Quantcast

Just sit right backand you'll hear a tale...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A tale of a crappy ride.

Decided to do my first road ride now that I'm in Colorado, just to see how out of shape I am (and because my 575 is currently mauled and not rideable). I was planning on riding the 25 miles to Golden, just for kicks. Given that I had no idea where I was going I was following the direction from Google maps, as they highlight all of the bike trails.

About a mile in, the map told me to take a dirt bike path. The path is about 12 feet wide and smooth, so I figured there was no issue. It was headed in the direction I wanted to go, so I kept going. Then after about another 3 miles, I noticed that it was very slowly changing direction and realized I was about 2 miles south of the bike trail I wanted to be on.

A lady walking on the trail was nice enough to tell me where I was and that I could cut across the dam (I was riding around a lake) to my target trail. She said that I needed to look for the path to the left where everybody crosses the railroad tracks. I started riding back and while looking to the left for the trail, I didn't see the 4" log laid across part of the path. After nearly going otb at speed, thank the FSM for mtb reaction skills, I found the path I wanted.

I crossed the tracks and about 100yds in, the back got loose and I realized I had a flat. I changed the tube and confirmed what I expected, which was a snakebite. While pumping the tube, it started hissing badly.When I took the pump off, the valve stem decided to eject itself into my glasses. Once again, thank the FSM that I had my glasses on.

At this point, I had gone through two tubes and was 5 miles from both home and the nearest shop. Wifey is still in California and I don't know anybody that lives near there, so I decided to just start walking back. I got about 100yds when I realized that walking home in my roadie shoes would make tomorrow miserable. I decided to clip my shoes in and walk in my socks back to the house. Thankfully I have been training in barefoot shoes, because I was able to run the first 2 miles in just my socks. That was about the same time that all of the air in the front leaked out too. Given that I could do nothing about it, I just kept going. Unfortunately the remaining three miles were on gravel path and pavement, so I was stuck walking. It took me about 1.5 hours to get back and my nice smartwool socks are now in the trash with massive holes. I also have massive blisters on the balls of both feet.

Summary: I got lost, almost went otb, three flats, had to walk 5 miles home while barefoot, trashed my smartwool socks, and have massive blisters on my feet. It sucked. I now have two of my two bikes that are too busted to ride. Yeah...

/rant

tingers

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
I did the same thing this summer on a MTB ride this last summer. What I learned on my 5 mile walk back to my car was to carry lots of extra PATCHES.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
And you didn't get ahold of me why?? I only have my road bike now so if you want to get a lay of the land via road, let me know man. I have 2 weeks before my winter photo season officially starts.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Need new tires. The sidewalls broke down really bad during the walk.

Rufus - let's try to ride next weekend. One of my bikes should be functional by then, but hopefully both.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You coulda called me. I'd have come and given you a ride. I likely would have laughed at you a lot for getting lost on the C470 trail. :D

Sounds like you turned off on the Highline Canal... did Google Maps REALLY tell you to get off on the Highline Canal? :confused:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You coulda called me. I'd have come and given you a ride. I likely would have laughed at you a lot for getting lost on the C470 trail. :D

Sounds like you turned off on the Highline Canal... did Google Maps REALLY tell you to get off on the Highline Canal? :confused:
I figured you'd be with the kids. And yes, it did tell me to take Highline. Unfortnately the turn to the Mary something or another path was not exactly clearly marked.

nick - I'm aware of this now.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I just remembered you tore the hell out of your sidewall at DC last week too.
Two rides, on two different bikes, equals four flats.

Ouch.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
A tale of a crappy ride.

Decided to do my first road ride now that I'm in Colorado

/rant
MISTAKE #1 Doing a road ride!! ;)

So instead of the usual JRA (Just Riding Along) mechanical we usually hear about, you had an actual JWA (Just Walking Along) one? That is a new record I would imagine. Was it an actual "snake bite" where some little fella jumped up and BIT your tire?

Oh.. hope that aside from all this things are going well out there!

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
A tale of a crappy ride.

Decided to do my first road ride now that I'm in Colorado, just to see how out of shape I am (and because my 575 is currently mauled and not rideable). I was planning on riding the 25 miles to Golden, just for kicks. Given that I had no idea where I was going I was following the direction from Google maps, as they highlight all of the bike trails.

About a mile in, the map told me to take a dirt bike path. The path is about 12 feet wide and smooth, so I figured there was no issue. It was headed in the direction I wanted to go, so I kept going. Then after about another 3 miles, I noticed that it was very slowly changing direction and realized I was about 2 miles south of the bike trail I wanted to be on.

A lady walking on the trail was nice enough to tell me where I was and that I could cut across the dam (I was riding around a lake) to my target trail. She said that I needed to look for the path to the left where everybody crosses the railroad tracks. I started riding back and while looking to the left for the trail, I didn't see the 4" log laid across part of the path. After nearly going otb at speed, thank the FSM for mtb reaction skills, I found the path I wanted.

I crossed the tracks and about 100yds in, the back got loose and I realized I had a flat. I changed the tube and confirmed what I expected, which was a snakebite. While pumping the tube, it started hissing badly.When I took the pump off, the valve stem decided to eject itself into my glasses. Once again, thank the FSM that I had my glasses on.

At this point, I had gone through two tubes and was 5 miles from both home and the nearest shop. Wifey is still in California and I don't know anybody that lives near there, so I decided to just start walking back. I got about 100yds when I realized that walking home in my roadie shoes would make tomorrow miserable. I decided to clip my shoes in and walk in my socks back to the house. Thankfully I have been training in barefoot shoes, because I was able to run the first 2 miles in just my socks. That was about the same time that all of the air in the front leaked out too. Given that I could do nothing about it, I just kept going. Unfortunately the remaining three miles were on gravel path and pavement, so I was stuck walking. It took me about 1.5 hours to get back and my nice smartwool socks are now in the trash with massive holes. I also have massive blisters on the balls of both feet.

Summary: I got lost, almost went otb, three flats, had to walk 5 miles home while barefoot, trashed my smartwool socks, and have massive blisters on my feet. It sucked. I now have two of my two bikes that are too busted to ride. Yeah...

/rant
OOoo!!! OOOo!!! It's my turn to use this!!! tl;dr

Damn that was fun! :rofl: :blah:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There is a common variable in all these mishaps.
The night ride was entirely SS's fault. Cooking my brakes was my fault in not having the right equipment, but it turned out well, so no complaints there.

I guess the common variable is not being overly prepared. But who carries three tubes and six CO2 canisters with them on a road ride?