Quantcast

Just scored almost impossible dinner reservations for Julie's 40th B-day!!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I Are Baboon said:
From what I hear, the three young guys the A's have added to the rotation this off season all are potential aces.
We'll see, their bullpen was the weak link last year. Billy Beane is probably THE BEST GM in all of baseball, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

J

JRB

Brian HCM#1 said:
Her B-Day is April 3rd, scored the dinner on the 2nd:thumb:
Well, we will have a thread then. I am doing a road ride on the 2nd for the Salado VFD, where a friend lives, so I will be able to remember.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sweet, have fun brian, and let us know what wine you end up going w/ .

after looking at the menus, i'd go w/ the 1st one, but the veggie one sounds damn good too.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's not a very good pic of her.
very nice very nice.. Happy birthday !!!!!!!

Enjoy your meal. money is only money so go out enjoy the evening cause I'm syure both of you are worth it!!!!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wow, that is AMAZING! a 6 month waiting list for a $175 per person meal?!

Do they have people under the table "pleasuring" you the whole time?

I mean, good food is good food, but....... the most i've ever spent on dinner for two was $79, and I thought THAT was a lot!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BigMike said:
the most i've ever spent on dinner for two was $79, and I thought THAT was a lot!
i can't seem to get below that figure on average dinners out w/ my wife (after tip), esp if we get a bottle of vino. last night's bill was just over $100 (but totally delicious...confit of rabbit w/ herbed gnocchis, she had butternut squash risotto w/ great hill bleu cheese, and we got a side of sauteed spinach. the bottle of la crema pinot noir was ok but not great).

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
narlus said:
i can't seem to get below that figure on average dinners out w/ my wife (after tip), esp if we get a bottle of vino. last night's bill was just over $100 (but totally delicious...confit of rabbit w/ herbed gnocchis, she had butternut squash risotto w/ great hill bleu cheese, and we got a side of sauteed spinach. the bottle of la crema pinot noir was ok but not great).

Well, that was with no drinks.

But still..... I usually spend like.... 30-50 when we go out. Guess I'm just a cheap bastard, but I love me some TGI Fridays :D

Next month I be Taking my girlfriend here......but dont tell her!

http://www.acaciarestaurant.com/

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
tgi fridays (and all franchises) here is kinda expensive when compared to other restaurants.. most of the bill covers the franchise cost... i actually rather eat in locally owned restaurant, where i can get a fine meal for the price of a franchised meal....
for the price of 3 mcdonald meals here, i can eat chateaubriand in a locally owned restaurant...

when i feel "fancy" and want to eat surrounded by old farts i go here

http://www.larosanautica.com/rn_homeing.html

usually gf and i bill runs for around 50 bucks..... and on weekends, a seafood grill for 2 for less than 30 bucks... yummy yummy.
and to think a meal not nearly 1/10th good in the states run me the same 20 bucks....

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BigMike said:
But still..... I usually spend like.... 30-50 when we go out. Guess I'm just a cheap bastard, but I love me some TGI Fridays :D
Oh man, Brian is taking his wife out for fine dining and you are bringing up Friday's. That's like someone here posting about their new fully loaded Intense Spyder, then you saying you're fine with your Huffy. :dead:

:p

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MMcG said:
One of the menu items is macaroni and cheese - that better be the most amazing mac and cheese ever made anywhere in the entire world! ;)
Hold on........ my wife makes that. :think: It has nutmeg in it along with other crazy stuff and is a *pain* to make. But holy $hit is it good mac & cheese. :thumb:

-S.S.-

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We have a cool new place in downtown Santa Rosa called Flavor, and they have the best pork chops in I have ever had - $13.

Medallions of beef w/ creamed garlic potatoes and braised greens: $14

The wine list rocks, the food rocks, and the coffee is amazing.

We get out of there for $50 or less, easy. Why so cheap? For one, they don't use linens. (no tablecloth, paper napkins) My girl says that basic linens cost a restaurant over $250,000 a year, minimum.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if any of you monkeys hit boston and want my top pick for great food for low $, definitely go to the franklin. it's small and they don't take reservations, but it's great.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
if any of you monkeys hit boston and want my top pick for great food for low $, definitely go to the franklin. it's small and they don't take reservations, but it's great.
Where is it located?

And thanks again Narlus - you are a great Monkey.

