Quantcast

Just visited Portland

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
1,566
0
Los Angeles
Great city you guys have there. It rained all five days I was in town (last wed-mon). For a Socal guy thats a bummer, but it's so pretty and downtown is great. Portland City Grill at happy hour....nuff said.
I hit up some supper fun bars, Tube, 15, McMilligins, Lime Light, some greek place, Doug Fur, ect. I ate excellent food at cheap prices. Every bar or restraunt I went to played the best music. Not the mainstream crap that gets played out in my town, but good underground stuff.

Pretty amazing scenery.I checked out the Gorge for a day of hiking and waterfall action. Went to Mt. Hood to look around. Wanted to go to the coast ( I surf too), but didn't. I here Seaside has some really nice locals.

Overall I had a great time. I stayed with some friends in Sillwood aka Pleasant Ville. Personally I'd move a little further out from the city. Somewhere with a more woodsy feel. Anyway, I love your city and the next time I come back, I'll have my bike.....and I won't be leaving. :)

Props Portland.
 

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
5,119
6
Witness relocation housing
ncrider said:
I here Seaside has some really nice locals.
.
AHAHAHAHA,. Thats one of the funniest things ive heard. So, either someone was pulling your chain, or somone put happy drugs in the locals coolaid. I grew up in Seaside, and the locals back in the late 80-90's were pretty fierce. Ive seen cars completly waxed because the surfers were from out of town... or portland Kooks as they called them. Ive seen other things too that are too crude to mention......

If you make it back, go south to Cannon Beach, and Oswald St park. That beach is called SurfSands and is really cool. Portland does rock. Sometimes i miss living there, but we still visit alot.
 

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
10,165
724
Bend, Oregon
On that note, I will be there October 21 & 22 primarily for riding. Where should I go for some excellent xc? And, does anyone want to join me and show me around on the ride?
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
I livedin Portland for about 10 years and it is a great town. The gorge is fantastic, but the close in riding options are pretty limited.
 

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
1,566
0
Los Angeles
oly said:
AHAHAHAHA,. Thats one of the funniest things ive heard. So, either someone was pulling your chain, or somone put happy drugs in the locals coolaid.
No, it was just pure sarcasim. I've heard some really bad stories about the seaside locals. Whatever, I grew up in extremely localized breaks and I know the drill.
 

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
66
0
Portland
oly said:
If you make it back, go south to Cannon Beach, and Oswald St park. That beach is called SurfSands and is really cool. Portland does rock. Sometimes i miss living there, but we still visit alot.
I've got to agree, the Seaside locals back in the late 80's were pretty brutal. Which I thought was pretty funny sence there were pretty few surfers in the pacific north west. I had just moved up from Newport beach Ca. and found myself laughing everytime a "local" would make noise about the over crowding of "their" breaks. Anyways I'm glad you had a good visit. Next time you come up pm me and I'll take my board out of moth balls and show you the good spots on the north Oregon coast (and fight off the locals) :) Shortsands as mentioned above is one of the prettiest cove's I had ever seen in my life. The first time I surfed the I wached in amazement as a Doe and her fawn ran up the beach in the morning fog. At the time I was used to seeing people passed out on the beach with large Sand cleaning machinery opperating around them. (Oh how I miss sothern California)
 

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
5,119
6
Witness relocation housing
ncrider said:
No, it was just pure sarcasim. I've heard some really bad stories about the seaside locals. Whatever, I grew up in extremely localized breaks and I know the drill.
Lol, I'd have to think the SoCal surf scene would be 10x that of the seaside punks. Seaside is a cool place, but very tourist driven. The Point is a big dangerous spot, and in the right conditions world class. But most the time rest of the area is just mushy beach breaks, and its cold, and there are great whites in the water.
 

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
5,119
6
Witness relocation housing
LIPS said:
Shortsands as mentioned above is one of the prettiest cove's I had ever seen in my life. The first time I surfed the I wached in amazement as a Doe and her fawn ran up the beach in the morning fog. At the time I was used to seeing people passed out on the beach ................

