Quantcast

Just watched Earthed 2

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
...and the riding was in-f'ing-credible. I particularly liked that Mick Hannah section at the end. The guy has far more skill than he's given credit for.

However that soundrack made me want to eat my brains...what were they thinking???? Who actually listens to that music??

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Are you crazy? That music was really good/ went with the video. I mostly like most rock: metal, rock, hard rock, punk, classic rock, but I like other music too if it sounds good. I liked the song used in the mx track where the opening ceremony was, it went with it so well.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
The music will kind of grow on you after a while. Personally, I think "Earthed 2" is my favorite bike video of all time, so I just deal with some of the strange music...

To answer your question, I don't know who listens to that type of music...maybe it's popular in Europe.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
bomberboy11 said:
(1) I can appreciate all types of music except whatever the hell it was they were playing in that movie.

(2) I can't believe someone actually likes that soundtrack.
(1) I don't think so. the soundtrack has some outstanding music that probably is more artistically valuable than you think.

(2) I think every song is good except the Joy Division song used for the Donoghue and Cunynghame section, it's a poor choice from Joy Division and suits the segment only in that it's greasy English music for 2 greasy English riders.

Bomberboy, what music do you listen to, and how old are you? If you're not familiar with independent (non-radioplay) music from the late 70s and early 80s, you won't even recognize the music from Earthed 2.

you can watch just about any other mtb vid to hear boolshyte emo, lousy speedmetal, stupid hate rap, other stuff. Alex Rankin's videos have more to offer than the flavor of the month in Poor White Trash musical tastes.

You need to remember that Alex Rankin is making HIS video with HIS music choices. He's not making it for you. So the choices reflect what he wants, not what he thinks you want.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
gonzostrike said:
You need to remember that Alex Rankin is making HIS video with HIS music choices. He's not making it for you. So the choices reflect what he wants, not what he thinks you want.
I agree with you on the music. I liked the soundtrack from Earthed 2 a lot as well.
But your point up above is not true.
He puts music in his videos that he hopes hits the target market of his audience. Because music is part of what makes someone buy this vid or that vid.
Therefore, the music he selects is chosen so that he can sell the maximum number of videos, so he can have a bigger budget for Earthed 3.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
gonzostrike said:
(2) I think every song is good except the Joy Division song used for the Donoghue and Cunynghame section, it's a poor choice from Joy Division and suits the segment only in that it's greasy English music for 2 greasy English riders.

Really? I like the Joy Division song. Maybe they could have used a better JD song, but it's still sick to see somebody put a long forgotten band in a vid. Probably one of my favorite on the vid except for the Cure song or the opening San Diego song.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Maybe my musical tastes were too narrow growing up or something....because I was trying to find music with talent. There wasnt a single song on there with a singer who could actually sing. I suppose the calm instrumental songs were pretty good (such as the Mick Hannah section at the end), kind of Collective-esque, but I couldn't bear to listen to those jokers try to sing.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
bomberboy11 said:
Maybe my musical tastes were too narrow growing up or something....because I was trying to find music with talent. There wasnt a single song on there with a singer who could actually sing. I suppose the calm instrumental songs were pretty good (such as the Mick Hannah section at the end), kind of Collective-esque, but I couldn't bear to listen to those jokers try to sing.
So you must love Celine Dion :thumb:

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
I found the music excellent, I must admit that apart from the Ballroom Blitz, there were not any song I had ever heard of. But, after watching the movie several times, I really start to enjoy all the songs, and since the last weekend, I have the entire soundtrack on my Sony Minidisc and listen to it while DH'ing.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
gonzostrike said:
HA! That's rich. That's like saying something like getting into a really uncomfortable car sear and getting the explanation like "hey, the designer at Ford designed it for himself, so what do you care?"

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I always blast Earthed2, because the soundtrack is wonderful. I'll sometimes watch it just for the music...but everyone has an opinion about the music, it seems. The soundtrack in Synopsis is nice, as well...but I found there was a bit too much jazz between the sections for my liking.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
JRogers said:
HA! That's rich. That's like saying something like getting into a really uncomfortable car sear and getting the explanation like "hey, the designer at Ford designed it for himself, so what do you care?"
I think you misunderstand me.

if you were making a MTB video, who would you assign to choose the music?

the intended audience?

if so, tell us how you'd achieve that mixdown in time to create the DVD before the century ends.

artists create art for their vision's sake.

Alex Rankin strikes me more as an artist, and less as a Businessman trying to "sell product" with all the B.S. that that ungrammatic statement ("product" is singular, not plural) implies.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
ncrider said:
Really? I like the Joy Division song. Maybe they could have used a better JD song, but it's still sick to see somebody put a long forgotten band in a vid. Probably one of my favorite on the vid except for the Cure song or the opening San Diego song.
Joy Division has about 60 songs. That means about 59 of them were better than the one I bytched about!

MOST of the songs on Earthed 2 are from that same era, not modern at all. the newest is "Cement Mixer" by Clinic and even that's not all that new.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
50 cent (if that's what you were trying to say in e-ebonics) would have only been marginally better. It's DH racing, shouldn't the music have some edge to it?? I don't mean metal necessarily, but not something that will just put me to sleep.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The only song, I have heard was ball room blitz which is good. I liked most everything else too. I'm going to make a soundtrack of earthed 2.

I don't really like rap. I like some hip hop when it has a cool sound like subculture by styles of beyond.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
mtnbrider said:
I don't really like rap. I like some hip hop when it has a cool sound like subculture by styles of beyond.
There is alot of music out there that is similar to Styles of Beyond,
or better. You just ain't gonna find it on the radio.
I love that kind of music for videos because it just seems to flow better than screaming speed metal dude who did not get enough hugs growing up. ;)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I mostly listen to all rock except the new poppy stuff (iron maiden, rage against the machine,stone temple pilots, rolling stones, creme, motley crue, red hot chili peppers, ramones....

What is some other bands that sound like styles of beyond. Do you know which cd has subculture- the original un remixed version from The Circus.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
There are a good number of good hip-hop groups...i'm listening to Jurrassic 5's quality control right now...probably one of my favorite albums.