Also it has a spacer in between the bottom bracket and crank, is this common?

Thanks

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yes, these bikes are notorious for chainsuck. I think the problem is the ****ty chainrings. My friend had the same bike and changed the chainrings for Shimano XTs. That solved the problem.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
adjust the limit screw on the front derailure.

also you might want to replace the fork oil and lube the rear shock...

looks nice though!

i am trying to sell my xc bike cause i never ride it, hopefully yours gets the attention it deserves

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
looks like a great buy (depending on the price of course) the bike as a whole looks to be in good shape. the only thing i would say do is gt your self a god set f clipless pedals

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Nice!

I'd say that's a very god first cross country bike. I can speak for a lot of us when I say that I've done some great riding on much less.

Enjoy the ride!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sweet! My first real race bike was a Sugar... I think it must have been 2000. I remember getting chainsuck at a Big Bear race and physically not being able to get it unstuck. Some big Clydesdale racer had to help me! :)

I had a lot of fun on that my Sugar...enjoy yours too!