I guess you werent ever there when we escaped seaside for spring break to camp at Shortsands. As highschoolers it was a sure bust to party in town, so we took it down there. SS is also good because its south facing and can get some real good waves when the rest of the area is bunk. And as ya said, the scenery is amazing.....

ok, enough memories for one day.... :)
 

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
255
0
Hipsterville USA
Heidi said:
On that note, I will be there October 21 & 22 primarily for riding. Where should I go for some excellent xc? And, does anyone want to join me and show me around on the ride?

I'm a newcomer here, but so far I've enjoyed riding out in the coastal range at Browns Camp (commonly referred to by at least 8,000,000 other names as well) and the Knebal Springs/8mile Creek loops near Mt. Hood.

I don't think I could ride with you on the 21st, but I could possibly hook up on the 22nd.
 

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
66
0
Portland
oly said:
I guess you werent ever there when we escaped seaside for spring break to camp at Shortsands. As highschoolers it was a sure bust to party in town, so we took it down there. SS is also good because its south facing and can get some real good waves when the rest of the area is bunk. And as ya said, the scenery is amazing.....

ok, enough memories for one day.... :)
No we were busy up in town getting the cops so pissed off that now you can't drive a car in the "gut" during spring break. Did you happen to know Brandon Rich?
 

koffee

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
69
0
I am currently trying to get the gut's to move to the Portland area. It is tough coming from Boston. How is the job/house market? And what about social life for a single guy?
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,411
0
SF
Heidi said:
On that note, I will be there October 21 & 22 primarily for riding. Where should I go for some excellent xc? And, does anyone want to join me and show me around on the ride?
The place to go in town is Forest Park. A few blocks from Fat Tire Farm in NW Portland, it is an excellent place, but you might have to ask nicely for the "best" trails.

Also Hood is very nice, but you will probably need a map.
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,411
0
SF
koffee said:
I am currently trying to get the gut's to move to the Portland area. It is tough coming from Boston. How is the job/house market? And what about social life for a single guy?
1. tons of social life.
2. at one point, the unemployment rate was the highest in the nation for cities. it has improved since then.
3. 100 stripbars and many of them have little or no cover and charge regular prices for beers and drinks (as opposed to the ridiculous overcharges at most strip bars across america).
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
Heidi said:
On that note, I will be there October 21 & 22 primarily for riding. Where should I go for some excellent xc? And, does anyone want to join me and show me around on the ride?
Haag Lake is some interesting XC, but you can't ride when it is wet. They clay soil there sticks to everything like oatmeal.

EDIT -- Not exactly in Portland but it is a great ride is, Larch Mountain. There is parking at the summit so you have a few options how you want to ride it.
 

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
255
0
Hipsterville USA
koffee said:
I am currently trying to get the gut's to move to the Portland area. It is tough coming from Boston. How is the job/house market? And what about social life for a single guy?
The city is cool, people are great but the job situation isn't fantastic, housing is probably much less expensive that what you're used to seeing out there.

I'll tell you what though, I've been seriously missing the NE lately and you have it pretty good by living up near Boston. It's a totally different type of riding out here...I guess you're good at what you're used to riding...but for the most part, I could go for a dose of gold old east coast style riding.

If you're seriously thinking about moving out here, get out and ride 'Nam as often as you can, because you're going to miss it once you're here. I didn't realize how easy I had it when I lived in Providence...just a short drive to any number of trails, plus there was some world class natural trials riding just 15-20min away.
 

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
1,890
0
Colorado
Hey sean, I dont have a current email or phone number for you, I deleted that meail from a while ago by accident. if you get chance reply here or send me an email at philip.wheeler@colorado.edu. Hopefully you still get email notifications from here and will see this. Hope everything is going well.

Snoogins, Phildo

Sorry to everyone else in the thread