Quantcast

Just splurged on a new Fly fishing set up

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, that's a rig that should do alright with those kinda fish. Didn't know people do fly for Striper.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Last time I went down for stripers I took a 10 weight spey with a tibor reel for the drag and still got spooled a couple times on the Mokelumne under the Thorton/Franklin bridge just up river from the I5 bridge fishing the water convergence seams up river from wimpys. I was using 6 inch streamers and each fight was a 10min + ordeal. I dont think I landed a striper under 15lbs anytime I went out.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Here is my fav striper spot btw, fishes best when there is a muddy water seam dividing the confluence of the consumnes and moke, anchor up high in the confluence and swing your fly into the dirty water seam and hang on! They sit about 9 feet deep in the dirty and pounce on anything that comes close. If you are tying your own streamers use as much UV material as possible, makes a huge difference, Clauser styles up to 6", deceivers and circus peanuts are great if the sun is out. If it is overcast anything black with red chenile is tits. use heavy leaded jig eyes in order to get the streamer down low as the current can get a bit quick so you want you streamer to drop pretty quick.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here is my fav striper spot btw, fishes best when there is a muddy water seam dividing the confluence of the consumnes and moke, anchor up high in the confluence and swing your fly into the dirty water seam and hang on! They sit about 9 feet deep in the dirty and pounce on anything that comes close. If you are tying your own streamers use as much UV material as possible, makes a huge difference, Clauser styles up to 6", deceivers and circus peanuts are great if the sun is out. If it is overcast anything black with red chenile is tits. use heavy leaded jig eyes in order to get the streamer down low as the current can get a bit quick so you want you streamer to drop pretty quick.

Damn, that's way upstream to where we used to fish, but we were on a boat and generally either trolling or just anchored. The stripers were usually not very big, if they were 5lbs that would be good, bigger was rare.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Damn, that's way upstream to where we used to fish, but we were on a boat and generally either trolling or just anchored. The stripers were usually not very big, if they were 5lbs that would be good, bigger was rare.
All of the best spots I have found on the sac/delta have been fairly skinny water since the stripers can hit predatory shallows. I have never really done that well in the bigger channels and wider spots for bigger fish.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All of the best spots I have found on the sac/delta have been fairly skinny water since the stripers can hit predatory shallows. I have never really done that well in the bigger channels and wider spots for bigger fish.
Much of the time, specially the later years I was there with my family, we were targeting the bigger channels for sturgeon....and quite successful at it. You could always count on some catfish action in the brackish backwater stuff though if you were willing to go upstream (and nothing else was happening).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

very cool I can put in less than a half mile from there in my kayak using the kayak launch at the Cosumnes river preserve

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
It arrived. I did a few casts from out in the street. This thing is a beast. First thing I noticed is that it's perfectly balanced at my index finger grip point. Secondly there is a lot of mass moving. But most impressive was being able to do 25-30 yard accurate casts with ease. I am going to have fun with this set up.
IMG_20211203_201435147~2.jpg