Quantcast

just tryed a new cocktail...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cash-Money said:
i had some jose cuervo gold layin' around, and couldnt decide what do to with it. My roommate (after mild google-ing) suggested jose and ginger. So one bottle of thomas kemper ginger ale and 5oz of tequilla later... i write thios
Call me an elitist snob, I probably deserve it, but that sounds nasty and Cuervo Gold doesn't deserve to be called "tequila." It's like calling Sun Country "wine." CG is distilled primarily from sugar (sugar cane?), not agave, and that is the reason it tastes like poo and gives you nasty headaches. At least spring for Hornitos or anything else that is 100% agave.

There is a bar in SF that has no hard liquor other than tequila. If you order Cuervo Gold they charge you three times as much as if you ordered real tequila. Seriously.

Edit: PS, "tried."

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
OGRipper said:
Call me an elitist snob, I probably deserve it, but that sounds nasty and Cuervo Gold doesn't deserve to be called "tequila." It's like calling Sun Country "wine." CG is distilled primarily from sugar (sugar cane?), not agave, and that is the reason it tastes like poo and gives you nasty headaches. At least spring for Hornitos or anything else that is 100% agave.

There is a bar in SF that has no hard liquor other than tequila. If you order Cuervo Gold they charge you three times as much as if you ordered real tequila. Seriously.

Edit: PS, "tried."
I totally despise Cuervo anything, but i've never heard that it's distilled differently from real tequila.

Any info to the contrary would be personally very satisfying.

It's not just the headaches - it's the nasty-ass burn on the way down.

well considering my suitemates were drinking montezuma... the cuervo tastes leaps and bounds better. At home, my mother keeps the bar stocked with patron, however I'm too poor.

oh, and the spelling errors might have been to do with the liquor (that's my story and i'm sticking with it)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cash-Money said:
well considering my suitemates were drinking montezuma... the cuervo tastes leaps and bounds better. At home, my mother keeps the bar stocked with patron, however I'm too poor.

oh, and the spelling errors might have been to do with the liquor (that's my story and i'm sticking with it)
Fair enough...

Yeah Nobody, I am too lazy to find a link for you but if you check it out, there is a bright line distinction between 100% agave tequilas and everything else. The real stuff usually says 100% agave, while it's conspicuously absent from the others' lablels.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I won't drink anything that isn't Agave (I prefer Blue) and nothing cheaper than Sauza. But I can say that I will try Sauza and Ginger Ale.

Sounds interesting.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So here is more than you will ever want to know about tequila:

http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/tequila_index.html

Mexican law requires that anything labled "tequila" have at least 51% agave. Unless it is labled 100% agave, the rest is usually sugar. And if it's not produced in Mexico, it might not even be required to have 51%:

"Some manufacturers use cane or brown sugar cones (piloncillo) to speed fermentation to be able to use immature and fewer plants. This type of tequila can be sold in bulk for shipping out of the country, and can be bottled anywhere, including other countries where the regulations regarding agave content are not necessarily maintained. These tequilas are called mixto, and will not be labelled 100% agave, which purists demand. After fermentation is finished, the must may be left another 12 hours to richen and settle before distillation."