Quantcast

"Justice" from the Ivy League

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
PaWN readers:

interested in what is taught in the most popular undergrad political philosophy course at dear ol' Harvard? use an iPod or at least iTunes? if so, PM me and i'll send you a link to your choice of audio-only or video podcasts of the course described below. it's a full semester's worth: 24 hour-long lectures. sandel is an excellent lecturer, btw.

coursedescription said:
Harvard University Fall Semester, 2007
Professor Michael Sandel
Justice Online

A critical analysis of classical and contemporary theories of justice, including discussion of
present-day applications. The course examines debates about justice prominent in moral and
political philosophy, and invites students to subject their own views on these controversies to
critical examination.

The principle readings for the course are texts by Aristotle, John Locke, Immanuel Kant, John
Stuart Mill, and John Rawls. Other assigned readings include excerpts from Jeremy Bentham and
contemporary writers such as Robert Nozick, Ronald Dworkin, Alasdair MacIntyre, Michael
Sandel, and Michael Walzer.
syllabus: http://download.yousendit.com/936D8B4B34F5E404

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
You can check the Yale Intro to Political Philosophy here in mp3 or .mov

This course is intended as an introduction to political philosophy as seen through an examination of some of the major texts and thinkers of the Western political tradition. Three broad themes that are central to understanding political life are focused upon: the polis experience (Plato, Aristotle), the sovereign state (Machiavelli, Hobbes), constitutional government (Locke), and democracy (Rousseau, Tocqueville). The way in which different political philosophies have given expression to various forms of political institutions and our ways of life are examined throughout the course.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
WTF.....Way too f*cking long. Take notes for me Toshi.:twitch:
I'm thinking two four minutes lectures from a community college would be better appreciated by this audience. And that is only if at some point the lecturer gets hit in the groin by a football.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I'm thinking two four minutes lectures from a community college would be better appreciated by this audience. And that is only if at some point the lecturer gets hit in the groin by a football.
or there's boobs involved...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
did any of you plum smugglers actually watch or listen to this?