Quantcast

Just scored almost impossible dinner reservations for Julie's 40th B-day!!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I placed my name on the waiting list a few months back at the French Laundry restaurant in the Napa area. I'm so stoked I got the call today say they had a cancellation and did I want it. It's only like $175 a person:dead: But its a 9 course meal and supposed to be one of the finest restaurants in the nation.

Here's the link http://www.frenchlaundry.com/

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
I placed my name on the waiting list a few months back at the French Laundry restaurant in the Napa area. I'm so stoked I got the call today say they had a cancellation and did I want it. It's only like $175 a person:dead: But its a 9 course meal and supposed to be one of the finest restaurants in the nation.

Jeebus! $400 for a dinner for 2?

:eek:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You should tell her several times how beautiful she is for a 40 yo lady and how impressed you are with how active she is. Women love compliments.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
LordOpie said:
You should tell her several times how beautiful she is for a 40 yo lady and how impressed you are with how active she is. Women love compliments.

His wife IS really pretty...and she does not look anywhere near 40. Brian looks closer to 40 than Julie! Just kidding, brian...didn't y'all go there last year? Isn't there like a 6 month waiting list to get in that place?

The presentation of that meal will be outrageous...be sure to take pictures of each and every course! :D

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Like wonderful Moe Syzlak, ask for their finest meal stuffed with their second finest meal. Hopefully you'll get Lobsters, stuffed with tacos.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Brian HCM#1 said:

Whoa! A 19% service charge will be added to each check. :eek: And that $175pp does *not* include wine, correct? :dead:

I'll bet it's a KILLER meal, though. :thumb:

-S.S.-

congrts!!!!! my parents live in yountville, and i lived with them for about 7 months after i graduated from school, that place is almost impossible to get into. have to make reservations three months to the day that you want them, and they are booked by 11 in the monring, and they wont take reservations for later days, only three months to that day later.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've been trying to get through to the place for the last year, the phone IS ALWAYS busy. I sat at my desk on a saturday afternoon a few months back and kept hitting redial. Finally got through and tried to get that day but they were booked, tried for the following weekend but they were booked. So they asked if I wanted to get on the waiting list if theres a cancelation so I did. I also made reservations at a resturant in SF we love called Gary Denko's, but we usally eat there a few times a year. Anyways I got a call on my cell phone this afternoon, and jumped all over it. Julie is so excited!!!!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My fiance works at a new restaurant that some are already comparing to French Laundry:

http://www.cyrusrestaurant.com

They've been open two weeks and already the waiting list is three months.

Sorry, no tacos.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Brian HCM#1 said:
I've been trying to get through to the place for the last year, the phone IS ALWAYS busy. I sat at my desk on a saturday afternoon a few months back and kept hitting redial. Finally got through and tried to get that day but they were booked, tried for the following weekend but they were booked. So they asked if I wanted to get on the waiting list if theres a cancelation so I did. I also made reservations at a resturant in SF we love called Gary Denko's, but we usally eat there a few times a year. Anyways I got a call on my cell phone this afternoon, and jumped all over it. Julie is so excited!!!!!
Cyrus is the new place owned by the guy from Gary Denko's

Brian HCM#1 said:
yeah you definetly deserve a congrats on just getting that reservation.....hope you are ready for a 4 hour dinner too

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
H8R said:
Cyrus is the new place owned by the guy from Gary Denko's
I remember him he was the Maître d’ at GD & The Dining Room @ the Ritz Hotel, thats where Gary Denko is from too. We'll have to try that when the smoke from my wallet clears.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
dh girlie said:
Yeah, Brian...it's called FRENCH Laundry...French=prepare to stop at the drive thru on the way home! :D
Not the meals that I ate in France.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!, i´d like to learn all the marketing behind the courtains to create such a demand for a dinner...... with all that 3 month waiting list and stuff...
and specially keeping the demand steady over more than a couple months...

i´d get rich in no time importing that technique from the US!!!!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ALEXIS_DH said:
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!, i´d like to learn all the marketing behind the courtains to create such a demand for a dinner...... with all that 3 month waiting list and stuff...
and specially keeping the demand steady over more than a couple months...

i´d get rich in no time importing that technique from the US!!!!!
It's the food, the wine, and the level of service. A very, very nice room helps.

My fiance has been training for this job for like, two months straight - including hours and hours of research just for the wine list. (30 pages long)

It's been a mental workout for her, and she has been working fine dining for more than 10 years. The focus and detail of the service at a restaurant like this is insane.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
small portions or not, 9 courses is a lot. i had a 4 course meal at a fancy french place in austin, and was content. one course was a super rich soup, and that really filled me up.

but anyway, do you get to have a polaroid taken so that you remember the $350 you just dropped on dinner?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Dude, what the big deal about eating at a laundry? Do you get a discount on the dryers if you buy dinner?

When I lived in New Orleans, I ate at most of the pish-posh restaurants, with the notable exception of Antoine's. It was probably a wasted experience on me, considering I usually went with co-workers, rarely with friends and family. On the other hand, I never had to pay, so that was a plus.

The only notable experience was the day I received my severance check. I met up with some ex-co-workers for a drink, who were also laid off. I received a 3 month check, which was a five figure number. My ex's received a full year, and they probably made at least twice as much as I did, so they could have easily gotten 6 figures. We went to the Upperline, as pish-poshy as it comes, and I spent $125 on dinner.

On the other hand, the farewell luncheon rang up to $1700 for 11 people at Dickie Brennan's....

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
well, Happy b-day Julie enjoy Your fine meal!!!!!!!!
I do have to admit with all this talk of how beautiful you are I'd love to see a picture

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
H8R said:
It's the food, the wine, and the level of service. A very, very nice room helps.

My fiance has been training for this job for like, two months straight - including hours and hours of research just for the wine list. (30 pages long)

It's been a mental workout for her, and she has been working fine dining for more than 10 years. The focus and detail of the service at a restaurant like this is insane.
It's a lot of work being a waitrss/waiter at a posh resturant, but on the flip side the $ in tips is VERY good:thumb: When we eat at Gary Denko's we usally ask for our same waitress, we've known her since she worked at the Dinning Room @ the Ritz, about 7 or 8 years now.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
McGRP01 said:
My birthday is on the 5th. Go Sox!! ;)
No go A's!!!!!!! However now they got rid of their 2 best starting pitchers it ain't gonna be a fun season :help: However that Yankee/Sox playoff series was the best I've ever seen.............well almost. I did enjoy the 2 A's sweeps over the Sox in 1988 & 1990 playoffs:D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Brian HCM#1 said:
No go A's!!!!!!! However now they got rid of their 2 best starting pitchers it ain't gonna be a fun season :help: However that Yankee/Sox playoff series was the best I've ever seen.............well almost. I did enjoy the 2 A's sweeps over the Sox in 1988 & 1990 playoffs:D
From what I hear, the three young guys the A's have added to the rotation this off season all are potential aces.