Mark

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's on shawmut ave, in the south end (NB: "south end" is NOT the same as "south boston"). there's not really a sign, just look for the martini glass sculpture thing. one of the owners, mo mcglaughlin, used to bartend @ anchovies which was about 150' from our condo and was our fave local haunt. great calzones.

edit -

http://www.franklincafe.com/

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Great eats don't have to go hand in hand with a stuffed shirt kinda joint. Prob one of the best eating experiences I've had was at Batali's: Babbo NYC. Relaxed atm. Funky music. Everyone was happy and had a lot of fun.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
ROCKLAND said:
Great eats don't have to go hand in hand with a stuffed shirt kinda joint. Prob one of the best eating experiences I've had was at Batali's: Babbo NYC. Relaxed atm. Funky music. Everyone was happy and had a lot of fun.
Absolutely! From an all around "experience" aspect, the food/wine/service is probably 70% - the rest is the company and the conversation.... IMHO.

-S.S.-

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I agree with the above post. Some of my favorite meals have been at laid back, informal places. Anyone own the book Road Food? Living in a college town, I think have access to some good cheap eats, offset by some very overpriced (for what you get) "nice" restaraunts.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
narlus said:
it's on shawmut ave, in the south end (NB: "south end" is the same as "south boston"). there's not really a sign, just look for the martini glass sculpture thing. one of the owners, mo mcglaughlin, used to bartend @ anchovies which was about 150' from our condo and was our fave local haunt. great calzones.

edit -

http://www.franklincafe.com/
Dude, when I finally make it back to Boston, you'll be getting a PM asking for your personal recommendations. Nothing beats local knowledge for sniffing out good eats.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
any monkeys are welcome if they make it to these neck of the woods. just be forewarned that i moved out of boston in '96, had my first kid in '00, and was out of the country for the better part of '03-'04, so the restaurants have evolved since i had freer reign of time and $. but a lot of the good ones are still there (and SS has a free coupon redeemable for one bottle from my wine fridge).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
would you prefer the Petrus or the Le Pin?

time to wake up.

i should note that the coupon doesn't extend to my barolos, or my '95 ch. leoville-barton.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
would you prefer the Petrus or the Le Pin?

time to wake up.

i should note that the coupon doesn't extend to my barolos, or my '95 ch. leoville-barton.
Hahahahahaha! But of course....... if I ever have the opportunity to cash in said coupon, I will allow *you* to select the bottle. :thumb:

-S.S.-

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMcG said:
One of the menu items is macaroni and cheese - that better be the most amazing mac and cheese ever made anywhere in the entire world! ;)
Looks like they are rated very good.

AWARDS AND ACCOLADES

• 2004-2003, "Best Restaurant in the World," Restaurant Magazine

• 2004-1999, Five-Star Award, Mobil Travel Guide

• 2003, "Outstanding Service Award," James Beard Foundation

• 2003-1998, Voted #1 - Top Food, Zagat Guide to the Bay Area

• 2002 Awarded the top honor of World Master of Culinary Arts 2001,
a 1st annual award given by Wedgewood

• 2001, "America's Best Chef," Time Magazine

• 2001, Outstanding Wine Service Award, James Beard Foundation

• 2000, "Favorite Restaurant in the U.S.," Food & Wine Restaurant Experts' Poll

• 2000, Inducted into "Who's Who in Food & Beverage," James Beard Foundation

• 2000, "Top Restaurant for Food," Wine Spectator

• 1999, Fine Dining Hall of Fame, Nation's Restaurant News

#8226; 1998, "Chef of the Year," Bon Appétit Magazine

• 1999-1997, Voted #1 - "America's Top Tables - Northern California Wine Country," Gourmet Magazine

• 1998 Awards, "Best Pastry Chef," "Best Graphics," James Beard Foundation

• 1998, "Best Restaurants in America," Playboy Magazine

• 1998-1996, "Best Meal," USA Today

• 1997 Award, "Outstanding Chef: America," James Beard Foundation

• 1997-1998 Spokesperson, California Milk Advisory Board

• 1997 "Best Chef," San Francisco Focus

• 1997 DiRoNa Award, Distinguished Restaurants of North America

• 1997 Robert Mondavi Culinary Award of Excellence

• 1996 "Best American Chef: California," James Beard Foundation

• 1996 Ivy Award, Restaurants & Institutions

• 1995 Nominee, "Best Newcomer," "Best Restaurant: California," James Beard Foundation

• "Best New Restaurant of 1994," Esquire

• "Best Newcomer," San Francisco Focus

• "The Country's Best Restaurants," Wine Spectator