Quantcast

Just started back - time limits riding frequency - suggestions for a new bike?

Old_Dude

Monkey
Hello folks,

After several years without mountain biking I recently obtained a new bike and I'm getting back into it. On the trails I ask myself "Why did I ever quit doing this?". This is so very much fun - wow, it's great to be back.

Back in '87 I bought my first mountain bike - a Diamondback Ascent EX. I put in a nice bottom bracket and spent many hours on this thing. Back then we had no idea we were riding heavy, unsophistocated machines, and believe it or not, we still managed to have a great time.

I adapted this "cheap & heavy" philosophy to my recent mountain bike purchase - a Trek 4500. Yeah, I realize it's a piece of crap next to all the other bikes, and yeah, I could've paid cash for any bike in the store, but I bought this bike for a good reason - I wanted to see if my mountain bike desire would rekindle and if so, where should I go from here. I've been burned so many times with impulse decisions - I wanted time to find out what was going on in the "new" world of mountain bikes.

After riding for a couple of months, I discovered two things: #1 - I still have a strong love & desire for mountain biking, and #2, I don't live near any decent trails.

My greatest challenge is finding the time to commute to the trails. Yeah, there are tons of great places to ride, but none of them are close by. I live in Atlanta and I've been riding Blanket's Creek, Sope Creek and Bear Mountain & another place in Ellijay. I wish I lived closer to some long and scenic trails. To go to north GA takes about an hour and twenty minutes each way. This is a lot of time when you have a wife & kids, dogs, and you own & manage a small business.

I didn't realize when I bought the bike that the time factor is so limiting - that I have to travel so far in the car just to ride trails. I discovered I'll have to ride less often than I'd like because of this. I also suspect this is the main reason why so many more people either don't get involved in this sport or get out of it quickly.

I'm determined to overcome the distance factor - if I left at 5:00 a.m. I'd get there by daylight and I could ride for two hours and be back home by 10:00 and at my office by 10:30 (being the boss does have advantages). Night riding seems dangerous to me, but then, it beats not riding at all - maybe with another rider it would be safer?

Regardless of my time limitations, I have my eye fixed on a Trek 8500 wo/disc's. As a runner for many years, I think with some practice, it would be a total hoot to enter races - just for fun. Would anyone recommend another bike in this price range? I'm thinking hard tail cross country riding for around $1,500, or so.

BTW - I already get a lot of satisfaction passing younger riders on their light & pricey bikes - when they see an old guy on a cheap bike passing them it . . . well, it just makes my day. I wonder if the "humiliation factor" will be the same if I get a decent bike?

Thanks.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Damn Old Dude, you sound just like me, right down to living in the ATL, with exception to being able to get to the office at 10:30 and the old part. Welcome to RideMonkey, maybe we can hook up for a ride. You should try Yellow River, Chicopee Woods & Gainesville College.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
If both of you live in Atlanta, I would try going over to Yellow Creek. It is in Stone mountain. It is not huge, but it is a nice ride. There are trails on both sides of the road with a nice veriety to choose from.
I went down to Atlanta in the spring time for a week of mountain biking(needed to get away from the wet, cold and snowy NY.

If you want to look up other trails in your area, go to www.singletracks.com

Chicopee is awsome!:D

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Invasion of the Old Cronies! And her comes SK6 of the 2002 Kona Zimmer! With built in denture holds and collostomy camelbak!

:D

Old_Dude

Monkey
Thanks for the responses thus far.

Perhaps I should post another thread at the beginners section - I was also looking for an answer to the question: For $1500, or so, what's the best hardtail I can get? I just got quoted this price for a Trek 8500 which seemed like a nice, light, durable bike for the money.

Again, my goal is ultimately XC racing.

Thanks.

And, yeah, I realize newbies post questions like this everyday and, yes, I realize everyone else gets a bit perturbed because of the variety of bikes and opinions going along with it - but geez - there are so many bikes out there in this price range. Next summer I might get a FS bike, but honestly, beyond $2.5K and I'd rather get a nice used MX bike instead (sorry).

R

RideMonkey

I went ahead and moved this to the beginner forum.

Nothing wrong about asking what bikes are good......... I'll come up with a few of my favs in a bit.

:monkey:

R

RideMonkey

No not 100, check the announcements at the top of each forum for some instructions on how to get one.

:monkey:

Old_Dude

Monkey
Originally posted by Yossarian

The pic is a little small, but I think I can Identify that trail. It appears to be the Dwelling loop at Blankets Creek. Am I right?
Yes, that's correct, Blankets Creek - with my tank, er, I mean Trek 4500 added also.

BTW - Yossarian, would you mind giving me your opinion of the Trek 8500 - my purpose would be XC racing on a "recreational" level - just for fun.

Thanks!

BTW - there's work to be done this Saturday at Blankets Creek - start at 9:00 a.m., tools & lunch provided - bring work gloves, boots, et cetera. Should be a good time.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
I will look arounds and give you my opinion on the trek. Dou you have a link for the specs and such.

I might just show up for trail maintenance. I did some work back in August or September on the Advanced trail. do you know if they are working on the Advanced trail or the beginner trail? Are they going to have the Dingo out there? I want to see that machine in action.

deroyo

French Monkey Instigator Supreme!
Jul 3, 2001
Not on my BIKE!!!
I will look arounds and give you my opinion on the trek. Dou you have a link for the specs and such.

I might just show up for trail maintenance. I did some work back in August or September on the Advanced trail. do you know if they are working on the Advanced trail or the beginner trail? Are they going to have the Dingo out there? I want to see that machine in action.

Hmmmmm,a Dingo!!! Could we have a report on it?
How about monday morning,on my desk?:p
No seriously, I've heard good things about it,but never first hand imfo,always "I have a friend who has a friend who saw it...
"You know what I mean?
Also someone that talks the lingo...
Trail maintenance,yeah!!!!
Give back to the trail what we have taken away from it! TLC:love: :love:

deroyo

French Monkey Instigator Supreme!
Jul 3, 2001
Not on my BIKE!!!
I haven't actually seen it yet. There was a picture of one in a mag. It Seems as if South Carolina Sorba has one too.
Yeah I've seen pics of it also,but if you see it let me know what you think of it.PLEASE!!!!

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
PM Old Dude. He sounds like he has done a bit more Trail Mtnc with the guys who have possession of the machine. He might have actually seen it and might be able to put you in contact with them. If I can figure out who to contact, I will talk to them & get back to you.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
this is about 100 bucks over 1500 (and that's for last years model) but this is a sweet ride --- nice steel frame that oughta last you for years and a good overall spec........
bianchi grizzly

just my .02
O_D_D