Quantcast

Just saw this article about TRU

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
At least the reporter and residents seem sympathetic to the guys, but I'm sure the city officials would be put in a bad position if they looked the other way after finding out about the jumps.

City demolishes BMX track on park land
Four track builders arrested

By Jeremy Schwartz

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, February 4, 2004

Eleven-year-old Antonio Rodriguez was walking through the West Bouldin Creek Greenbelt with some friends on a recent afternoon when he spotted the remains of the dirt bike track. "Dang, that's messed up!" he exclaimed as he walked through the muddy mash of snapped tree limbs and piles of dirt.

"It's been out here for years," said his friend, John Tijerina, 15. "There was no reason to do this."

Local youths had transformed this area of the South Austin park, a secluded, wooded spot just east of some train tracks, into a BMX-style bike track, complete with earthen ramps for high-flying jumps.

But city park officials called it vandalism and a safety hazard. Last week they flattened the homemade track and arrested four local residents who were caught digging holes to construct a ramp. The four men, ages 17 to 21, were charged with Class B criminal mischief, a misdemeanor punishable by six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

"We tried to explain that we were doing a good thing," said Jason Sunday, 21, a nationally recognized BMX rider. "We picked up trash and even kicked out some of the bums. . . . It's just sad. All that work for nothing."

Also arrested were Paul Eibeler, 21, Michael Wiatrowski, 19, and Chase Hawk, a 17-year-old rider who also is known around the country.

News of the demolition spread quickly this week and was chronicled on BMX Web sites.

City officials say the men dug dangerous eight-foot holes that posed an immediate safety threat, cut down trees and brush and never asked permission to build the track.

"It's against the law to destroy parkland," said Kim Jamail, a spokeswoman for the Austin Parks and Recreation Department. "It's a hazard. It's pure and simple destruction. We try to protect parkland for the greater good of all people."

Parks Police Sgt. Frank Creasey said that on Jan. 26, park police patrolling for homeless camps came upon the four men digging holes to collect dirt for building ramps. Even though riders said the track had been there for 2 1/2 years, Creasey said that day was the first time officials had seen extensive damage to the park. He said residents could have fallen in the holes, causing a liability concern for the city.

But some in the Bouldin Creek neighborhood surrounding the park say the bike track wasn't a nuisance, but rather an ingenious use of an underutilized piece of park that gave local kids something to do.

"These guys worked hard on this, and it wasn't hurting anybody," said Larry Isgur, 41. "I never saw anyone getting into any trouble. They had nice steep ramps -- they would get airborne. It was beautiful to watch."

"They were totally responsible people," said Shelly Atwood, 36. "It was just young guys out here having fun."

A similar track on Ninth Street near Lamar Boulevard, about two miles to the north, has been sanctioned by city officials and has operated for more than a decade. Creasey said riders there don't dig holes -- instead, they truck in dirt for the ramps -- and have a liability agreement with the city.

"It's not a BMX issue," Creasey said. "It's about destruction of parkland . . . and safety concerns."

Jamail said the city has many examples of residents encroaching on park land, ranging from gardens and lawns that extend into public space to the illegal bike track.

"It's something we battle almost every day," she said. "It's not their land; it's the people's land."

If Sunday and his fellow riders want to rebuild their track, they will have to work out an agreement with the city and follow the process that comes with building on parks and near creeks, Creasey said.

On Tuesday, Sunday was still thinking of the past.

"I almost wanted to cry," he said. "It's part of my life. It's sad."

jschwartz@statesman.com; 445-3616

igotabike

Chimp
Nov 8, 2003
atx
first of all thats not tru. that is a totally different place. theres only been a few 26 inch riders at sundays trails. theres only been a few 20 inch riders at tru. for those of you that dont know, im refering to wheel size not frame size. they are 2 totally different things

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
There's no need to get cranky. A lot of us are concerned about these issues and because we don't live or ride in the Austin area we don't get the up to date insider view of the situation.

Hopefully the guys can get off with community service or something like that.

We had an "illegal" trailwork party here in Houston about a year ago and had the Environmental Crimes Unit come down on us with video cameras and K9. Fortunately they busted us before we started working so they couldn't charge us with anything.

J

JRB

Originally posted by Big E
all of you should just move here to El Paso and come build on private lan with us. you wont get in trouble or charged or anything. just make sure you pitch in with some beer.
www.roughriderracing.org

Peace
That's cool except you have to live in El Paso. :rolleyes:

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
I've been communicating with a man who lives in the Bouldin Creek neighborhood and is actively involved in the neighborhood association. They had a meeting with the city, and everyone agreed on two things. First, they agreed that they wanted the charges against the guys dropped. Second, they want the guys to use legal channels to get the jumps rebuilt in the same park. I'm scheduled to meet the man at the park to assess it for sustainability tomorrow.

THOR12STONE

Chimp
Dec 7, 2003
dallas, TX
I do believe that the charges were a bit much....but a city will always apply the "cya" tatic...

I do support the idea of using legal channels to build a more permant area for riding.

hope all works out for those guys...

peace

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Originally posted by THOR12STONE
I do support the idea of using legal channels to build a more permant area for riding.

hope all works out for those guys...

I was in a meeting with Jason Sunday and three other BMXers (Sorry, I don't remember their names), the City of Austin, Parks Po;lice and their chief, and the neighborhood association. The city going to allow a permit to be issue to build jumps somewhere in the park. They're even letting the guys indiacte on an overhead photo of the park where they want the jumps. The flood plain is indicated, so they know where NOT to put them. The city also plans to bring in dirt that the guys approve, that has enough clay and moisture. The city is also building a bridge over the creek to better access the park.

The guys have three weeks to come up with a site and report back to the city. If the site is approved, then the building could start as soon as 30 days later.

Dewayne

THOR12STONE

Chimp
Dec 7, 2003
dallas, TX
I work for the city of Dallas (firefighter)...I just wish dallas could use Austin as a model to approach the cycling community. ...

Congrats guys on the new site, and I am Glad you have some city officials with some common sense.

DHTRAVELER

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
TEXAS
where is this park? I live in the DFW area but would love to come down to ride a park like that. We have some stuff up here, but this park, with the cities support, sounds like its going to be really, really good. Where does it stand now?

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Originally posted by RaceFace2040
well sundays trails still havnt been built back up or anything, but the 9the street jumps are pretty much the same thing with more options and skill levels
Those jumps in Bouldin Creek Greenbelt won't be built back up until Jason picks where he wants the jumps (eaxactly) and gives the city the map they gave him with the jumps marked. Then they'll issue a permit, bring in Jason approved dirt, and then Jason and gang can begin building.

igotabike

Chimp
Nov 8, 2003
atx
those are the nicest dj's i have ever seen! too bad i live about 2 blocks away....jk. too bad i dont ride 20". now everybody in the WORLD has something to aspire to. if you have pics of better jumps i dare you to post them.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
The location of the jumps in Bouldin Creek Greenbelt has been decided. Now the plan will be submitted to the city parks planning committee for approval. If all goes well, the dirt wil be delivered and construction will start in late May. The county, who has custody of the case against Jason Sunday and the other three, wants to remand it back to the city. If the city gets it, the charges will be decreased to 3rd degree misdemeanors from what I understand, which will be rate community service. In this case, the punishment will be building the new jumps, which the BMXers should build anyway and not the city b/c the city doesn't know how to do it.