Quantcast

Just wanted to say thanks...

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I posted this up in another local forum. I was moving and found a bunch of parts I was hanging onto as spares, or just considered as junk and had around that I didn't really want to move. Threw them all up locally online asking "Best Offer" for anything, and I got a number of surprising responses:

"...thank you to the couple of guys who contacted me regarding my "Parts for sale or else they go in the trash" post in the For Sale forum who were building bikes for kids who are less fortunate than others.

You are the real hero's of our sport. I've never seen a post from any of you complaining or whining, and yet you're out there wanting to spend your hard earned dough in these tough times to get a kid who wouldn't have a chance otherwise on a bike.

We could all take a lesson from them. Bikes aren't about the flashiest parts, the flatest hats, the most "trick kit". Bikes are about having fun. Doing wheelie contests with your friends, getting dirty, getting hurt, and who gives a f***.

Find that kid in your town that can't afford a bike but is so psyched to ride. Hook them up. Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest gear, just get them riding, get them having fun. You can be 15 years old, I KNOW you have a spare derailleur or set of tires hanging around. f***, i'll PAY you to set them up with the gear they need if that's what it takes.

Some of the best riders come from nothing. Keep that in mind."

Something to think about next time you're swapping your gear out, at the very least.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Cool post, with LBS employees in my house, we get kicked alot of things, and we kick people alot of stuff. Stoked that we got some new riders this year.

Jun 20, 2007
Great post. Good of you to give your stuff away like that, even better for those that take the time to pick up the parts and assemble the bikes. Good stuff.