Quantcast

Just some pics

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i couldn't find a "pics" thread in this forum so i just thought i'd throw these two out there. yesterday at 4th of july park in Kernersville, NC.

the man-child switching from the big bike to the little haro and working on his half-pipe skills

and he can actually take some decent pics now so there is proof that i really do ride sometimes.
a 'nothing special' transfer into the half-pipe

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
so he's going to be a pro rider and photog....thats just sic

but really your kids awesome. those ramps look sweet too, what are they made of?

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
That terrible ramp tech portable stuff. Composite plastic of somesort. It must be nice to be allowed in public skate park without getting harassed and dealing with the cops. (not their fault, only city council's who will refuse to give us anywhere to ride)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
yeah, it's made out of some kind of rubber/plastic. pretty smooth for skaters but doesn't allow bike tires to slide like i'm used to at indoor parks. can't complain, free during the week and only $5 on the weekends, although, the bike time to skate times ratio is very unequal. it's kind of a beginner style park but at leas they let us ride it.
rumor has it that there is a new concrete park being built nearby that will be open to everyone :clapping:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
there was a park not near as nice as that one in Gastonia. The locals thrashed and vandalized it and they shut it down. was never open to bikes anyhow so no loss...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
great pics! Damn, your son is a ripper. I would love to see how he would do on a lighter 16" - I think those Haro's weigh in close to the 30# mark.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i haven't looked around much for anything lighter. his 20" specialized is a tad lighter than the haro. i too would love to see him on something lighter and with a shorter wheelbase...but he's so small for his age, heck, he just broke the 40lb mark ;)
his 20" is built more for trails/dh/dj's but i almost think he could ride some of the skatepark stuff better on it because it's lighter.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ha yeah, i was experimenting with different angles, but if you look at the trees it's only about 20 degrees off so it's still pretty vert ;) every other angle on that ramp looked stupid

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Hey Manimal, have you ever seen this post:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178143

It was a rebuild on a Haro 16" I bought off of ebay. IIRC, it ended up around 21#. The frame itself is close to 6 and if I was to do it again, I would have ground down the dropouts a bunch. That, some lighter tires and some alloy expert bars (like FMF or Crupi) would have out it under the 20# mark for sure.

Another option for you son could be the RedLine PitBoss. I think it's close to 15# stock and is on the shorter side for a 16". My daughter has one (used to be my son's) and it's a nice little bike.

BTW, that 2nd shot is dope!

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My daughter has the 2007 Redline pitboss.

I haven't weighed it, but I'd reckon it is easily under 15lb. feels about 1/2 the weight of her old steel 16" wheel MTB. an amazing wee bike, especially for how cheap it was.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It was somewhere around the £150 mark. (I'm in the UK) not sure what you pay for kids bikes in the US but over here that's pretty cheap.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Manimal - I think the PitBoss's retail for $275. That one on eBay isn't that much different than a new one. And from what I've seen they seem to hold their value pretty well.