Quantcast

Just thinking about the little ripper thread

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Evilbob did a good thing in keeping the injured biker calm. That's something they teach you in a first aid class.

Being in roofing i have to take one of those every year or so. But i'm glad i do since i've used what i've learned on the trail on others and myself.

Just puttin it out there for some of you guys to think about, it's a good way to help a fellow biker out just in case there's an accident.

And it's always good to know how to direct 911 help to where you're going to be at. Years back we had a hell of a time getting the ambulance to an injured rider out at Capitol Forest. Try to be alert, and informed enough to make good decisions if you are ever called upon to help.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
had to do it for a friend for the first time last year and it was most unpleasant. that half hour seemed like a very long time to be there alone with somebody who was seriously messed up and in pain. it was also very annoying that the dispatcher was in a totally different town and wouldn't put me through to the local fire department that was less than a mile away and presumably knew the area.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
knowing first aid/cpr is an awesome responsibility, in the true sense of the word. All mtbers should have 1st aid training fo sho, probably first responder but not everybody has time for that.

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
yeah evilbob knew what was up, and a point that the lil rippers mom made is that the surrounding riders reaction to the injury can have a huge effect on the fallen riders. (i.e. when the little ripper went down, everyone around kept their cool and his bro just laid him back and told him to look at his shin, and the kid was a trooper, stayed cool through the whole things)

-if you want more info on this (with pics) go to: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178691

being in this sport everyone should take some basic CPR/firt aid training. I have taken many from working at the YMCA , but I have seen some dudes FREAK out when something happens and make it worse. But, we all know we will be near it soon..not that I want any of us to be...but its the reality..... :( Just ask 13 concusion Kim! ;)

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
being in this sport everyone should take some basic CPR/firt aid training. I have taken many from working at the YMCA , but I have seen some dudes FREAK out when something happens and make it worse. But, we all know we will be near it soon..not that I want any of us to be...but its the reality..... :( Just ask 13 concusion Kim! ;)
or Z shaped wrist eren, god damn that suxed, especially when one friend says you wrist is just dislocated or when the other friend go Dude does that hurt, the whole mile walking out the trail.

although stephen has some gross stories or trachiometry's (wow spelling) done with keys and compound fractures both to the leg and arm:plthumbsdown:

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
a) when you cannot transport them
b)when you suspect spinal/head injury (other then minor concusssion)
c)compound fracture
d)major bleeding (arterial)
e)severe shock
f)heat stroke (know the difference between this and other heat related stuff, I'm not teaching online 1st aid)
g) cardiac arrest (duh)

im sure somebody will jump in and catch the ones i missed

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
When I broke my colar bone the guy I was with lied to me and said it was fine. I knew somthing was wrong, it would have been better if he had just told me the truth. It took an hour to get to the car and he stoped to get somthing to eat before taking me to the hospital, jerk...