Quantcast

Just want a little advice.

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
I somewhat have a dilemia here. I have about $200 dollers to spend on bike related items and i'm not sure which items on my list would the money would be best spent on. Here is my list of items I want and price. The shock is to replace my oem shock that came on my haro x1 that i use for xc/fr. Also i do not know how to true or build rims. So i'm not sure if i should buy all the tools now and let them sit till i need them or till i can afford to build something with them like a set of wheels. Any help would be usefull, still new to this sport and not sure what I should be buying first.

1. tool tray for my repair stand $20
2. carrying bag for repair stand $20
3. ABA membership $45
4. truing stand $59
5. 5th element shock $150
6. various tools and small parts $50

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
1. Do you really need a carry bag for your repair stand?
2. Don't bother with the trueing stand. You can learn trueing with the wheel in the frame. It's really not worth buying one until you're good, which in the case of trueing wheels can take years.

I'd just ensure I had every tool I needed to strip and rebuild my bike, preferably from Park, or another good bike tool company. Save the rest for bits that break or it turns out you don't like after a few good long rides. You may want to change the saddle and grips (for example) to a personal preference.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i wouldn't get a truing stand unless it was the Park TS-2. like Changleen said, you can learn to true in your frame, but after doing that a while, it get so damn annoying.

the first bits of my money went towards tools. then a workstand. then upgrades. then my TS-2.